It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
emmie42

Default Any ideas?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get my 2 little cats (11 months and 9 months) to go to the toilet outside? They love their litter tray!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-11-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Question

Sorry, I can't figure out, due to lack of experience in this kind of training..
Hope someone else here can give you some useful information (I'm curious too...hehehe)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
nekohime-chan

maybe u could try moving the litter tray gradually. u know step-by-step try moving the tray closer to your door and then putting it outside, do u have a doggie/kitty door if u do try putting the tray near it that should make it easier for the cats to gain access to their beloved tray. this method usually works on dogs.

Unread 04-12-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Why do you want them to go outside?

Indoor cats are safer, healthier and live longer.

In any case it is better for them to use an indoor litter box, so you can keep track of their habits and will know if they are sick.
Unread 04-12-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt View Post
Why do you want them to go outside?

Indoor cats are safer, healthier and live longer.

In any case it is better for them to use an indoor litter box, so you can keep track of their habits and will know if they are sick.
That's the reason why I keep my cats indoor...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-12-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Me also...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 04-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
emmie42

Because they love going outdoors and I wouldn't harm their mental health by keeping them inside now as they have beengoing out since they were about 16 weeks old. They would still have a litter box at night as they are not allowed out at night.

Unread 04-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi Emmie, I'm the same as you. My girls love being outside during the day and stay in readily overnight. Pixie now goes to the loo outside all the time except overnight, but Sasha will come in especially to have a wee in the litter tray! She poos in my neighbours garden but that is another story altogether...

I had two previous cats who were out day and night and I trained them by moving the tray closer to the door, then leaving it outside and eventually spreading cat litter in the garden. It did not take them long to stop. However if your two are used to the tray being there it might never stop them using it - unless you remove it during the day, but that might confuse them and you could have a few little accidents

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 04-17-2009   #9 (permalink)
nekohime-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie42 View Post
Because they love going outdoors and I wouldn't harm their mental health by keeping them inside now as they have beengoing out since they were about 16 weeks old. They would still have a litter box at night as they are not allowed out at night.
emmie42 i think the best option right now is to decide if u want your cats to be complete indoor cat or an indoor/outdoor one. i read some where that cats are quite adaptable creatures so having your cat turned into an indoor cat is fine but if ur worried about they're mental health u must be able provide them with the same stimulations they get when they're out side so they'll see that being inside is just as fun as going outside .

My Yomi (male) used to be a in/out cat too but that changed the day he came home with a gash on his belly, caused by his habit of walking thru wired fences. So unless u know your neigborhood fairly well i suggest keeping your cats inside. Sure they'll meow like crazy the 1st few months but they'll soon get used too it, just don't forget to keep them interested.

Tags
belly , box , cats , changed , crazy , dogs , fun , health , hey , home , indoor , indoor/outdoor , kitty , litter , litter box , love , male , meow , moving , night , sick , stop , story , training

Sponsored Cat Links