It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
jawsmommy99

Default Any Suggestions??

Ok so i got my kitty when she was 8 weeks old she is now 16 weeks. . The only issue I have with her is her claws and her biting. She is very rough with me not only when we are playing, she isnt as rough with my husband tho. I plan on getting her spayed very soon she just needs a pound or so to go. I was wondering if that will calm her down. We had to start spraying her with water to make her let go when she bites. I know she is a kitten and they are very playful but i have never had a kitten this rough. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you have any suggestions for me. (everyone at work knows i have a kitten tho, they can tell by all the scratches on my arms.)

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 05-27-2009   #2 (permalink)
abbie1234

dont worry it is natural, my cat abbie has been sprayed and she is still like it, and mabye as u have just got her mabye she dont trust you just yet.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 05-27-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

I have 3 cats, among them, Princess Tiger my first cat used to be the scratcher and she took me as her scratch post. I really can't blame her, coz she was my first kitten, and I didn't deal with this properly. Then I learned NOT to punish her. I used several methods, and bought more than one scratching posts, now we have 3, and made them really interesting. After dealing with my first kitty, I was rewarded by NOT having the same problem with my second then third kitty. One of my methods is : I treat them very gently, never play fight with them, don't let them get used to the "fighting & scratching" on humans. I communicate with my kitties too (having actual conversation with them, especially with Princess). I tried to spray with water, but that didn't work too well though. Now I have 3 well behaved kitties. I trim their claws regularly, in case they accidently give me the scratch. Just remember this : Treat your kitty real gently, and you'll see her personality change over the time.

Here is a link to an interesting article about cat claw survival solution :

The Frenzied Feline

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 05-27-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I agree with Irene. It's best not to punish them, or else she will associate punishing with petting or other interactions with you, like playtime. Then she might not enjoy being with you that much. It's better to just not let her bite you. If you see it coming then walk away.

My Anastasia likes to bite too (and she's spayed, but is still trying to do this), never hard though, but I just walk away from her. Bad girl! I think she doesn't enjoy petting as much as she enjoys playing. Well, it's quite obvious that she doesn't. Arrogant little Queen of mine. When I come near her to stroke her, she backs off. So I let her be. She has to come to me for a petting session.

I could play with her all day though. With feather wands, other kind of cat teasers, throw toy mice for her to catch, lazers, hide & seek, etc. Maybe they just prefer to play since they are still young. They also need that kind of stimulation. Your kitty is only 16 weeks Mine is 7 months.

Oh and yes, do trim her claws You better start now, so there is a chance she'll get used to it.
Unread 05-27-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

And here is another article about biting :

The Frenzied Feline

PS : I give them the attention they need from me, every day, I also play with them, those games mentioned earlier by Katrine. Two of them are adult, one is still a kitten, but they all love it, it's our bonding time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 05-27-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Unread 05-27-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I've never had a problem with scratching, but with Dante, I've had to deal with biting. He's quite a biter! First I tried to deal with the problem with a squirt gun. It works..when he sees me reach for it, or sees it in my hand, he stops immediately. He likes to nibble on my hands while he's being stroked, when I stop he bites down hard. I've started to say "ouch!" and pull my hand away for a bit. He's slowly learning that if he bites too hard, he doesn't get what he wants.
Unread 05-27-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

It's very common in this age. It sounds familiar...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
adult , age , art , bite , bites , biting , calm , cat , cats , claws , fight , fighting , games , girl , hey , interesting , kitten , kitties , kitty , love , natural , personality , pet , play , playing , problem , queen , rescue , scratching , spayed , suggestions , water , worry

Sponsored Cat Links