It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyHearts is on a distinguished road
Default Flying cats are very Annoying

I have an issue with a couple of my cats. Two of them particularly just LOVE to dart out of the front door. All of my cats are strictly indoor cats. Every now and then I'll let one or two at a time out with me, like when I'm working in the garden. But that's apparently not good enough for Tricee and Flipflop and they are making me very frustrated. Not only do they dart out the door, they dart--sprint--and hide. It takes me (and sometimes with help from brother) a very long time to catch them.

Tricee I guess just likes outside. With Flipflop, I'm guessing that some of it may be because her previous home she was strictly an outside cat, then when I got her she went to strictly inside. But she's been my cat for yeeeeeeears now, and she still darts out the door. Which they always willingly come back home in the same day if I can't catch them but still I don't like them doing that or staying outside. And they do it all the time!

Now with that said, I do have a funny I'd like to share. (I think it's funny but I still hate it.) Flipflop does what I call "smartdarts". First she would dart out the door then under our car. She then saw how easy it was to catch her. So she then decided to change to darting out the door, running to neighbor's yard and skirting up their tree. But then she saw how easy we could retrieve her from the tree with her trapping herself up a tree with nowhere else to go. Not to mention we (brother and I) eventually found a way to outsmart her and beat her to the tree. SO THEN she learned to dart out door and in mid sprint, pivot back, catching us off guard to then skirt up our house's support beam and "hiding" on the roof of our house! Leaving us standing in our front door, calling out to our roof, "Flipflop ... kittykittykitty!" Surely our neighbors think we've lost it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this? What do you do to handle it? They are very sneaky too. We got to the point where we will crack open the door, look behind our shoulder and then when we THINK we don't see either cat open door-dash out-with door closing quick behind us! .....Yet they still manage to get out!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-01-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

I had this problem with my Bridge Pochee, he loved to dart out but thank God he never reached the street because we live in a 8th. floor.
Pls be very careful, lots of dangers out there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-01-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I've found that my cats like to TRY to dart out the door whenever I leave or come home. I've started to solve this by placing them both in the guest room, waving my foot at them and saying "no!" when they start to follow me (believe it or not, they know what NO means!) and go out the door. When I come back in, I simply shake the doorknob, say NO then nudge the door open. They have learned to stay away from the front door.
Unread 05-01-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Unhappy

I just found this article when looking for another one. Just one more reason to keep cats inside. I had never heard of this, but there is a map and explanation on this site:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cyta...n_the_cat.html

Unread 05-01-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyHearts View Post
I have an issue with a couple of my cats. Two of them particularly just LOVE to dart out of the front door. All of my cats are strictly indoor cats. Every now and then I'll let one or two at a time out with me, like when I'm working in the garden. But that's apparently not good enough for Tricee and Flipflop and they are making me very frustrated. Not only do they dart out the door, they dart--sprint--and hide. It takes me (and sometimes with help from brother) a very long time to catch them.

Tricee I guess just likes outside. With Flipflop, I'm guessing that some of it may be because her previous home she was strictly an outside cat, then when I got her she went to strictly inside. But she's been my cat for yeeeeeeears now, and she still darts out the door. Which they always willingly come back home in the same day if I can't catch them but still I don't like them doing that or staying outside. And they do it all the time!

Now with that said, I do have a funny I'd like to share. (I think it's funny but I still hate it.) Flipflop does what I call "smartdarts". First she would dart out the door then under our car. She then saw how easy it was to catch her. So she then decided to change to darting out the door, running to neighbor's yard and skirting up their tree. But then she saw how easy we could retrieve her from the tree with her trapping herself up a tree with nowhere else to go. Not to mention we (brother and I) eventually found a way to outsmart her and beat her to the tree. SO THEN she learned to dart out door and in mid sprint, pivot back, catching us off guard to then skirt up our house's support beam and "hiding" on the roof of our house! Leaving us standing in our front door, calling out to our roof, "Flipflop ... kittykittykitty!" Surely our neighbors think we've lost it.

Does anyone else have a problem like this? What do you do to handle it? They are very sneaky too. We got to the point where we will crack open the door, look behind our shoulder and then when we THINK we don't see either cat open door-dash out-with door closing quick behind us! .....Yet they still manage to get out!!!!
I admit, I have EXACTLY the same problem, if not exactly, then at least 90% similar to yours. Those places you stated were also our Princess' favorite places to hide. They're just too smart, but fortunately, I outsmart them too. I was so desperate to keep them indoor, strictly, but only Lady Fergie who never tries to dart out, coz she's too timid. Actually, Princess is also timid, so, she would dart out to immediately hide for "safety" hence, what Maya said is right, it's dangerous to be out !
Now since we moved to a house with 2 doors, with a hallway between an inner door and another door, this problem was eliminated, thank God ! Still, they love to dart out, even Lady also started to dart out. But I'll always safely caught them and throw them back in the house, shut the inner door, then walked out the hallway safely without any cat following me, or when I come back, I'll shut the outer door first...hehehe...I really admire my intelligence !
But another problem occurs every now and then... when I come back home, I will walked into the house, not knowing that at least one of them is shut in the hallway between 2 doors. Unfortunately, this just happened today, when I came back in the evening, I wasn't aware that I locked Earl Blue in the hallway for about 1 hour, until after I finished taking a bath, I counted my kitties, only found two, without Earl Blue, then I searched for him all over the house, only then I kept hearing a soft desparate meow meow voice... I finally realized it came from the hallway. When I opened the inner door... the first thing that Earl Blue did was darting IN straight to the litter box to pee... hehehe... !

