It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
Sunflower40

Default New Kitten and 2 Year Old Cat Advice

I have a cat that is about 2 years old a little older actually. I just got a 8 week old kitten. They are not getting along and I know it will take time. My older cat is/was an affectionate at always followed me around and slept by my head. Now she wants nothing to do with me and even hisses and tries to bite me.

I don't want to stress her out with this kitten but wonder if I should just hang in there or take the kitten back?

I have a "camp" set up for the kitten away from my cat in her own little room and for the record they are both female.

Thank you for any advice

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Welcome Sunflower40, just give them time and try feliway plug in that should help, and you could also try 'Bach's rescue remedy, either liquid added to their water or cream and gently rubbed into their ears that may help.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb It is a matter of time ...

Hi Sunflower, I'm Irene, and welcome to the forum... Congrats to your new addition...(and thank you for taking him in) However, I know this very well, and I know very well how your 2 year old feels. I had 2 experiences before, as now I have 3 kitties. No, of course you don't have to return your kitten.
Your older kitty just doesn't get used to this change (cats are very sensitive, they adapt slow to new environment or new friends), after a while everything will turn just fine and you have gotten your kitty a companion (and play mate) especially when there's none in the house, she won't be lonely. In the meantime. she's jealous and doesn't feel like sharing her human meowmy and territory with a new comer. So, please understand this, assure her that she's still dearly loved (do not punish her, she won't relate punishment to what she has done, she will relate it to you, and that will cause her to hate you, even got a broken heart, a friend of mine did this, and in the end, his kitty really died of a broken heart--refused to eat and eventually got sick just within a month).
Therefore, please be patient to introduce them slowly but steadily. Here is a link to a useful step-to-step method how we should introduce a new addition. Please post pictures of your kitty and kitten for the world to see.. and what are their names ? All the best for you and your kitties...

Aggression Towards Other Cats

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 04-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi & welcome,

Of course you don't need to return the kitten. What you do need is patience, only MORE patience & all will be Okay soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 04-25-2009   #5 (permalink)
Sunflower40

Like I said I know it does take time but I don't want to stress out my bigger cat.

My 2 year old cat we named Fluffy except no one called her that we always just called her cat but now that we have two we may have to start.

My daughter wanted to name the kitten kitty and the other cat so we would have kitty cat.

I let them out together for a few mins and fluffy had a hissy fit literally puffed up making noise like I never knew a cat could make.

Unread 04-25-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

"Kitty" is a great idea, your daughter is brilliant ! My Lady gave Earl Blue lots of hissing, even at me and hubby ! But after about 2 weeks, they finally get along well, now inseparable.... She enjoys his daily grooming...hehehe.. Did you manage to read the articles at the site I gave you earlier ? It's useful and practical too...

Unread 04-25-2009   #7 (permalink)
britty3189

I just got another kitten about a month ago and introduced him to my current cat, Kiki. When Kiki first saw the new kitten, he was MAD and did not want anything to do with him. The new kitten, Whiskey, would try to sniff and play with Kiki, but all Kiki would do is hiss, growl, and run away.

Kiki was also mad at me for a day or two. He was not his usual cuddly self. He just needed time to get used to the new kitten, and to realize that the new kitten was not going away.

Your current cat just isn't used to sharing his territory or people with another cat, but give it some time. My cats get along GREAT now, and neither one minds sharing me. They will get along in time. Hissing and growling are normal cat behaviors.

You can kind of relate it to bringing home a new baby. The existing child can often feel a bit of resentment towards the new baby, as if the baby is there to replace the older child. However, within time they realize that isn't the case, and everyone usually ends up fine.

Unread 04-26-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

please don't return the kitten in a month or two Cat/Muffy will forget that Kitty was ever not there. All will be fine, trust us!

please read this first
Unread 04-26-2009   #9 (permalink)
Sunflower40

So this morning Fluffy Cat was outside of the door of kitten for a long long time. So I opened the door a small amount to let them look at each other and they stood in a stand off position for awhile then kitten decided to venture out. I got a few hisses from fluffy cat but she seemed more tolerable today then before.

I don't want to return kitten at all and that would be a last last resort

Unread 04-26-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Great news !! It's just like what we all expected... we are 100 % sure that Fluffy Cat will be more and more not jsut tolerable... but even friendly... and both of them Cat and kitty are more and more lovable and inseparable... just like Lady and Earl Blue ! You'll just love it !

Tags
addition , advice , affectionate , aggression , another cat , art , baby , beautiful , bite , black , carpet , cat , cats , environment , female , friendly , friends , girl , great , grey , growl , growling , hey , hiss , hissing , home , house , introduction , kitten , kitties , kitty , love , mat , morning , new kitten , photos , picture , pictures , play , profile , rescue , scared , shelter , siamese , sick , sleeping , small , social , story , stress , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links