It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-14-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road
Default adult cat hanging out under the bed.

i did some google searches and thought i'd post the question here too for some feedback...

as you may recall, i have two kitties. one who is 7 years old, the other is approx 9 months old. they play a lot and mostly at night, sometimes during the day. i've noticed in the past few weeks, my adult cat has suddenly started to sleep/stay under the bed during the day. he comes out during feeding times and if i go in the room and call him, he comes out to get pet. but when he comes out, i notice that he seems to look around as if he's afraid of the other cat?

they play so well together.. i can't imagine that he is actually scared of this smaller, younger, female cat. she's not a "bully" in any way to him. ( i work from home, so i see most of their interaction) the only other thing i could think of (other than him just wanting some peace and quiet) is that he is declawed and she is not.. do you think that her claws may have accidently scratched him?

i just really hate to think that i brought this other kitty in who has now been with us for 4 months... she's finally blossomed into a loving little cat.. only to make my other cat a "loner". any feedback would helpful!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-14-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

The only possible thing I can think of here, not recalling your other posts, is to shower him with all the love as equally as the new girl, and maybe even more since he's hiding away now. Interact with both of them as they play together and keep an eye on exactly what they're doing. Others will probably have more to say on the matter
Unread 08-14-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Irene Jims is on a distinguished road
Smile Hi to you, Lester and Adelle !

It's been quite some times... glad that finally we can hear something from you. Please don't be too hard on yourself. Lester will be just fine. I hope Brandon is right, I hope he just need to gain his confidence one more time by receiving your extra attention and love. He's probably feels strange too, to realize that this little sister Adelle has turned to be a bigger kitten...
Yes, I agree with Brandon, when they start to play, try to interact with them equally (I'm sure you never show partiality). Just play with them both. BTW, have you tried Felliway Plug ins and rescue remedy ? Those 2 have effective calming effect on cats.

Yet, please keep a closer eye to see if Lester doesn't show any pain or sickness. He is in my prayers and thoughts.

Please keep us updated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-15-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

What are their names?

It may just be that he wants some peace and quiet.

On the other hand, as Irene mentioned, new unusual behaviors can mean illness. Being ill would make him feel more vulnerable, which might explain the swivel-heading when he comes out.

Keep an eye on his appetite, and bathroom habits. Make sure he is peeing and pooping normally.

Especially peeing. If you see him straining in the litter box, or peeing outside the box, run him to the vet asap.

If you're not already, start trimming the young girl's claws. Keep them trimmed regularly so she doesn't inadvertently hurt him during play.

Make sure she is not ambushing him.

Is she spayed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 08-15-2009   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road
Default feliway

by the way I agree with Irene about the feliway plug in diffusers. You can read about them by following the link in my signature.

Please do keep us updated.

please read this first
Unread 08-15-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Maybe he just needs a bit of peace and quiet. All the playtime with his new friend could be tiring him out
Might be worth trying out the Feliway & Rescue Remedy. I wish I'd known about them 2 years ago when I introduced our second cat into the home. From what people have said on this forum it sounds like they would have saved me a lot of upset and stress.
Unread 08-16-2009   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

alva_crept is on a distinguished road

thanks to everyone for their input.

acerlt - my kitties are Lester (adult cat) and Adelle (newest kitty).

i think i will certainly look into that calming scent stuff that you all were talking about. infact, i'm planning to go to the local pet store today that per the web site, says sells it. its a bit expensive, but if you say it works, i should try to push my pennies together to get it.

i am trying to keep adelle's nails trimmed.. instead of just jumping up in my lap, she likes to sit at my feet, reach her little paws up to my knees/legs and kinda pull on me to let me know she wants picked up and put on my lap. those nails can hurt! so if they are hurting me, i'm sure they are hurting poor lester.

the past day or so, lester has been out more.. we're trying to make sure he's getting attention he needs. i really like to think i give both of my kitty's equal love (heck, even when snapping pictures, i make sure i get the same amount each!!) but knowing that he may be feeling slightly down or unsure, we're trying to give him that extra umph to reassure him he's still very much loved.

thanks again to all!!
Unread 08-16-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I'm glad Lester seems to be feeling better, have just had a look at your photos - such beauties! I am sure you give both cats equal love (what you said about the photos made me smile) but you're probably right in giving Lester a little bit of extra attention. Until recently he hasn't been used to sharing you.
Not sure what to advise about Adelle sticking her claws into your leg. Newt does this to me when she wants to play & thinks I'm ignoring her (if she wants a cuddle she won't wait to be picked up, just flings herself on my lap and onto anything else that happens to be there at the time!), it can hurt though, not to mention all the clicks in my clothes! I am sure someone else here will be able to help.

Tags
adult , art , box , bully , cat , cats , claws , eye , feedback , female , girl , hey , hiding , home , hurt , kitten , kitties , kitty , litter , litter box , love , loving , mat , night , peeing , pet , play , prayers , question , rescue , scared , sick , sickness , sleep , spayed , stress , thoughts , vet

Sponsored Cat Links