It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
cmm0820

Default Crazy A.M. Cats

I've had my two cats, Fred & Wilma (they're about 5 years old and brother and sister) for since January 2009. Love them dearly, they are awesome and so loveable.

The past couple of weeks, however, have been PURE hell for me. Fred has been intolerable in the early a.m. hours. Racing around the apartment, jumping back and forth over me on the bed, howling, etc. I have succumbed as early as 2:30 a.m. to feed both of them in the hopes that they calm down. It rarely works ... I need my sleep, and I have to get up early in the a.m. - around 6:30 a.m.

Someone had mentioned to me that their behavior can depend on the weather, season, etc.

How do I get through this - I love them both so much, but they are just killing me in the morning. This morning I had to call out for 3 hours just so I could get a little more sleep.

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-06-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Is there a way to close them out of your bedroom? My cats are very rambunctious in the early AM hours as well. I close them out of my room, and leave the radio playing softly downstairs, it seems to calm them down.
Unread 08-06-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm0820 View Post
I have succumbed as early as 2:30 a.m. to feed both of them in the hopes that they calm down.
This simply means that they have trained you to get up and feed them in the middle of the night!

Shutting them out of your room at night as Heidi suggested is one way. After a few nights of yowling and scratching at your door they may give up.

How long are they alone every day? do you play interactive Games with them every night?

If you don't I suggest you set up a routine of Games, where it's just you playing with them, at the same time every single night, maybe an hour or so before you go to bed.

After a while they will come to expect these Games. When they see you turn off the computer, or brush your teeth, or whatever, they will know that their time with you comes next.

It will be special bonding time for the three of you, plus they will get to burn off some of the energy they've been saving up, sleeping all day while you are gone.

Also if feasible, put a bird feeder outside one of your windows. That will give them something to draw their attention during the day, which may make them sleep less, so they will be more likely to sleep at night.

Welcome to the forum! Please tell us more about Fred and Wilma! Did you adopt them from a shelter?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Shazzy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shazzy

Like acerlt is saying, they are simply too energised to want to sleep as cats prefer spending their day lounging around, so a bit more interaction with new toys filled with the wonders of catnip will do the rest! (I played with Jez on his dangly toy for about, 30mins, he was chasing it like crazy then suddenly jumped on the sofa, collapsed and was panting a little. He really loves that toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
$hAzZy

*~BeRt~* *~GrAcE~* *~JeZ~*
Unread 08-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

No wonder ! Now I know why recently Earl Blue will wake me up very early in the morning.... He's training me ! Coz he sleeps too much during the day, and gets bored and hungry again very early in the morning....
Thanks for this advice. I'll try to help him spend more times playing or at least awake during the day !!

Unread 08-07-2009   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Shazzy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shazzy

Maybe you could take a few piccies of them in action while your playing with them

$hAzZy

*~BeRt~* *~GrAcE~* *~JeZ~*
Unread 08-07-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:

The past couple of weeks, however, have been PURE hell for me. Fred has been intolerable in the early a.m. hours. Racing around the apartment, jumping back and forth over me on the bed, howling, etc.
I've been thinking about this since I last wrote. The fact that this is new behavior makes me wonder if there is something outside that is disturbing him in the "wee hours". A stray cat wandering around, or a raccoon even.

On the other hand, cats do like to change up their behaviors every now and then simply because they are cats and that's what cats do!
(or is it just to confound us? )

Unread 08-07-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:

The past couple of weeks, however, have been PURE hell for me. Fred has been intolerable in the early a.m. hours. Racing around the apartment, jumping back and forth over me on the bed, howling, etc.
I've been thinking about this since I last wrote. The fact that this is new behavior makes me wonder if there is something outside that is disturbing him in the "wee hours". A stray cat wandering around, or a raccoon even.

It could also be a neighbor getting up in the middle of the night and waking Fred.

Or perhaps...what are Fresd' bathroom habits like? Has he taken to pooping in the middle of the night? My Tolly boy does the Poop Run after he poops, and it doesn't matter to him what time of day or night it is, after he does his um, business, he goes rip roaring through the apartment singing at the top of his voice!

On the other hand, cats do like to change up their behaviors every now and then simply because they are cats and that's what cats do!
(or is it just to confound us? )

Unread 08-07-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

My cat has periods where she acts exactly like that. She always calls for me if she hears movements inside the bedroom in the morning though, or in the middle of the night for that sake.

But sometimes she goes crazy! A few days ago, she woke me up at 2 am, then 3 am, then 4 am, then 5 am and then I had to go to work at 6 am I don't have a door to the bedroom, but I have an air cleaner that I turn on to work rather loud and the noise scares her away from the bedroom. Still she can make a lot of noise meowing and making the weirdest sounds! Also running like you mentioned.

It's never about the food though, she usually has something left from the evening before. She doesn't like to eat much if I'm not around.

I've tried to turn the TV on to calm her down when she acts like this, but she chooses to ignore it and continues to do her crazy stuff.

Anyways, this intense awakenings usually go on for 1-2 days, then she gives it a rest. Well, except from the usual calling for me if she suspects I am awake. I can't imagine having to deal with it for 2 weeks. You poor thing!
Unread 08-07-2009   #10 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Inspired
katlady is on a distinguished road

My 3 youngest cats ( 11 mos and 8 mos--Blanca, Hazi and Cutie Pie) go on sprees like that for short periods but it was so hard to predict when they would go "crazy" that I just closed my bedroom door. Plus they were upsetting the "matron" cats(Sahara and Little Girl) so those two stay in the bedroom at night with us.
Katlady with Sahara, Cutie Pie, Blanca, Hazi, Angel, Uzziel, Uriel, Seraphina, and Ambriel, Callie, Kira, Annabelle, Grayson and Speckles,Angel2, Jezzie, Delihlia, Bathsheba, Houdini, Tempe, Chandler, Peavey, and Mesa, Stevie Ray, Myeta, Cady, Misty, Sandy,

Tags
advice , apartment , behavior , boy , brother and sister , business , calm , car , cartoon , cat , cats , computer , crazy , eye , food , found , fun , funny , games , girl , great , hey , interesting , jumping , love , mat , meowing , morning , night , pictures , play , playing , scratching , shelter , sleep , sleeping , stray , thoughts , training , wake , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links