It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2009   #1 (permalink)
amy_t

Unhappy My cat's personality has changed :(

I’m really worried and confused about my lovely cat Pepper. She’s 10 months old and used to be the sweetest, most loving little kitten, but during the past few months she seems to have gotten so aggressive and unfriendly.
She’s a house cat (by choice - she has the option to go outdoors but prefers to stay inside!) and all she used to do was follow me round and want cuddles all the time. Now though, she spends most of her time upstairs on her own and bolts in the other direction if we try to pick her up or even just stroke her.
She was 8 weeks old when we got her, so it’s not that she doesn’t know us. She’s not sick either; at her last 2 monthly check-up at the vets, we were told she is very healthy.
She still sleeps on my bed next to me and won’t sleep anywhere else, she has done since the first night we got her. And still enjoys her favorite game (which is fetch!) however, hates any form of affection we try to give her and only comes near us to attack us! I know it might sound like she’s just playing, which is fine, but it’s actually quite vicious and I’m covered in scratches!!!
Am I just worrying about nothing? I’m just scared I’m doing something wrong?! I’ve always had cats, since I was a child, and I’ve never came across this. Is this just her personality? Does anyone have any suggestions? I’d be very greatful…

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-26-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Hrmm. Did you possibly have someone over that could have approached her too strongly, or handled her rough? That is the only thing I can think of that may have turned her attitude towards you
Unread 04-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Question

Hi Amy_t and Pepper, welcome ! I'm Irene.
Was Pepper spayed ? The other possibility is jjust like what CamiDante said, she is not happy with you. Usually cats when punished will not associate punishment to what they've done, they will associate it with the human who punish them, and it will take time for her to forget, and for both of you to restart bonding again until she gains trust again. Hopefully it is not the case. If she hasn't been fixed, please get her spayed first and we'll see how she will behave after the operation.
Here is an article about cat's aggression towards human, hope this helps :

Aggression Towards Other Cats

And here is the link to an article about signs if your cat is in heat :

Is My Cat in Heat? Signs that your female cat is in season

Please keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 04-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Cool

Yes, don't forget that cats choose their humans & not the opposite...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 05-06-2009   #5 (permalink)
DWMeowMix

I'd take her back to the vet and tell your vet to look closer. When a cat has a sudden personality change there are typically 2 reasons. #1) Physical abuse, #2) illness seen or unseen. I'd do a complete blood workup to aliminate any kidney or tyroid problems, check for UTI's or URI's. Kitty's anal glands may need to be expressed, the list goes on...

Unread 06-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
Adina

Until I have adopted my second kitten my cat was playing a few days a week a few hours/day with my brother's cat.But when I left her alone a number of days while I was at work she was more agressive then usual.She would run all over the apartment like crazy, she wounded my feet badly(I still have marks).Another reason may be high temperature.I researched and found out that because of the heat they may become anxious and agressive and hurt they care givers not on purpose of course but I think they hate the feeling and just don't know what to do.So it might perhaps be loneliness or temperature.You can solve the first problem by adopting a new adorable creature so that your cat will be used to socialize all the time.

Unread 06-04-2009   #7 (permalink)
pinkcircles

Default behavoiur

You can buy something called Feliway diffuser which you plug into the wall and they let off a sent that relaxes the cat i found these on Pet Supplies | Frontline Spot on | Hills prescription diet | Royal Canin | Pet Health | Dog Supplies

Tags
adopted , adorable , aggression , aggressive , agressive , apartment , art , attack , care , cat , cat in heat , cat's , cats , changed , crazy , diet , dog , female , found , friendly , frontline , game , health , healthy , heat , hey , house , hurt , in heat , kitten , kitty , loving , night , personality , pet , playing , problem , problems , royal , scared , scratching , sick , socialize , sudden personality change , suggestions , uti , vet

Sponsored Cat Links