It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2009   #1 (permalink)
keh0122

Default Is my cat in heat???

I recently adopted a cute calico. She is as sweet as can be but has been acting rather strange lately. The adoption people did not spay her because when the vet shaved her fur he saw what apparently looked like a scare from being spayed. I was relieved because I am sure the procedure is not the most comfortable. But now, a few weeks later my cat is acting like she is in heat. Rubbing herself all over the floor when we pass and slightly raising her rear in the air. Could this be? Is my cat in heat? Was the scare the vet saw not from a previous spayed procedure? Can a vet do an ultrasound or something to without cutting her open to verify the spaying process was done?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi, welcome ! I'm Irene.
From the signs that your kitty is showing, I'm afraid you need to take her to the vet for ultrasound check, who knows, maybe the scar was from a surgery other than spaying... Please keep us updated on the result...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 04-25-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
keh0122

Thank you Irene. I am hoping to get a vet appointment today. It is really grossing me out because my kids are wanting to pet her and she keeps sticking her rear up in the air. My other cat, female, which we adopted at the same time keeps sniffing the other cats area. I really hope this can be resolved soon! Will keep you posted!

Katherine

Unread 04-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hi Katherine, I'm sure this can be resolved, soon your kids will be able to play and pet her again... How many cats do you have, BTW ? God bless you and the work of your hands !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-25-2009   #5 (permalink)
keh0122

Well, we have an 11:30 appointment. If they determine she is in fact not spayed, I can take her back to the shelter for them to perform the surgery.

We have two cats, Muffin (the one in heat) and Baby. Both are a year and a few months. One was found by the foster as a stray (Baby) and the other was handed over by the owner (Muffin). Muffin is a patchy calico (black, tan and white patches). She was declawed (bless her heart!) by her previous owner. Baby is gray strippy with white paws. She is the spastic active one that insists on attempting to climb my curtains and pounce at everything that moves! LOL. I will have to get my digital camera and share some pics!

Thanks,
Katherine

Unread 04-25-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Thumbs up Katherine !!!

Poor little thing Muffin... yes, bless her heart !
Thank you for taking in stray/unwanted kitties. God bless you for your kindness !
All my three were all unwanted/stray I took them in since they were all baby kittens. My Princess is the only one who literraly came to me in my husband's restaurant. Lady Fergie was waiting for me outside the church. Earl Blue was once my foster baby, before my hubby decided to keep him. YOu can view them in my profile or cat's pictures.
So quickly settle the matter with the vet and the shelter, and quickly bring little Muffin back to your kids...

Unread 04-25-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Katherine & gang, welcome!

I'm afraid she wasn't spayed. Pls keep us posted.
Hope you'll post pix of all your kits soon!

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 04-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
keh0122

Ok, finally back home!! Muffin is at the shelter for the night....hope she isn’t too scared . The shelter contacted her previous owner and he confirmed his mother did get her spayed at a low cost clinic where apparently students were performing the operations. Muffin's vet said that it is possible that some ovarian tissue was left behind and that is what is causing the heat cycles. Considering students did the surgery, I wouldn’t be surprised. Nevertheless, I am hoping the vet at the shelter will open Muffin back up and complete the job. They said I should be able to pick her back up tomorrow. Yay!!!

Thank you all for your support and kind words!!! This had definitely been an experience!!!

Katherine

Unread 04-26-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up Well done Katherine !!

Good that you finally found the reason, I'm not surprised, I've been thinking about this all day long ! Poor little thing, she has to suffer from her previous human's carelesness,even ignorance. It's sad that many humans never learn how to respect life, be it the life of another human or pet ! They easily give up on them.. I'm pretty much convinced that she's abandoned by her previous owner because of this kind of cruel, heartless attitude (they even got her declawed) !!

Honestly, yes, she's extremely frightened, lonely and hopeless right now at the shelter without you and the kids, thinking that she's abandoned again by human, not to mention the great pain she is in from this second major surgery ! But, she will be relieved tomorrow when she sees you again to bring her home (finally). She'll be grateful to you for giving her a permanent loving home, and for the rest of her life, she'll never feel afraid of being abandoned again.
God bless your heart !

Last but not least, please keep a watchful eye on her wound, avoid bleeding or split, it will take about 2 weeks for her to recover completely from this major operation, before the stitches can be removed.
Please keep us updated.

Tags
adopted , adoption , baby , black , camera , cat , cat in heat , cat's , cats , cute , digital camera , eye , female , foster , found , fur , great , heat , hey , home , in heat , kittens , kitties , kitty , loving , mat , night , pet , pictures , play , pounce , profile , sad , scared , shelter , spay , spayed , stitches , stray , surgery , vet

Sponsored Cat Links