It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
lynnbaggs

Exclamation Insanely misbehaved kitty

Hello! I'm new to this site, but I was hoping I could get some help! My cat is an american curl/lynx mix (and who knows what else). She's a sweetie, but she is so bad! I CANNOT train her at all! I have tried everything. She bites when you try to pet her, unless she decides she wants attention. She chews on toes if she can get to them, no matter what you do. She is constantly on the table trying to get food at dinnertime. And whatever she can get her paws on, she knocks over. (and I mean EVERYTHING) She won't stay off of counters. I swear she never rests and is hyper. She will absolutely not leave you alone if you're eating. I've tried giving her a can of food before we eat, or even treats, but she quickly forgets about her food and wants people food. (which she never gets, I don't want to reward her for misbehaving!) If she knocks one more thing off of the counter I'm going to go insane. And I don't even leave much on the counter. One day she even had my money out of my purse! I have no clue how she accomplished it. I have to keep the bathroom door shut, or everything in the bathroom will be on the floor. I have to shut her out of the bedroom in the morning because she'll chew the power cord to the lamp and alarm clock and yank everything onto the floor. I've tried rewarding good behavior, and i've tried swatting her rear when she's on the counter. Nothing has any effect on her at all. I'm lost. I'm at my witt's end, and I don't want to put her up for adoption because I know nobody else will put up with her behavior. She is not starved for attention at all either. I've started playing with her constantly to try to tire her out some. Fail. She has tons of toys, good food, is well taken care of, has a ton of play time (me and her). I just don't get it. Our house is more child proofed than someone that has a two year old child. This cat has spilled more drinks than a child also. We cannot use our coffee table. She'll jump up, knock everything off (including full glasses, coasters, remotes EVERYTHING) in a matter of seconds and be gone. HELP. Please help It's gotten to the point that we lock her OUT of rooms constantly now, and lock her IN a bedroom when we try to eat. If she's not begging at dinner time, she's biting my feet while I'm trying to have a family meal. I've never had a cat so badly behaved. She's not mean, which is probably the only reason I still have her. She doesn't attack people, she just seems to think it's OK to chew on us. YIKES.....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
lynnbaggs

I know this has been a long post, but I just wanted to add that she's even resorted to dumping trash cans!!! I can't stand it!!! She is getting worse with every step we take! She is VERY well taken care of, she gets attention constantly, well fed, you name it! I just cannot understand her behavior.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-30-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile I understand your situation, my dear ..

First of all, is your cat declawed ? Of course I hope the answer is "NO"..How old is she ? She sounds spoilt, but I think God gave you a genius cat (she got your money out of your purse) !
A very good website was introduced by one of the members of this site, it may help you understand more of your kitty, including her aggressions towards people, her natural behavior, how to treat the stressed out cat, etc (attached below). I think yes, maybe she is hyper as my Princess Tiger was when she was younger, and before she's fixed. But, I would always tolerate EVERYTHING my cat did to me and my house. This is her house anyway.. And I realize it is her nature to scratch, bite, cheew, or knock things off. But thank God, with lots of tolerance and patience, this effort pay off, she is much more gentle now, (I never punished her), I told her : "this is also your FUR-niture, so if you wish to keep it, I'll appreciate it". Then of course, my house is also baby safe ! Everytime she knocked things off, I would cool myself down, believe me, human's aggression could affect her as well, she would behave even worse. My princess is now my favorite cat, and has had created less and less and less troubles each day. I love her the way she is, she's my best friend, her affectionate character continues to grow, but with less troubles. Wishing you many happy years with your fur-baby !

Aggression Towards Other Cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 03-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum!

How old is this cat? Is she spayed? If not, get her spayed first thing.

Have you considered getting another cat, so she has a feline companion to run off some of that extra energy?

I recommend you get in some feliway plug in diffusers and some rescue remedy, along with another young cat.

links for info on these products are in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 03-30-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Good idea Acer !

Unread 03-30-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Oh, this is sooo familiar!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 03-30-2009   #7 (permalink)
lynnbaggs

She is about a year and a half old, she is spayed, and she is declawed. Before we had her declawed we had replaced window screens, curtains, and have since gotten new furniture. I will have to try getting her a companion and look for some of those items mentioned, thank you. I love her to death. I try not to ever yell at her, or reprimand her. I had a couple times when she had ruined things or broke things, and It didn't help and I felt bad ha ha And I can deal with mostly everything, but I swear she is like a full grown adult running through the house knocking everything on the floor she can get her hands on. Thanks again! I will stop at the pet store and see what I can find

Unread 03-30-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

My dear, below is an article from the website link i gave you earlier :

The Truth About Declawing
"Declawing is an inhumane, unnecessary procedure that has many alternatives. It is never in the cat's best interest. With declawing, we are interfering with a species' nature because of our own whims, mis-conceptions, misinformation, and sometimes, laziness." Neil Wolff, D.V.M.
Dr. Nicholas Dodman, author of The cat Who Cried for Help, and director of the Animal Behavior Clinic at Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine has the following to say about the procedure: "Declawing fits the dictionary definition of mutilation to a tee. Words such as deform, disfigure, disjoint and dismember all apply to this surgery√Čin veterinary medicine, the clinical procedure serves as a model of severe pain for the testing of analgesic drugs."
Declawing is actually multiple amputations comparable to the removal of human fingertips at the first knuckle. Sensory and motor nerves are cut, damaged, and destroyed. Recovery from the surgery is a slow and painful process. This procedure can hamper the sensations and enjoyment involved in walking, running, springing, climbing, and stretching.
While declawing is a popular and lucrative practice in the United States, it is not practiced in European countries. It is, in fact, against the law, in many countries including England, Germany, and Switzerland.
Cat Owners who elect to have their paws declawed generally do so with the belief that they will never have to deal with fabric damage due to destructive scratching problems. However, paw sensitivity resulting from the declaw operation may result in litterbox avoidance and urine-soaked furnishings or carpeting.
Without its #1 defense system many declawed cats resort to nipping or biting with very little warning. They often use oral means to express their insecurity and this may also result in destructive chewing problems.
Cats, like people, react differently to physical handicaps. Some appear to be unaffected and others become nervous and defensive.
When a dramatic temperament or behavior change occurs, the cat owner often decides to take the cat to a pound or shelter or have it euthanized by a veterinarian.

Poor kitty ... It's very obvious now the reason why she's acting like that, of course it will take more patience and tolerance from her meowmy, which is called unconditional love towards your fur-baby. Wish you both many many good and happy years together though !

Unread 03-30-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Declawing is actually multiple amputations comparable to the removal of human fingertips at the first knuckle. Sensory and motor nerves are cut, damaged, and destroyed. Recovery from the surgery is a slow and painful process. This procedure can hamper the sensations and enjoyment involved in walking, running, springing, climbing, and stretching.

Unread 03-30-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Angry

xxx

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
addition , adult , animal , another cat , attack , baby , bad behavior , bad cat , behavior , bite , bites , biting , care , cat , cats , chewing , claws , cut , defensive , dogs , eating , environment , facts , fast , fights , friends , fur , furniture , girl , great , happy , hey , highland lynx , home , house , hyper , interesting , jumping , kitty , lost , love , mat , nervous , new to this , nice , pet , playing , problems , rescue , scratching , shelter , smell , spayed , stop , story , surgery , toys , vet , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links