It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
mrdotsmom

Default Biting

My little boy likes to bite. Boy does he bite!! What can I do? It is usually when we are playing. Almost every time you go to pet him he wants to bite. He thinks its part of playtime I think.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum ! You're right about what he thinks. But he can be trained. When playing with my cats, I won't encourage them develop that biting habit (my Princess used to have this bad habit).

Here is a link to an article about biting, hope this can help :

The Frenzied Feline

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Just walk away from him when he does that. Never let him bite you, let him attack toys instead
Unread 06-14-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Yep, he must understand that your hand is NOT a toy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

I have a few questions for you

How old is the cat/kitten?

Have you been playing with hands or skin?If so STOP! use toys like Da bird, a safe interactive cat toy that teachers okay behavior.

is cat/kitten De clawed?. De clawing can make cats more apt to bite people.
Unread 07-12-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

My Dante is a biter too, he bites hard enough to break the skin
I yelp, say "ouch!" loudly and walk away. After a few minutes, I go back. If he tries it again, I repeat the yelp and the ouch, and walk away.
I've had him now for 3 months, it took 2 weeks for him to figure out that he couldn't bite if he wanted me to stay around! He still bites occasionally, but very softly, more of a love nibble if I stop petting him
Personally (don't strike me down now!) I let my cats play with my hands all the time. Cami loves to lie on her back, clutching my hand and nibbling on my fingers as she falls asleep at night. Dante will do the same, but only if he wants to be petted.

Last edited by CamiDante; 07-12-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Unread 07-12-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Crystal, I should tell you that I've been stealing your method for the last weeks Anastasia hasn't been biting me that much after we got back from the countryside. She tries sometimes though and never succeeds.
Unread 07-12-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrineA View Post
Crystal, I should tell you that I've been stealing your method for the last weeks Anastasia hasn't been biting me that much after we got back from the countryside. She tries sometimes though and never succeeds.
Glad to know my advice is working It's hit and miss, we are learning as we go!
Unread 07-12-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
My Dante is a biter too, he bites hard enough to break the skin
I yelp, say "ouch!" loudly and walk away. After a few minutes, I go back. If he tries it again, I repeat the yelp and the ouch, and walk away.
I've had him now for 3 months, it took 2 weeks for him to figure out that he couldn't bite if he wanted me to stay around! He still bites occasionally, but very softly, more of a love nibble if I stop petting him
Personally (don't strike me down now!) I let my cats play with my hands all the time. Cami loves to lie on her back, clutching my hand and nibbling on my fingers as she falls asleep at night. Dante will do the same, but only if he wants to be petted.
Oh yes, I still 'play' with my hands - not the way when they do it with toys of course -- I use my hands only to pet, stroke them and rub their bellies !

My Princess always use my fingers as her pacifier when she gets sleepy ! (Only I have to carry her in my arms, like when you carry a baby)

Unread 07-12-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

When your kitten grows up I advise you never to give him away as those behaviors you taught him are probably going to get him Euthanized or worse yet de clawed.

Their are hand toys you can buy at Pet co that protect your hands.

Tags
advice , attack , baby , behavior , bite , bites , biting , boy , cat , cats , clawing , cool , cute , happy , hey , house , kitten , kitty , love , night , pet , pictures , play , playing , stealing , stop , toys , video

Sponsored Cat Links