It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
Kat22

Default Scratching

Hello,

I posted about Mushka in the introduction section of this forum.

Mushka is doing great still waiting for the forever home.

I am new to taking care of a cat, so there are few things that I need to understand

Scratching!

Mushka is a very sweet and gentle cat, but when he is in a playing mood, he would scratch you if you get your hands close to him (only when he is in a playing mood...playing with a toy for example). If I had a set of keys in my hands for example, Mushka will come running towards me and scratch again.. Is there anyway I can teach him not to do that? He can scratch but not me lol It really hurts sometimes.

Another thing, there is a noise that Mushka makes, a noise within his body that kindda goes like purrr or kurrr..What is this noise? and why do cats make it?

Thanks for any input you would provide

Kat

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Poisoncupcake

Lately I've been reading a TON of material on training young cats to behave. My kitten is insane right now and I have the wounds to prove it! I think the thing that has helped me the most is positive reinforcement. When I give him attention and play with him around the times that he is actually being calm and good he realizes that he doesn't have to attack me to get attention. He is rewarded for his good behavior, rather than always being punished for the bad. My cat has a feisty personality and will get angry back when I get angry. By showing your cat that he doesn't have to initiate the play and he gets attention when he is good, he should stop attacking you as often! If that doesn't help, you could start taking away attention when he behaves badly. Remove yourself from the room and leave him alone for a few minutes until he is calm. He'll realize that he doesn't get attention when he attacks. I'm not sure about the noise, unless you mean the noise when he is about to attack! The noise that kitties make when they kind of shake their butts from side to side before they jump at you.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-04-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hello !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat22 View Post
Hello,

I posted about Mushka in the introduction section of this forum.

Mushka is doing great still waiting for the forever home.

I am new to taking care of a cat, so there are few things that I need to understand

Scratching!

Mushka is a very sweet and gentle cat, but when he is in a playing mood, he would scratch you if you get your hands close to him (only when he is in a playing mood...playing with a toy for example). If I had a set of keys in my hands for example, Mushka will come running towards me and scratch again.. Is there anyway I can teach him not to do that? He can scratch but not me lol It really hurts sometimes.

Another thing, there is a noise that Mushka makes, a noise within his body that kindda goes like purrr or kurrr..What is this noise? and why do cats make it?

Thanks for any input you would provide

Kat
I think what Mushka is doing is normal, if a cat gets excited, this is probably his "legal" reaction.. hehe.. (this is his nature to scratch) But his behavior can be trainned, in a nice way, you know ? You can direct him to scratch other objects rather than making you his scratch object. I happened to read a very good article about scratching too, a contribution by Debbie (for her blog), one of the members of this forum, I'd like to share the link to this article with you : (hope he can break his bad habits)

The Frenzied Feline

About the noise : When he is petted or stroked, that is the sign (in feline language), telling you, he likes it, or he is satisfied with it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-04-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool

You need to buy him scratching posts & cat trees. Mine have many in different shapes & sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
angry , art , attack , attacking , behavior , blog , calm , care , cat , cats , great , hey , home , introduction , kitten , kitties , legal , nice , personality , pet , play , playing , rescue , scratching , stop , training

Sponsored Cat Links