It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
dajonx

Default Uh oh... Leather Furniture... :x

Hi! I have two 4-month old sibling kittens and they like to scratch stuff. I bought a tall scratching post and a small (sort of looks like a "S" shape) scratching item and put catnip on them to entice them more. They both seem to like those items and when I see them scratching it, I give them praise and treats. Yet when I come home from work, I notice all of these scratches and puncture holes on the leather furniture (yeah, I didn't think cats would be so attracted to leather...) and chairs. I've tried spraying a citrus scented air freshener and lemon juice diluted with water, but it doesn't seem to phase them. I've covered the "hot spots" with tin foil, but they scratch around it. When I see them scratching, I either spray them with water, hiss loudly, or say "No!". I know I need to trim their nails, but they don't like their paws being rubbed or touched. So far, I've made some progress in touching their paws without being scratched and gave them treats for that. But in the meantime, is there anything I can do to save the furniture?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

There's no way for us to SCARE them away, coz it's their nature to scratch. During the occupation of my Princess Tiger at the restaurant (she initally appeared in the reastaurant kitchen), she enjoyed the same habbit (actually, one of the waitresses hates her so much that I must take her home to be with Lady Fergie). After several attempts to stop her (the nice way), we gave up, we'd rather have the leather chairs scratched, coz many of our customers enjoy her being around the restaurant, she eventually became our Restaurant MASCOT, besides a huge Teddy Bear from London. They would ask for her when for sometimes I didn''t bring her to the restaurant. lolz ....
After we got used to it and I eventually found this site, I noticed that some of the members seem know what to do ... try to check it out in other posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Not too much to do Irene. Cats are mad about leather & rubber also
I think the best will be to clip the kittens clawickies a little bit...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-26-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I agree ..
Unread 03-26-2009   #5 (permalink)
dajonx

I've had a major breakthrough!! I was able to clip one nail per cat last night. They didn't put up a fight, but I could tell they didn't like it. I didn't want to push my luck so I stopped at one nail. :P

Do the rear paws cause damage?

Unread 03-26-2009   #6 (permalink)
crablady

i know how much cats can put up a fight, they can suddenly become octopuses. Try papoosing her in a towel and have some one else hold her and soother her while you work on one paw at a time. my friend does her cat that way.

Unread 03-26-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Nail clipping experience

I heard about the towel wrapping thing.. and a friend of mine really has a charm, even on my kitty the charm worked, of course it is not true , I noticed that she was talking to them and used one hand to cover kitty's eyes, then skilfully do the clipping ! I used to strugle to, but not anymore .. I don't use those 2 methods, but I invented a new method, if you want to try : do it while they are asleep .. It really works easily..
Unread 03-26-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yes, but he/she must hurry up!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-26-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

If you can't finish all at once, then wait for the next round lol
Unread 03-26-2009   #10 (permalink)
dajonx

I didn't wrap them because I think they're scared of the blanket especially when they see me coming at them with the blanket. My fiancee held them and rubbing them while I was talking gently and rubbing around their paws. Then I took the paw and clipped that nail! :P

I have never clipped a nail and felt so GOOD! :P

Tags
cat , catnip , cats , clip , clipping , cool , eyes , fight , found , fur , furniture , hey , hiss , home , kittens , kitty , nails , nice , night , paw , save , scared , scratch , scratching , small , stop , water

Sponsored Cat Links