It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-30-2009   #1 (permalink)
pjrattigan

Default What can I do to get my girlfriends cat to accept me?

I have been dating a woman for about 3 months, she has a 6 year old cat and since day one whenever I am there the cat hisses, curves her back and recently tries to swat me with her paw... If she is hungry she allows me to put food in her bowl but then I best get away... Is there anything I can do to gain a minimal amount of acceptability?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-30-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You are terrific for being willing to win this kitty over.

Smell is everything to a cat, and there may be something about you that offends her delicate olfactory senses (I am not saying this to offend and am not implying that you smell bad)

So, any scents you might use, (after shave, cologne, hair gel) try not using them for a while and see if this helps. It may take time because when someone uses a scent for a long time it tends to permeate everything in their home.

It could even be your laundry detergent!

Do you have facial hair? I have a cat who is petrified of my friend who has a bushy mustache.

Now, a way to make you smell more appealing to her might be to rub catnip on your clothes and hands.

And here's another idea. I advise people to use the vanilla trick for two cats who are not getting along. A dot of vanilla on nose and tail of each cat makes them smell the same, leveling the playing field so to speak.

You might try that yourself. Using cooking vanilla(not perfume) have your girlfriend anoint her cat, and you put some vanilla on a few pulse points and hands.

Any of these ideas may take time, but I think, since you care enough to try, that's half the battle!

welcome, and please let us know how it goes.

PS...a little rescue remedy when you are visiting may help her to settle, too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
bat , care , cat , catnip , cats , dating , dry , food , home , kitty , nose , paw , playing , rescue

Sponsored Cat Links