It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
Sparkz

Default this cats behaviour? how to change it?

right, been looking on the net for somewhere for advice on this, i'll try and say it how it is to get some advice on how i can stop this cats behaviour

right, we dont have cats at the moment here, had a few 10 years ago and since my mother became ill, grandmother got older and i stated doing a lot more work we dont have the time...

this certain cat in particular is slowly making me lose my patience and i may do something drastic to it if it isnt resolved soon (may not seem the ideal thing to say on a catlover forum but trust me, if anyone experienced this they would be in the same situation...

for the past 2 years we have had nothing but pure grief cause by the behaviours of this cat. its not our cat, its the neighbours we have never really spoke to before...

this cat is particuly big (slightly overweight possibly) and it all started when we had our new fencing put up around the garden. 1 fence pannel in particular this cat always climbed over, it would come in the garden and as soon as anyone went outside it would sprint up that fence pannel to get away. 1 day i was dopwnstairs watching tv and bang i heard a massive bang, went outside and the fence pannel had actually snapped, we all knew who the culprit was due to the bell it has round its neck.

Fair enough we said nothing, paid around £100 to have the panel fixed up again but that was only the beginning.

on numerous occasions due to the hot weather we leave the back door by the passage open in the day to get some air in the house, a few times i have walked into the passage to see that cat running away scared only to see it has poo'd all over the floor. 1 night the door was not locked properly and was left slightly ajar. This really annoyed everyone who lives here because not only did it wee and poo all in the kitchen and passage so the house stunk of cats pee for the next 3 days but it split open numerous bags of rubbish leaving old chicken and leftover food over the carpet.

Yet again that was all cleaned up, nothing was said..

we put down cat repellant and 2 litre bottles of water all around the garden, but still the problems continue and it was only a few hours ago i heard another loud bang in the kitchen, we left the small window open the slightest bit tonight because of the heat, i went downstairs, saw that cat jumping back though the window and saw 2 of our antique 1920's ornaments (worth £200 each) and various plates smashed on the floor so clearly as it came in through the window it knocked into our shelf containing thoese items in the kitchen.

as well as that the cat will kill birds in our garden and poo in the garden.

id say if it was our cat it would be somewhat acceptable but as its nothing to do with us this is really starting to get over the top..

anyone have any other ideas on what i can do to make sure this cat is completely put off with coming into our garden? apart from getting a dog lol

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-24-2009   #2 (permalink)
veronicab

So sorry you're going through this, Sparkz. It's a hard one to manage.

Just some options from a vet only forum I read, which has behavioralists etc available for advice.

Are the neighbors approachable? Would they consider confining their cat to either inside their house, or building a cat enclosure for him? I'm thinking it's a long shot, if this has been going on for that long.

Sometimes coyote urine products from a garden store can act as a deterrent. Spray them around your property line and anywhere the cat isn't welcome.

Another option is the scarecrow, which is a movement sensor sprinkler, when the cat comes close it senses the movement and turns the water on.
Amazon.com: Contech Electronics CRO101 Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler: Home Improvement

Are the local animal control able to help?

One thing I've suggested for my clients - it's possibly a bit underhanded, but heck, what else do you do? - use a cat trap, catch the cat in your property and then call animal control, or report the cat as a nuisance stray.

I don't have any magic wands. It's a shame, it's not the cat's fault, it's the owners, but either way, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 06-24-2009   #3 (permalink)
Sparkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by veronicab View Post
So sorry you're going through this, Sparkz. It's a hard one to manage.

Just some options from a vet only forum I read, which has behavioralists etc available for advice.

Are the neighbors approachable? Would they consider confining their cat to either inside their house, or building a cat enclosure for him? I'm thinking it's a long shot, if this has been going on for that long.

Sometimes coyote urine products from a garden store can act as a deterrent. Spray them around your property line and anywhere the cat isn't welcome.

Another option is the scarecrow, which is a movement sensor sprinkler, when the cat comes close it senses the movement and turns the water on.
Amazon.com: Contech Electronics CRO101 Scarecrow Motion-Activated Sprinkler: Home Improvement

Are the local animal control able to help?

One thing I've suggested for my clients - it's possibly a bit underhanded, but heck, what else do you do? - use a cat trap, catch the cat in your property and then call animal control, or report the cat as a nuisance stray.

I don't have any magic wands. It's a shame, it's not the cat's fault, it's the owners, but either way, you shouldn't have to put up with this.

thanks for the the advice there,

i know a good idea would be to invest in thoese sorts of things but i think personally we have already paid enough for the damage caused by this cat (snapped fence pannels, broken antiques etc)

the other problem which i have noticed the other day is i was following its behaviour, it jumps on the fence pannels, then onto the porch, stays up there for a while and then jumps back on top of the fence pannels which are causing them to bend yet again, in fact i inspected the other pannels it jumps onto and they are really loose so im guessing unless this problem is sorted as soon as possible wel will be forking out another few hundred £'s for fence pannels...

i doubt the neighbours would listen to us about building an enclosure for it so im guessing the best thing we can do is the entrapment process, next time it comes in hopefully i will be able to lock it in the house and call the rspca for it to be taken away then if the neighbours care so much for it they may be forced by the rspca to build an enclosure (because i sure if the rspca keep having to be called out to take it from the house they would put it into a new home)

thanks for the reply again

Unread 06-28-2009   #4 (permalink)
blueblink24

Unhappy too bad!

