It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
kitkit79

Unhappy my cat hisses and growls PLEASE help!

I have a problem. I have a female cat (Kiki) who is 5, she is special, just too cute but is a bit skittish. 2 yrs ago I introduced a new kitten (pixie) and I did the proper introduction but since that day she constantly hisses, growls, and swats at Pixie whenever she goes near her. Kiki has no problem with her older brother nor did she have an issue with her older sister who passed away a yr ago. I just introduced a new kitty (Merlin) and she is doing the same thing with him. This is an issue. She is first very playful and friendly with the new comers but then after 4 days she becomes mean. Merlin just came home from his fixing and declawing and she is so mean to him, hissing at everyone and just plain ole unhappy. I have no idea what to do about her behaviour, I have continued to show her love, attention, and affection and it doesn't matter. I have tried squirting her with water when she acts out and that doesn't work. I have never seen this type of behaviour last with a cat upon introduction to newbies for more than 2 weeks, it's been 2 yrs with one cat and over a month with another? Has anyone got any advice?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Oh my goodness !!! You declawed your kitties !!!!

I'm quite sure, this could be the main reason...

Declawing is actually multiple amputations comparable to the removal of human fingertips at the first knuckle. Sensory and motor nerves are cut, damaged, and destroyed. Recovery from the surgery is a slow and painful process. This procedure can hamper the sensations and enjoyment involved in walking, running, springing, climbing, and stretching. Without its #1 defense system many declawed cats resort to nipping or biting with very little warning. They often use oral means to express their insecurity and this may also result in destructive chewing problems and dramatic temperament or behavior change !

The only thing you can do now is just continuously show your affection and love.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-25-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Get some feliway plug ins, that may help, they spread pheromones around that help cats feel more secure and centered.

I'm sure she feels vulnerable with new additions because of missing her claws.

I am sorry you feel the need to amputate your cats toes. I hope you will never do it again.

If you want declawed cats please consider adopting cats who have already been declawed from the shelters, shelters are full of declawed cats being dumped by people who can't cope with the behavior problems after they have their cats mutilated.

Cats can be trained to scratch only where you want them to scratch.

Declawing is outlawed in 26 countries around the world. I sure hope the USA joins in some day.

the best price I have found for feliway plug ins is at entirelypets.com google entirelypets.com coupon for a code to save another $5 or so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Last edited by acerlt; 07-25-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Unread 07-25-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Gah... Clawless kitties make me sad... They can never again enjoy what they once could anymore...
Unread 07-25-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

I use a pet claw trimmer to trim my cat's claws.. He doesn't like it, but it works fine. I don't really trim them very often because I don't like seeing him struggle, so if I get scratched by accident, I clean it with alcohol and I will be fine hahahha. I got a toy that comes with a cardboard disc:

Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy | Love Meow - for Ultimate Cat Lovers

It works very well for his scratching urges. He does not scratch furniture any more. Sometimes he would scratch the carpet, but I don't really care hahaha coz I find it so cute!!! haha I am a bona fide cat slave.

- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies

~|
|~
Unread 07-25-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

sara-satellite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeow View Post
I use a pet claw trimmer to trim my cat's claws.. He doesn't like it, but it works fine. I don't really trim them very often because I don't like seeing him struggle, so if I get scratched by accident, I clean it with alcohol and I will be fine hahahha. I got a toy that comes with a cardboard disc:

Turbo Scratcher Cat Toy | Love Meow - for Ultimate Cat Lovers

It works very well for his scratching urges. He does not scratch furniture any more. Sometimes he would scratch the carpet, but I don't really care hahaha coz I find it so cute!!! haha I am a bona fide cat slave.
I trim my cats nails. I do it when they're ready for lap attention. When I first got my kittens, I would rub each of their paws each and every day they are in my lap for attention (with the normal petting). They almost always fall asleep when I do it. That why they are used to me handling their paws.

After a couple of weeks of this kind of attention I started slowly getting them used to trimming by just clipping the very tips on the front paws, then worked my way up.

I also trim in bright light so that I can see the veins easier and avoid cutting them. Last thing I need is a cut vein and they never let me do it again! But I've never have had a problem so far and have had many successful attempts.

Now they associate their nails getting trimmed with positive lap attention. I never use a human pair of clippers though (just figured I'd mention it if anyone questions it. lol)

Rupert would love that scratcher. He loves the ball going around in the thing (have a similar toy). Thanks for the link!
Unread 07-25-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

That's really cute sara... My cat probably had some bad experience before with nail trimming apparently when i got him, he was never fond of having his nails be touched by anyone, but he is doing much better now since I am very careful about it.

he is now standing up by the wall, looking straight up at an invisible bug i think hehehe. funny cat.

~|
|~
Unread 07-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

oh my.. it wasn't an invisible bug.. hahahah again he found a small teeny fruit fly or something.

~|
|~
Unread 07-25-2009   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

sara-satellite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's really cute sara... My cat probably had some bad experience before with nail trimming apparently when i got him, he was never fond of having his nails be touched by anyone, but he is doing much better now since I am very careful about it.
My first indoor cat didn't go very well for me either. Luckily I didn't clip a vein, but he was still pissed off nonetheless.

Rupert though, when he wants to be picked up he likes to climb my pant leg up (he insists I carry him when I walk around the house). Well this got to hurt really bad as he grew. But I can't personally scold him for just wanting to be picked up or he might confuse it with me never wanting to pick him up again.

Anyway (lol) it's cute when he tries to climb up my leg because he fails and falls on his butt each time. I feel bad, but he doesn't seem to mind too much as long as he gets what he wants.

Quote:
he is now standing up by the wall, looking straight up at an invisible bug i think hehehe. funny cat.
Lol where's a camera when you need it?

Last edited by sara-satellite; 07-25-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Unread 07-25-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It took my Mazy cat three years of daily Paw Work (similar to what Sara described) to allow me to trim her nails. I had to take her to the groomer every six weeks, and there was only ONE person there she would allow to do it.

She really really hates having her paws touched. Instead of touching her at lap time, (she wasn't a lap cat either in those days) I had to do it at a specific time each day, part of the routine, Tolly and Ootay (rb 5/09) got their pills and Mazy did Paw Work, then everyone got a drop of mayonnaise.

She's come such a long way. As time went on, eventually I was able to get one claw at a time. Then came the eventful day I got a whole paw done at once.

Now I can get both front paws done in one session. YAY! The grooming assistant who use to do them says she misses seeing Mazy every six weeks and I wondered did she really miss risking losing a finger every six weeks? And she said she loved Mazy, and it was worth the risk!

I cheat a little. I keep a bowl with a bit of mayonnaise in it handy, and I put a dot of mayo on her nose every couple of snips, so she is distracted as I snip.

it's quite comical, as she tries to growl and make yummy noises at the same time!

Mazy, who came to me completely unsocialized, is a reformed biter, and does have boundaries, but she hasn't bitten me in over two years now.

Tags
advice , anxiety , baby , behaviour , box , care , carpet , cat , cat lovers , cats , clean , crying , cut , cute , device , eating , egg , fast , female , fish , friendly , fun , growl , growling , growls , happy , hey , hiss , hissing , home , hurt , introduction , kitten , kitty , lazy , love , lucky , mat , nail trim , new cats , new kitten , nice , nose , opinion , pills , play , playing , problem , problems , question , rare , rescue , save , search , small , stress , struggle , surgery , territorial , travel , type , upset , vet , water

Sponsored Cat Links