It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
darcy980

Default Nervous Rescue Cat

Hi, I have adopted a rescue cat (poppy, 13, Female). She is very nervous and runs and hides under my duvet everytime i leave the flat?? She will stay there until i get home from work, she doesn't eat or use the litter tray when i'm gone. When i get home she waits a while, then comes out to eat and sit next to me on the sofa.
If i have guests she stays in my bed?
She insists on sleeping in bed with me, under the covers all night??
She also wags her tail and purrs when i stroke her and I'm unsure if she is happy or angry?
Any advice welcome.....

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road
Default Hi and welcome!

Well, I must admit I'm no expert in this area, but from what you say it sounds like she been used to having someone with her most of the time! Most people seem to have the opposite problem eg the cats hide from them when they are there, but she sounds like a very loving little thing. My first cats used to hide under the duvet when people came round and sometimes would sleep under it when we were in it, so it's not unheard of.
As for the tail swishing, it doesn't have to mean she is upset or angry, it could be that she is unsure but if she is purring she is probably happy.

She probably just needs time to settle in - some experts on the site recommend Feliway, it seems to help.

Hopefully some of the others can give you more practical advice, but it doesn't sound like she is unhappy with you!

By the way, what is her name (and yours) and do you have any pics, wuld be great to see! xx

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! Thank you for giving an older cat a forever home. Sounds like things are going very well. Change is ahrd for cats in general, and for a senior lady, well, it's going to take her time to get used to all the new stuff.

She may creep out and explore when you're not there, you know, but if she prefers the safety of your company, be honored!

Purring means Happy (yes they can purr when sick and in pain too, but I don't think this is the case) and a moving tail is just her way of expressing herself. Cat's speak with their tails a lot, a moving tail does not always mean defensiveness or anger.

Tell us more about her!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 04-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome. I have to agree with the others she just needs sometime.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 04-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Hi, welcome to the forum ! And congrats for your new cat.
Through your description on your post, I laughed... it is at the same time was describing my Lady Fergie, she's a very timid kitty, and would always trust me alone, and hide whenever a stranger came to the house, even when the stranger is our good neighbor... hehehe.. But, yes, I agree with everyone here, it's just a matter of time, as Lady Fergie got better and better, at least she would not be that nervous, and she would sometimes choose to sleep on her own... She stilll will wait for me at the window every time I come home and waits for me at the bathroom door when I use the bathroom, litterally sit there sometimes for up to half an hour... hehehe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-22-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

twokitties is on a distinguished road
Smile

I got an older cat too and they said the kids were mean to him. But it will take a while for your kitty to come out. Mine did not go to the bathroom for a long time I got worried. But he was such a nice cat when he came out. I would say lets go to bed and he ran up the hall and beat me there.

Last edited by twokitties; 04-22-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Unread 04-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Kitten

twokitties is on a distinguished road
Smile

I got an older cat too and they said the kids were mean to him. But it will take a while for your kitty to come out. Mine did not go to the bathroom for a long time I got worried. But he was such a nice cat when he came out. I would say lets go to bed and he ran up the hall and beat me there.
Good Luck It will get better.
Unread 04-22-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Red face

I think you need to wait more time for her to get used to her new condition. Pls be patient & keep us posted.

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 04-23-2009   #9 (permalink)
darcy980

Thank you all for the replies- I really appreciate it, i feel much better now.
My name is Olivia and the kitty is Poppy. I might try the plug-in as I dont like to think of her getting stressed when i'm gone.
She loves racing me into different rooms...even the bathroom!! She is very cute, i will try and upload a photo of her.
Thanks again xxx

Unread 04-23-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

She loves you, that's why she follows you everywhere!
Hope to see her pix soon

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
adopted , adorable , advice , angry , black , boy , cat , cat's , cats , computer , cool , cute , defensive , female , found , great , happy , hey , hiding when i leave , home , kitty , litter , love , loving , mat , moving , nervous , night , pictures , purring and tail wagging , rescue , senior , sick , sleep , sleeping , sleeping under the duvet , timid , upload , upset , window

Sponsored Cat Links