It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-06-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

PolkSDA is on a distinguished road
Default Can cats have "happiness overload"?

My newest, Tweetie, is turning into a bizarre little kitty. I've had affectionate cats before; in fact I prefer it. But he's taking it to a WHOLE new level.

When I visited him at the shelter prior to adoption as he was getting over health issues, he struck me as an incredibly affectionate cat. Now that I have him at home and he now has a room to himself, he's "going off the deep end of affection".

When I come into the room and start talking to him, he starts loudly purring and walking around looking up at me, because he knows what's next. He either jumps into "the chair" (a rubber seat of a recumbent exercise bicycle that is an absolutely perfect cat perch/sleeping spot) for petting or I will sit in "the chair" and pick him up for petting (he's not a jumper, or at least I haven't trained him to be one yet ).

From that point on it's giant love-fest. He purrs, chirps, and croons (all extremely loudly), all the while his paws are kneading a mile a minute, he's head-butting and licking me, alternately nipping (love bites) my nose or my fingers or my arm. He gets himself worked up into a frenzy of purring and licking. If I start playing with him, the munching and licking and purring is even more frenzied.

I don't mind his behavior (other than he constantly wants to lick my nose and my chin), and even when he's mangling my arm, it's always gentle pressure-wise, never even close to breaking the skin, and it's always followed by licks. He just seems genuinely overjoyed.

Is there any potential downside to the extent of his behavior? Do I need to be concerned about what happens when he starts to socialize with my other cats (they won't be nearly as receptive of such behavior as I am... although I suppose he may reserve his frenzies just for me?).

He's not a kitten, and not overly playful unless I start the process, so I'm not too concerned about him driving the other cats nuts.

I wonder what goes through his mind when he's in the midst of his ecstatic purring.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-07-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I think you should be overjoyed that your kitty is such a lover! Obviously he's extremely happy to be out of the shelter and in a loving home, he's showing you his appreciation and his love. If it gets to be too much, however, simply set him down, walk away.
I have a kitty like this, Cami, she does the same things, and I love it! I wouldn't be worried about the other cats, from my experience with Cami, she's great with my other cat Dante. She's affectionate with him, but she saves the best of it for me.
Unread 08-07-2009   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Shazzy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Shazzy

That good to hear! Your new kitty thinks the world of you

And I find that my indoor cat, Grace, likes to settle on my bed with me but won't let me stop smoothing her. If i rest my hand after petting her for a few mins, she nuzzles is with quite some force and persistantly licks it lol. and the fact that she was born with fairly weepy eyes, your hand gets a coating of gunk

And she wont settle down either! you have to hide your hand and ignore her if you want her to lie down and relax. after she does that, you can gently stroke her again

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
$hAzZy

*~BeRt~* *~GrAcE~* *~JeZ~*
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-07-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Default Welcome aboard !!

Hi ! Welcome and Concats !! You have that dream kitty, the most affectionate one... while many other cat lovers wish they would...
All my kitties were once unwanted kitties too before we found each other... so I believe they're all showing their gratitude to us for adopting them...
Well of course, their affections will be shown according to their own individual personality.. In other words, they love to bond with you....
Don't worry with your other kitties...I believe Tweetie also saves the best of it for you, just like Crystal has mentioned, and just like what my kitties do ! Believe it or not, sometimes cats are more grateful than human !!
Any pix of Tweetie and your other furry-babies ?

Unread 08-07-2009   #5 (permalink)
Kitten

sara-satellite is on a distinguished road

In my history of owning cats, it seems (typically not always) the cats that were saved (shelter or otherwise) can be some of the most affectionate cats and act the least picky/spoiled. I had one cat that I saved that was blind in one eye from a battle wound long before. He was so affectionate that it would almost drive you nuts!

My other cats (ones not saved), though, were less grateful of attention.

Both Rupert and Buddy were saved cats and they are quite affectionate. Sometimes though it can be hard, because if I have to work at the computer, they *both* will demand attention in my lap. lol They are also really affectionate with each other.

I did notice that after I got Buddy, Rupert (the first) was less affectionate at first. It was almost like he had to act all tough in front of company. You may or may not experience the same thing. If so, it will wear off quick enough and you will have your affectionate cat again!
Unread 08-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara-satellite View Post
In my history of owning cats, it seems (typically not always) the cats that were saved (shelter or otherwise) can be some of the most affectionate cats and act the least picky/spoiled. I had one cat that I saved that was blind in one eye from a battle wound long before. He was so affectionate that it would almost drive you nuts!

My other cats (ones not saved), though, were less grateful of attention.

Both Rupert and Buddy were saved cats and they are quite affectionate. Sometimes though it can be hard, because if I have to work at the computer, they *both* will demand attention in my lap. lol They are also really affectionate with each other.

I did notice that after I got Buddy, Rupert (the first) was less affectionate at first. It was almost like he had to act all tough in front of company. You may or may not experience the same thing. If so, it will wear off quick enough and you will have your affectionate cat again!
Sara is right. My first and second cats got back to their normal affectionate state soon (cats can be jealous too) and now I have all of them...

Tags
adoption , affectionate , art , babies , bat , behavior , bites , cat , cat lovers , cats , computer , eye , eyes , found , great , happy , health , hey , home , indoor , kitten , kitties , kitty , licking , love , lovers , loving , nose , personality , pet , playing , shelter , sleeping , socialize , stop , worry

Sponsored Cat Links