It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-21-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

shannonlyn is on a distinguished road
Angry Trouble maker cat driving me nuts!

Hi there! I have a one year old male cat named Jack. He is fixed and not declawed. Of course my boyfriend had to pick the rambunctious kitten of the bunch which has now lead to a Butthead of a cat! HE is SO sweet but is bad at the same time. We thought he would grow out of it the first year but he is almost 2 now and is still just as bad. Opens bathroom cabinets and lets them slam at 3am multiple times. Meows at the bedroom door to get out at almost exactly 5:32 am EVERY morning. Keeps finding ways into our rat cage. Wont stay off the kitchen counter. Clawed up the drapes. Eat the plants on top of a bookshelf. The list just goes on and on. I've smacked him(he then begins to purr), Drench him with a squirt bottle, put tape on the counters...NOTHING is working. Our other cat is perfect and we've never had any problems with his behavior so I just don't know what else to do.

He always uses the potty and scratching post so I guess I should be happy about that but jeez, I feel like this cat runs my life lol... Good thing he is a very handsome kitty!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-21-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello! I've just had a look at your photos and Jack certainly is a handsome boy. I have a cat called Ripley and she can be naughty too. She opens cupboards, drawers, hides things, destroys plants and generally gets up to mischief but I love her for it and really wouldn't have her any other way.
I am sure you will find lots of good advice on this forum. Sounds like Jack likes attracting your attention. My other cat Newt is much better behaved, they just all have their own unique, personalities!
Btw, please don't smack him, no matter how naughty he is.
Helen

Last edited by hallan; 08-21-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Repeating myself!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-21-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I have to say first, don't smack your cat, it teaches them nothing.
Now, the rest, coming from the owner of a VERY rambunctious cat! When I first got Dante, he was the same way...into EVERYTHING. I noticed that if I played with him more, his desire to get into things tapered off. He now gets play/chase the toy time 3 times a day. The only time he gets into mischief now is when he wants attention (usually early in the AM, just before breakfast)
Have you tried exercising your kitty more? That will tire him out, more likely to sleep then get into things. Try an evening playtime, just before bed. I try to aim for at least 30-45 minutes before heading to bed.
Unread 08-21-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I think you ought to listen to Crystal's advice as she is experienced in this area.
Please don't smack your cat, it will only hurt him and he wont behave any better. Also don't compare your naughty cat with the other one, as cats all have different personalities and you never know what can be expected of them.

I think most cats like to wake up their owners though, so there's probably not much you can do about that particular problem. Mine sometimes wakes me up every hour. Usually not more than two-three times a night, by calling for me or jumping on me. I'm pretty much used to it by now.
Unread 08-21-2009   #5 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome,I can't add any more to what the other members have said really.

Do you have a laser light toy? I use one with my very naughty meezer,Finn.
It's great for wearing him out. LOL. xxxxx
Unread 08-21-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Just seen your pics, and your kits are lovely!

I agree with the others - please don't punish him for having a lively personality - no two cats are the same. I had a cat like Jack, called Ben who was just like that for years (he settled down as he got older, he still caught a mouse 3 months before we lost him at 19 & 1/2) and remember when you have cats they do run you and there's nothing you can do, just enjoy them

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Unread 08-21-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello Shannonlyn and welcome to the forum!

My reply would be identical to the others.

Please don't ever hit him, it will only teach him to fear you and/or to be aggressive.

Please don't compare him to any other cat, he is Himself, and every cat is different.

The solution is to play with him, play with him, play with him.

Begin a scheduled nightly play time where you devote a half hour or so to Games with him. Every night at the same time, he will soon learn that this is his special time with you and look forward to it.

The nightly Game time will go a long way to making him settle down, feel more secure and less needing of other outlets such as banging cupboards and destructive behaviors.

Put something in front of the cupboards at night until he gets out of the habit. (I have cupboard bangers too)

Give him some cardboard boxes to make forts out of. Cats love Box Forts.

Give him a box or two for his toys, so he can fish out the ones he wants. Rotate toys, putting some away and taking out others, to keep things interesting for him. (except favorites)

When Mazy first came here Tolly taught her how to bang cupboard doors. Now Tolly only did it now and then, but Mazy took the lesson to heart and was banging cupboard doors on a nightly basis.

At first I tried shutting her in the bathroom when she started banging at 3 a.m... Well...that back fired because.... first I heard her try to get out. Then I heard thump, thump, crash, as she knocked everything off the vanity.

Then there was silence, and I fell asleep. When I woke in the morning she was sound asleep on the bed.

My bathroom looked like it had been snowing in there because she had shredded every roll of toilet paper she could find.HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

So, next, every night I would put kitchen chairs in front of the cupboards. This was a real pain in the neck but I wanted some sleep. That worked for a couple of nights and then one night I awoke to this sound:

rattlerattlerattle BANG! rattlerattlerattle BANG! I confess I lay there for quite some time trying to figure out what it was I was hearing.....

I have a bread box on my counter with a roll top front. Mazy had discovered how much fun it was to lift the roll top (rattlerattlerattle) and then let it drop... BANG!

Now Mazy is five years old and doesn't do as many of those funny things.

She does still like Gravity experiments though (she broke a few things I valued greatly before I learned my lesson which was to put things where she couldn't push them off, or quake-hold them)

Anyway Mazy has a little dish that I keep various toys and other interesting things in, for her to fish out and let drop, to satisfy her need for Gravity Experiments.

In fact, she and Jennie have a Game now. When Mazy starts fishing in her Gravity Experiment Bowl, Jennie goes and sits underneath, and when Mazy drops something, Jennie will chase it. Then come back to wait for the next thing.

I vary what's in the dish, to keep it interesting for them.

They also have a couple of toy boxes, a Box Fort (there are several Box Forts, I rotate them every few months) and occasionally I bring out a paper bag of a length of brown packing paper.

And yes, my three get nightly Interactive Games with me.
Unread 08-21-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

in addition, a feliway plug in diffuser or two,and/or some rescue remedy might help him feel more settled, too.

They are not a replacement for your attention. but they can help. Info in my sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 08-22-2009   #9 (permalink)
Newborn

nocturne is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

It sounds like you're having quite a time of it with your handsome wee boy.

The other members seem to have covered pretty much everything you can try with him. The only things I'd reinforce would be -

Don't hit him - it will only send him the wrong message.

Give him toys - This needn't be expensive. Cardboard boxes, paper bags and toilet roll holders can be wonderous things.

Play with him. By doing all this, he is trying to get your attention. Play with him, tire him out.
Unread 08-22-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

What would we do if we didn't have our cats to drive us crazy. I've been laughing my a** off with each one of the antics shared by the others. I also agree with the advice put forth by everyone. He isn't bad he's finding ways to amuse himself which if you provide interaction it will stimulate and then tire him out. Please don't smack him though as he will fear you. They don't understand what it is they did. Who knows maybe he is like a gifted child who needs some extra stimulation to help with the pulsifity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
addition , advice , aggressive , box , boy , brown , care , cat , cats , crazy , eye , favorites , fish , food , fun , funny , games , girl , great , hey , house , hurt , interesting , jack , joy , jumping , kitty , laser , lost , love , mat , morning , mouse , night , personality , play , playing , problem , problems , rescue , scratch , sleep , small , toys , wake

Sponsored Cat Links