It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-03-2009   #1 (permalink)
Indi

Default Hi, kitten, adult cat question.

I'm a new member here, as this seemed like a friendly group where I can get advice about my new furry babies.
We have a small colony of feral cats around our house and barn, that I cannot convince my grandparents to fix. I've managed to rescue three kittens out of a six-kitten litter. We're taking them to the vet when we have enough money, sometime in the next week, I think. They're around four weeks, I think.
Until that time, they've seemed quite healthy, it it has been scorching outisde, so now they have taken residence in our living room. We have a two-to-three year-old Balinese, Kisses, who we adopted from the shelter, who has lived with us since August. Besides our three dogs, he is our only kitty baby, and very spoiled. He was found on the street prior to being taken to the shelter, having to provide his own food, obviously.
He does not seem to have a very strong prey drive, and has watched the kittens in their crate, with a curious expression, lying down, completely calm. When they roam, tottering about, sniffing and mewing, he approaches, stops, and backs off, looking almost a little afraid of them. He, once, stopped and began licking one of them on the back and head, but then nibbled the kitten's tail. Afraid for her, I popped him gently on the heinie, and he walked off. She didn't seem hurt, but waved her tail in an annoyed way.
Is this a jealousy thing that he will soon get over? Is it terriorial? Is he trying to play with them, or nurture?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-03-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Hi Indi, welcome to you and to Kisses as well as your three new additions. I think Kisses is a nice big brother. When handled properly, they soon will get along well. Just don't show partiality to anyone of them, coz it will caused jealosy, especially to Kisses. A friend of mine took in a new kitten, and being afraid of the jealous older cat would harm the kitten, he punished the cat and locked him in a big cage. As the result, the cat was ill and died of heart break. My Lady joined us in a very weak condition, so I confined her in a separate place, instead of locking my Princess, after I learned about what happened to my friend's cat.
Here is a link to an article about how we introduce them step by step :

Re-Directed Aggression Towards Other Cats

Please post some pictures of Kisses and the kittens. God bless !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-03-2009   #3 (permalink)
Indi

Thank you for your reply! And I forgot to put, Kisses is neutered, so I doubted it would be aggression. I'll post them if I am able to, my camera is an ancient behemoth. The kittens currently spend about half of their time in a small crate, because we're not sure if the dogs can be around them yet, because they all try to protect them from the other dogs.

Unread 06-03-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Hello Indi, "Aggressive Behavior Between Cats" is not necessarily happened between unneutered or unspayed cats. This is just like cat's aggression towards people. This is social aggression between a cat and a new cat sharing a house. I didn't think Kisses has aggression towards the kittens, I just wish to remind you to appreciate this nice big brother's love even curiosity towards the new additions. The article is about how we're supposed to introduce them. Good luck ! Post the pictures whenever available.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 06-03-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

It sounds to me like Kisses is curious about the kittens, and trying to figure out just what they are about! Just keep an eye on them when they are together, anything that looks to you like it might get out of hand, grab the older cat. Just set him down a bit away for a moment, then let him come back. He'll learn that what he is doing isn't allowed. (I speak from experience, since this is working with my own cat, to get him to leave my dog alone!)
Unread 06-03-2009   #6 (permalink)
Indi

Thank you all for your input! He has been approaching and watching them, but is curled in his basket right now. And no, I didn't mean unneutered cats are more aggressive, I'm just not sure about whether males practice infanticide or not. I've never had a male and kittens in the same house before. I've made sure to be watching them like a hawk.

Unread 06-03-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My male Earl Blue is also a curious cat, but still very gentle. I guess your Kisses is also a curious but nice male cat. You see... he is now back curling in his basket.
Just keep an eye on them, for safety reason, like Crystal said.

Unread 06-03-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road

Hi Indi & gang, welcome!

Hope to see pix soon. Because you are new here, you still don't know we are pix addicted. hehe

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 06-03-2009   #9 (permalink)
Indi

Thanks for such a warm welcome! He is very gentle, the worse he will do is play-bite your feet if you tickle him with them. He was named as he is because he loves to kiss you.

Unread 06-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Indi, my Earl Blue is the one who gives me good night kisses... hehehe !

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , aggressive , annoyed , baby , balinese , bite , breed , calm , cat , cats , colony , confined , dogs , eye , feral , food , found , friendly , healthy , house , hurt , kitten , kittens , kitties , kitty , licking , litter , money , new kitten , new member , play , question , rescue , shelter , small , social

Sponsored Cat Links