It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Katydyd4063 is on a distinguished road
Default Please Help! I have a foster cat that freaks when I pick her up

Hi and thank you in advance for any replies.
I have had a foster cat for 6 months, and I just don't know what to do with her. I have two other fosters that get along fine. This one however, when you approach her she is okay sometimes and other times she'll swat at you and cry out.I always talk softly and put my hand out to let her smell it first. And when I try to pick her up she just cries like I'm killing her. I've tried treats after and during the process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-04-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Some cats just really don't like to be picked up, but prefer to go where they want when they want. She may be one of them. Is she okay around you at any other time, just not okay with being picked up?
Unread 08-05-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

None of my cats likes to be picked up, so instead of picking them up and holding them, I just call their names and they will come over when i do it.

The foster cat probably still has some trust issues, so it may take some time for her to adjust, but she will get there.

If she gets aggressive with you or scratches you, give her a firm no and then walk away from it. By continue interacting with her after she has shown you the adverse behavior, it may encourage her to do it again.

Give her some toys to play, such as a stuffed mouse or a feather wand for both you and the cat to play with. My cats LOVE a laser pointer. They will go crazy about it. Playing will help cats reduce their anxiety and stress.

If you think she might be going through some stress, anxiety related issues, and nothing seems to help, you can try Feliway. It smells like cat's facial pheromone which soothes the cat and reduces its anxiety. It is perfectly safe for them and odorless to humans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49BWL View Post
Some cats just really don't like to be picked up, but prefer to go where they want when they want. She may be one of them. Is she okay around you at any other time, just not okay with being picked up?
Obviously, Earl Blue is one of them ! He loves to sleep with me and kiss my nose, but NEVER want to be picked up. He will definitely freak out too !!

Unread 08-09-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Some cats take a long time to be socialized. It took my Mazy cat about 18 months to really become fully socialized.

This kitty may really hate hands coming at her. Mazy did, I learned quickly that reaching toward her with my hands set her off badly. I still have to keep them tucked behind my back sometimes when interacting with her.

Stop trying to pick her up for now. Just concentrate on gaining her trust by sitting on the floor (at her level) and allowing her to approach you, and engaging her in Games (using appropriate toys).

When you want to pet her, approach her from the side. For instance, if she comes up to you while you sit on the floor, don't put your hand out to her face, stroke her on her shoulder area only.

As has already been said, any time she scratches or bites, turn your back to her and ignore her for a few minutes.

do you know her history?

Thank you for being a foster home for cats!

Unread 08-20-2009   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Cleaningbuddy is on a distinguished road

Hi Katydyd,

Does the cat only freak out when you pick her up, or is it anyone in general? I agree with everyone else, it's probably anxiety from previous environments, but maybe it would be of help to see if she acts in the same fashion towards everyone, or if for some reason it is specifically towards you.

-
Unread 08-22-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

nocturne is on a distinguished road

Some cats just aren't fans of being picked up. I've had 2 cats that just were none too keen to be lifted. They were perfectly fine with us the rest of the time, they just didn't want to be lifted.

I agree with the other members on the whole trust/anxiety issues. Like acerlt said, I'd try building up her trust and level of comfort with you before continuing trying to lift her.

If she gets agressive towards you, just turn your back on her for a little while.
Unread 08-25-2009   #8 (permalink)
Cool Cat

PantherPride is on a distinguished road

I'l bet its a bad experience maybe someone did something to her as a kitten.

Is she De clawed?, sometimes that can cause a cat to lash out at people.
Other then this I think you should just let her come to you and try to let her know you are not a threat.
Unread 09-02-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

Eliz K is on a distinguished road
Default They think I am dirty?

My 2 cats like me to hug them and they enjoy people touching their body. However, they will clean up their body immediately after I touch them. Why? They think my hards are dirty?

Tags
advice , aggressive , agressive , anxiety , behavior , bites , cat , cat's , cats , clean , crazy , fashion , foster , games , hey , home , joy , kitten , kitty , laser , love , mouse , nose , pet , play , playing , sleep , smell , stress , toys , why?

Sponsored Cat Links