It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-05-2009   #1 (permalink)
Ne0n Zero

Default New Cat Attacking Dog

We adopted a cat/kitten (~9mo) from a rescue a few days ago, and she was fine the first three days, but now she has taken to attacking the dog. Jigsaw (the dog) just sat there and didn't do anything until about the 3rd time in a row the kitty swiped/pounced at her, then she just growled a little.

This is my first cat, and I would really love to be able to keep her. However, I don't want Jigs to get provoked enough by the kitty attacking her to fight back and seriously injure her.

I'm thinking it could have been a territorial issue, because I was messing with Jigs right in front of the room that we "gave" to the kitty, so she might have been upset about that.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-05-2009   #2 (permalink)
lil_miss_freckles

I once heard that a good way of introducing animals together is to take it slow, is there anyway you can seperate the two then put something of the dogs into the room the cat is in then slowly re-introduce them, or your kitty could just be really playful try and keep her entertained buy her loads of toys make it so she doesnt have time to bother your doggy. Hope it all works out for you and I hope you keep your kitty

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Ne0n Zero

We did keep them separated at first and took it pretty slow.. Should I just start over with introducing them?

EDIT: Oh. I just noticed that's exactly what you said. Durrrr. n_n

Unread 04-05-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Default Hi, welcome !

I'm glad you took in the poor kitty from a rescue, bless your heart ! It's horrible to know that still there are many out there who aren't even able to reach a rescue to meet their basic needs...
This is normal, my friend, (I should say, it's stressful) for animals to adapt to a new environment with new acquaintances. But soon afterwards, if this process is properly handled, they will feel secure and will enjoy their new home/friendships. One thing is possitive about your situation, Jigs is a nice dog with a patient/calm personality, this is a plus. BTW, what is the name of your kitty ?
There is an interesting information on how to handle your cat's aggression (it's a step-by-step instruction on how to introduce your animals gradually, I myself found it practical), which the link you can find below :
Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

Let me share my own kitty's story...
There's a regular customer with his nice labrador in my hubby's restaurant who wants my Princess Tiger to be let out and play with his "huge" dog. Initially, I was quite reserved, didn't want my kitty to get hurt, but, surprisingly, my kitty was so fearless, curiously tried to touch, and eventually stepped on his BIG foot, and... gave him a real bite ! She was lucky, the dog is so nice to always give in to her.. This always occur when they meet, and nothing bad has happened, we all just laughed, until one day, they became good pals. I'll try to post their photo in my profile's album, as an evidence of Tiger taking the bite..LOL..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-05-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thank you for adopting a kitty from a shelter!! How old is this cat? If she is a young thing, she is probably trying to play with your Jigsaw.<in edit> I see she is nine months old, that is still a kitten and she may just be trying to play>

On the other hand she may have had bad experiences with dogs in the past and it will take her some time to realize that Jigsaw is part of her Pride now instead of the enemy. The fact that Jigsaw is not retaliating says alot about his good nature and your good training!

welcome to the board! What's your cat's name?

Some rescue remedy and/or feliway plug in diffusers may help. Info in my signature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 04-05-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: reread post..
Unread 04-05-2009   #6 (permalink)
Ne0n Zero

I don't think she was playing, she was hissing and growling at Jigs. The kitty's name is Crickette n_n

Unread 04-05-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hissing and growling is actually very normal for cats when they play, especially with females. It's all just noise.

Watch Crickette carefully. Are her claws extended? Does she draw tufts of fur, or blood? Does she cause puncture wounds when she bites?

I'm not saying for sure that I think this is play since I haven't seen it happen, of course. But if she's not puffing up and screaming battle cries, or causing serious injury..it probably is just play.

When cats play together there is often hissing and growling and noise. They tumble and kick and it looks like they are killing eachother, but if neither is running away, screaming, or acting hurt....it's just play. Since Crickette doesn't ahve another cat to play with....Jigs is it.

hey can you make a video of this? I could judge better if I could actually see her in action.

please read this first
Unread 04-05-2009   #8 (permalink)
Ne0n Zero

She was puffing up before but I'm not sure.. she sounded pretty angry. Maybe she was just playing, who knows.

I'll try and get a video of it next time it happens

Unread 04-05-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Talking Welcome Crickette !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post

Watch Crickette carefully. hey can you make a video of this? I could judge better if I could actually see her in action.
Video typing and analyzing a cat's behavior is a brilliant idea !!

Unread 04-06-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

I'm almost sure she wants to play only.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
adopted , angry , another cat , art , attacking , bite , bites , cat , dog , dogs , environment , fight , free , fun , funny , fur , growling , hissing , home , house , hurt , interesting , kitten , kitty , lost , love , nervous , new cat , new home , nice , night , play , playing , profile , rescue , scared , shelter , sleeping , story , suggestions , territorial , toys , upset , video , worry

Sponsored Cat Links