Unread 05-01-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
When I opened the inner door... the first thing that Earl Blue did was darting IN straight to the litter box to pee... hehehe... !
That was funny Irene!

Unread 05-01-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Yep, I couldn't stop laughing at him at that moment ...hahahaha...

Unread 05-01-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzekmaya View Post
I just found this article when looking for another one. Just one more reason to keep cats inside. I had never heard of this, but there is a map and explanation on this site:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cyta...n_the_cat.html
Thanks Maya for this article ...

Unread 05-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

First thing would be to stop letting them come out with you at all.

That being said, you can train them to harness and leash, and teach them that when they wear those they will be coming out with you, but at no other time.

To stop or at least slow down the dashes, install window screens at the bottom of the door ways. You'll be surprised how quickly you will adjust to stepping over them. I keep (18 inch) window screens in the bottom of both my doorways. None of my current cats do the dash thing, but the screens did stop a dasher who has now gone to the bridge.

sure they can jump over the screen, but the first dash or two causes them to bump head on into it, and that seemed to help give them enough hesitation to get them out of the way.
Unread 05-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
Newborn

KittyHearts is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know very well it's too dangerous out there. I'm not worried about my cats getting ticks though. I've actually never had a cat get a tick. o.O It's weird. One year for some reason the break out of ticks and fleas was enormous. My cats only got the fleas and my dogs were the only ones who dealt with the ticks. But no worries, I kept meds for my cats and dogs, and won that battle. I also don't have to worry too much about the traffic. I live on a dead end street and there's hardly any traffic on it. My main concern for when my cats are out are my neighbors and the possibility with them getting into a cat fight. Many years ago I had 3 outside cats, one when I lived in Arizona and two here in Arkansas. Bad things happened to all 3, that's when I no longer allowed my cats outside unsupervised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
I've found that my cats like to TRY to dart out the door whenever I leave or come home. I've started to solve this by placing them both in the guest room, waving my foot at them and saying "no!" when they start to follow me (believe it or not, they know what NO means!) and go out the door. When I come back in, I simply shake the doorknob, say NO then nudge the door open. They have learned to stay away from the front door.
I've tried that before. Lol, when I do anything like that all they do is cringe and fold up like an accordion while they wait for the right moment to slip by us anyway. Mine know what No and Back means but those two fight really really hard to get out. The rest of my cats don't do anything like that, than God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
I admit, I have EXACTLY the same problem, if not exactly, then at least 90% similar to yours. Those places you stated were also our Princess' favorite places to hide. They're just too smart, but fortunately, I outsmart them too. I was so desperate to keep them indoor, strictly, but only Lady Fergie who never tries to dart out, coz she's too timid. Actually, Princess is also timid, so, she would dart out to immediately hide for "safety" hence, what Maya said is right, it's dangerous to be out !
Now since we moved to a house with 2 doors, with a hallway between an inner door and another door, this problem was eliminated, thank God ! Still, they love to dart out, even Lady also started to dart out. But I'll always safely caught them and throw them back in the house, shut the inner door, then walked out the hallway safely without any cat following me, or when I come back, I'll shut the outer door first...hehehe...I really admire my intelligence !
But another problem occurs every now and then... when I come back home, I will walked into the house, not knowing that at least one of them is shut in the hallway between 2 doors. Unfortunately, this just happened today, when I came back in the evening, I wasn't aware that I locked Earl Blue in the hallway for about 1 hour, until after I finished taking a bath, I counted my kitties, only found two, without Earl Blue, then I searched for him all over the house, only then I kept hearing a soft desparate meow meow voice... I finally realized it came from the hallway. When I opened the inner door... the first thing that Earl Blue did was darting IN straight to the litter box to pee... hehehe... !
Oh I wish I had two doors to go through. I've thought about that many times actually. I've been trying to figure out if somehow I could jimmy something up ... and not make my house look tacky. There's not much room in the front room to rig up a barricade . (The front room is where the front door is. We don't really know what the front room is so we call it the front room. ) And I can't yet figure out a way to add anything up on the outside with out looking way tacky. But I'm still working on it.

Tags
addition , age , attack , bat , bath , bite , box , boy , breeds , car , catching , cats , color , cool , crazy , dogs , fight , fleas , found , fun , funny , game , great , hey , hiding , home , house , hurt , indoor , kitties , litter , litter box , lost , love , lucky , meow , pee , pet , play , problem , scared , smart , stop , suggestions , timid , vocal , weird , window , worry

Sponsored Cat Links