It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-02-2009   #1 (permalink)
gina1974

Default My cat keeps scrathing the furnitures, what to do?

Hello everybody!

I have just bought my first cat and I love him very much, but I have a little problem that I hope somebody can help me with. Because he likes to scratch my furnitures every time I'm at work, but when I get home he does nothing. So how can I teach him not to scratch the sofa when I’m not home?

Tiger is only 4 months old.

Gina

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-02-2009   #2 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Do you have a scratchpost for Tiger? Oh,by the way,hi and welcome, I'm Cheryl.xxxxx
Unread 07-02-2009   #3 (permalink)
gina1974

Hello Cheryl, nice to meet you.

Yes I do, but he uses it when I'm home, but when I'm at work, he uses the sofa. I was told by one of my friends, that cats do that when they miss there owners? But we all need to go to work..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-02-2009   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

che is on a distinguished road

Hi Gina,nice to meet you too.
Does Tiger ever use the sofa when you are there?
Can you confine him to another room when you are at work?xxxxx
Unread 07-02-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gina1974 View Post
Hello everybody!

I have just bought my first cat and I love him very much, but I have a little problem that I hope somebody can help me with. Because he likes to scratch my furnitures every time I'm at work, but when I get home he does nothing. So how can I teach him not to scratch the sofa when I’m not home?

Tiger is only 4 months old.

Gina
Hi Gina ! Welcome aboard ! One of my kitties is named Princess Tiger. So, especially glad to meet another Tiger's owner here ! It's probably right what your friend said about your cat missing his owner (you). That might be stressful not only for you, but also for him. Why don't you try to make the scratchposts more attractive by sprinkling some catnips on them ? And when you see him using it, give him some treats. One more thing might sound even crazy, why don't you hang your sock on it (attract him with your scent) ? Hope that will work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 07-02-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

If you ever catch him doing it, say a strict "no!" and place him near the scratching post and make his paws touch it. Worked with me. But if he never does it when you're home, then it's harder. I think there are also "stay off" sprays. I don't have any experience with them.

Also remember to trim his claws regularily
Unread 07-02-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Gina & Tiger, welcome!

I have several scratchposts all around the house & 1 cat tree.
You can try with these...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)
Unread 07-02-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

My kitties used to scratch my sofa (and still try to sometimes!) Since they did most of the scratching on the corner, I bought a large scratching post, sprinkled it with catnip, used spray-on catnip spray, and stuck it near the corner of the sofa. Needless to say, it worked! Now they aim for the post rather then the corner of the sofa
Another trick that works for me when I have to leave my kits alone at home, turn the television on. This helps my kits, it sounds like someone is home. Hope that helps!
Unread 07-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamiDante View Post
My kitties used to scratch my sofa (and still try to sometimes!) Since they did most of the scratching on the corner, I bought a large scratching post, sprinkled it with catnip, used spray-on catnip spray, and stuck it near the corner of the sofa. Needless to say, it worked! Now they aim for the post rather then the corner of the sofa
Another trick that works for me when I have to leave my kits alone at home, turn the television on. This helps my kits, it sounds like someone is home. Hope that helps!
Hahaha ! Crystal, I do this same smart trick (sometimes I play some music too) and it helps reduce their stress too, they will let me go out so willingly, like I never go out, and when I'm back hone, everything is just fine !

Unread 07-03-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

krzekmaya is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene Jims View Post
Hahaha ! Crystal, I do this same smart trick (sometimes I play some music too) and it helps reduce their stress too, they will let me go out so willingly, like I never go out, and when I'm back hone, everything is just fine !
You are not alone...

So lucky to be owned by Flor, Meshee , Lady Brenda, Merlin, Dino & Phailin

And our three beloved angels Pochee
(1991 - 2003) Booba (1993 - 2005
) and Domino (1997 - 2009)

Tags
age , animal , babies , box , boy , care , cat , cat's , cats , colony , crazy , cut , eye , feral , fights , food , found , free , friends , fur , great , hey , home , house , infection , integrating , kittens , love , mat , moving , nails , nice , night , play , playing , problem , problems , rescue , scratch , scratching , sleep , sleeping , small , smart , social , soft paws , stop , stress , surgery , timid , type , water

Sponsored Cat Links