That cat should be the responsibility of your neighbor. I mean they should have taken that away from your place due to destructive attitude. We could not deny that there are some cats that do those things. I would advice that you tell your neighbor of their cat or else they will pay you for the damages that stupid cat has done to your property and for those that he will destroy or damage later. That's the good thing also to avoid further damage to your property or even getting yourself hurt if the cat will bite you whenever you'll catch him by yourself.

Unread 06-28-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Your neighbors should make that cat an indoor kitty. Then they'd have total resposibility for the pet that they own. I find it very irresponsible to let a cat out and do those things. They should have to be the ones to teach the cat some manners.

I'm sorry that I am not able to give you any advice though.
Maybe you should grow lemon trees. Cats are not supposed to like the lemon smell, lol.
Unread 06-28-2009   #6 (permalink)
Sparkz

thanks for the replys, i could tell the neighbours but im sure if i did it would jsut bring trouble

from what iv seen and heard from them they arent the nicest of familys, often i hear swearing and shouting coming from their house and the police are often there so i dont think they would liek me coming round saying that to them

i may do sum research and phone the rspca and find out what they can do about this matter,

i am starting to dislike this cat lol, i do remember when we had a cat years and years ago and had no catflap, the cat would be let out, go around our garden and venture over to the nearby garages and not intrude in other people spaces. I often remember at almost exactly 3pm every day there would be a knock on the letterbox and guess who it was? our cat wanting to be let in,

Unread 06-28-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Awful neighbor !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkz View Post
thanks for the replys, i could tell the neighbours but im sure if i did it would jsut bring trouble

from what iv seen and heard from them they arent the nicest of familys, often i hear swearing and shouting coming from their house and the police are often there so i dont think they would liek me coming round saying that to them

i may do sum research and phone the rspca and find out what they can do about this matter,

i am starting to dislike this cat lol, i do remember when we had a cat years and years ago and had no catflap, the cat would be let out, go around our garden and venture over to the nearby garages and not intrude in other people spaces. I often remember at almost exactly 3pm every day there would be a knock on the letterbox and guess who it was? our cat wanting to be let in,
I completely understand your situation. But please do NOT dislike the cat. It is not his fault at all, it is not a behavioral problem. Please understand the cat is a VICTIM. I think talking to such a neighbor is pointless ! I don't think that irresponsible neighbor will care about you,as he also doesn't care about his cat !
I read thru your first post and am convinced about what I think. The cat must have had enough traumas and hard times that he's trying to get some fresh air outside, so he pee and poo outside instead of in his 'awful & terrible home' .. he must be starved so he needed to find his food from the rubbish, eating old chicken and leftover -- I tell you, he will NEVER do that if he's well-fed, and this is really HEARTBREAKING !!
As for the breaking of your antiques and other things, that poor kitty had to sneak like a thief to get into your kitchen and other parts of your house. Of course he would be so nervous when he left in a hurry and that would cause all the damages. He just knows that he's not welcome there, he doesn't belong to your house.
Again, I would blame his owner causing all this problems !
It is better to call an animal care official to probably take the kitty and rehome him.
Your 'well mannered' kitty was so lucky coz he's well loved and taken care of. But not this one -- your neighbor doesn't provide him a loving home AT ALL ! Cats love peaceful surrounding.
Hope you will understand the whole situation and do something not also helpful to you and also the kitty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 06-28-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Unread 06-28-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

I have to agree with Irene Jims in that he is probably not treated very well in his own home, although I would call cats protection and not the rspca as CP won't put the cat to 'sleep' but the rspca will!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Unread 06-28-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemay View Post
I have to agree with Irene Jims in that he is probably not treated very well in his own home, although I would call cats protection and not the rspca as CP won't put the cat to 'sleep' but the rspca will!
I totally agree !

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-02-2009   #10 (permalink)
mrsCatwoman

Default "Solutions To Cat Behavior Problems"

Dear Sparkz

I can fell your pain, especially when it's not your own cat, but I had almost the same problems with our cat, after we got it from our friends, who was moving abroad.

In your case, talking to the neighbors wouldn't help you. But what we did was searching after help from the internet and we found an eBook that had all our problems explained in details and how we could learn about our cats behaviors and believe or not, now we have the most loving and relaxed cat ever!

It took a little time, but if you just follow the steps described in the book, i'll promise you that you will see improvement, fast.

The book is called "Solutions To Cat Behavior Problems" and you can download it here.

Solutions To Cat Behavior Problems - Solutions To Cat Behavior Problems

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Philipa S.

Tags
advice , age , animal , annoyed , behavior , behaviour , birds , bite , care , carpet , cat , cat behavior problems , cat's , cats , dog , eating , fast , fixed , food , found , friends , fur , heat , hey , home , house , hurt , internet , jumping , loving , mat , moving , new home , night , overweight , pee , poo , problem , problems , scared , small , stop , stray , urine , vet , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links