It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-07-2009   #1 (permalink)
wrath186

Default Hello and Help

Hello, I'm not new to cats, but this is my first time taking care of a cat. I've recently rescued a female mix named Oatmeal. She's medium haired and seems to be adjusting very well to my apartment.

That said we do have some issues to iron out. First and foremost is her urinating in a corner of my living room. She has a litter box, which she uses regularly, and I don't believe that she has a UTI, but I'll have the vet check for sure. She just seems to like to mark this spot. I clean it up and use and enzyme cleaner on it, but still she returns. Any reason why she would do this? What can I do to get her to stop?

Second, because she's a kitten she chews on everything. I've put as many cords out of her way as possible, but because I live in a church, putting some things out of reach is just impossible. I've given her a few chew toys, but she still loves the cords. Is there anything that I can do to make them less attractive for her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath186 View Post
Hello, I'm not new to cats, but this is my first time taking care of a cat. I've recently rescued a female mix named Oatmeal. She's medium haired and seems to be adjusting very well to my apartment.

That said we do have some issues to iron out. First and foremost is her urinating in a corner of my living room. She has a litter box, which she uses regularly, and I don't believe that she has a UTI, but I'll have the vet check for sure. She just seems to like to mark this spot. I clean it up and use and enzyme cleaner on it, but still she returns. Any reason why she would do this? What can I do to get her to stop?

Second, because she's a kitten she chews on everything. I've put as many cords out of her way as possible, but because I live in a church, putting some things out of reach is just impossible. I've given her a few chew toys, but she still loves the cords. Is there anything that I can do to make them less attractive for her?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Hi ! Welcome to you and Oatmeal ! She must be a very cute kitten ! Concats and thank you for taking a good care of her, even buying her toys.
Cat is very territorial. That's why when she's stressed, she will do markings - male and female alike. Felliway Plug Ins will help reduce her anxiety.

Kittens love to chew on everything, especially the cords. My kitties do the same with cords. I always buy extra cords...
But I notice, give them some strings will reduce their cord chewings... Oh yes, this chewing behavior is also a sign of a stressed out cat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
wrath186

Hmm, I wonder why she's stressed? We play and have quiet time and I always make sure that she has plenty of food and water and things to play with. Any thoughts on the causes of cat stress?

Unread 07-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to you and Oatmeal I agree with Irene's advice.

As for the stress - I'm sure it's nothing related to you, it may simply be moving into a new home and as she was a rescue cat you cannot be sure of her circumstances before you and she found each other.

I'm sure with your ongoing love and care she will soon settle down!

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 07-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
wrath186

Maybe I used the wrong term. A friend of mine found a pregnant stray in his garage. She had her kittens there and Oatmeal was one of them. I was told that they lived in general seclusion and only just started to come outside. He had been feeding them, or maybe mom, dry cat food and water.

She seems well adjusted, albiet a bit rambunctious. She doesn't pee anywhere else, as far as I can see and she doesn't poo outside the litter box. It's just this one spot in the corner.

Unread 07-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Can you put the litterbox in the corner where your kitty is peeing? That might work, since that seems to be the spot she likes best.
Unread 07-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
wrath186

The corner I have it in now is where she went when I first brought her home. I had cleaned that spot out and she kept going there so I moved her box from the bathroom to that corner. She seems content to go there, but she also pees in that one spot. Very weird.

Unread 07-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrath186 View Post
The corner I have it in now is where she went when I first brought her home. I had cleaned that spot out and she kept going there so I moved her box from the bathroom to that corner. She seems content to go there, but she also pees in that one spot. Very weird.
Maybe that's how she keeps her memory of that spot, she wishes to remember how she came ? Well, unconditional love is what she needs from her human meowmy... coz it might be weird, but each kitty has different individual personality and temperament that sometimes will get us puzzled. God too loves us individually and unconditionally, doesn't He ?!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Irene Jims; 07-07-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Unread 07-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Refused Autopsy

I have not had the urination issues, but I got my kitten to stop chewing wires/table legs by simply spraying lysol disinfectant spray on the wires.

I figured this out by accident when she kept taking all the baby's key rings....once I sprayed them during a routine nursery cleaning..now she wont touch them. She now has her own, of course..because she is rotten. Maybe it will work for you?

If it is safe for premature infants...I think it is fine for kitties. I hope I am not wrong.

Unread 07-07-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Lysol is toxic to cats.

The best thing to do for the cords is to get some pvc piping to pull the cords through. An alternative to that is to use the copper pipe insulation coverings.

Both found in any hardware store.

Chewing cords is very dangerous, I'm sure you know. When you see a kitten that has been electrocuted from biting through a cord you never forget it. So for things that can't be left unplugged they must be covered until Oatmeal looses the habit.

A feliway plug in can help with the peeing, but do get her to the vet for a check up to rule out any illness.

Also adding another litter box may help. do you keep her box clean? Cats do not like dirty litter boxes. some cats don't like to use it it if even has one other pee or poop in it, so another box may solve the problem.

How old is Oatmeal now?

please read this first

Tags
advice , anxiety , apartment , baby , box , care , cat , cat food , cats , chewing , clean , cleaning , dry , female , food , found , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitties , litter , litter box , moving , neuter , new home , pee , play , poo , poop , pregnant , spay , spay/neuter , stop , stray , stress , thoughts , toys , uti , vet , water , weird

Sponsored Cat Links