It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-08-2009   #1 (permalink)
Cool Cat

CanadianCat is on a distinguished road
Default Has anyone tried Scccat?

Hi everyone. This is the first cat I’ve had this problem with, probably because the others were too feral/anti-social that they didn’t spend much time around me, but with Pippa, it’s become quite a problem.

Jumping on the kitchen counters, stove, into sink etc. I thought I was making headway with just picking her up and giving her a firm “NO” and setting her down on the floor. Then the vet explained to me that would only work if I was there, that she will continue to go up there if no one is around. It’s not so much that she goes on the counter that bothers me, there is one counter that I feed Beebo on (at the moment Pippa’s food is on one platform of her cat tree).

The real problem is when I’m cooking (which I do quite a bit of) and my hands are full of( whatever) and there are bowls of this and that, and worse, that the stove is on and the top is very hot and there are even large pots that she could jump into in a second.

The Vet said they had trained the hospital cat using a motion sensitive air spray (no chemicals just air that squirts out). Well, I gave in and ordered one, I should be getting it later this week and have high hopes,

At first I had thought I wouldn’t mind if she went on the counters when I wasn’t there as there wouldn’t be anything dangerous or any food lying about as usually I put everything away. But the other night I went through and I had left a wok I had been frying in on the stove and there was Miss Pip, sitting there lapping OIL out of the wok........ (that can’t be good for her!) Then I realized I (although I am pretty tidy) can’t be depended on to always put every single item away - sharp knives in the sink etc. What if she tried to lick a knife blade!

I figure once she is trained off the no-cat counters I can use it for the dining room table and a few other places I’d rather she not go. Personally I don’t mind if she comes up to see what’s on my dinner plate but I imagine at a Christmas dinner or something the guests might not be so tolerant lol.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has used this product.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-08-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

I have not, but will be greatly interested in how it goes for you.

Can you provide a link?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-08-2009   #3 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yes, silly of me not to put a link the first time

SSS Cat Automated Repellent by Multivet
Unread 09-08-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

I understand your annoyance about this. I trained my queen to stay off the tables by using a regular water spray, as cats think of them as "an act of God".
I think this air spray will work the same way, as Anastasia hates it when I blow air in her face. I used to do that in case of emergency. Like when she managed to bite me while brushing her.

Have you tried a regular spray with water btw?
Unread 09-08-2009   #5 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Quote:
Have you tried a regular spray with water btw
No, not water. I did fill a jar half full with pennies and would shake it when she jumped up and that did work at first but then she seemed to enjoy it

Also if I'm working ie hands full of flour etc it's pretty hard to grab something to squirt or shake or even pick her up immediately to put her down, depending what's on my hands it might not be good for her if she licked it off herself (cleansers etc) Also as the vet said something that doesn't come from me would be much more effective as after a time she will think "oh it's just Mom doing that" but if I'm not in sight and the air spray goes then she will only associate that with the counter.

The problem with the air spray is that I will set it off myself but she goes on the counters often enough when I'm not around that I hope it will work, there's a window over the sink that is highly attractive to her. She was so funny this morning I had the sink full of soapy water and she jumped up and ended up with a big pile of soap suds on her head, I wish I'd been able to get a photo but she had managed to knock it off by the time I got the camera.
Unread 09-08-2009   #6 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

It seems very convenient for determined kitties. If I had that and it went off when I walked by, I might end up having a heart attack though. Lol. Especially if it's dark in the room. I'm easily startled, thanks to all the horror movies I've been watching throughout my life

Anastasia learned very fast to not jump on the table. I only squirted the bottle at her once and she knew I didn't like her being there. If I see her looking interested in the table now, she will settle with a firm "no". Coz I keep the water bottle nearby and she fears it
Unread 09-17-2009   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

The Sccccat arrived yesterday. I was surprised to find a handwritten note on the packaging slip. It said “Thank you for your purchase Beth, we hope your cat enjoys this” LOL that cracked me up. She is certainly NOT enjoying it.

It is definitely working. I had a bit of a problem at first because I was setting it off, so I decided to wait until I had finished cooking and then turn it on again. Of course the problem is that she really only goes on the counters when I am cooking. I felt a bit mean but I set a little trap for her, I put a small amount of sardines in a dish and left them right in the area where the Scaat would activate. A short time later I heard it go off, she’d also been Scccatted a few times while I was working earlier and she now eyes the counter very warily.

I’ll keep updating as we make progress, but so far I’m happy with it.
Unread 09-17-2009   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for letting us know! I giggled at the hand written note too, why would your cat enjoy the sscat, hehehe!

I'll be watching for further updates!
Unread 09-17-2009   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

I am going to have to buy one of these! Dante has an issue with trying to climb up on top of the TV, which is so dangerous, being as it's a flat screen! There's nothing for him to climb on, the lil bugger Maybe having one of these on the TV stand, where he starts his climb might work!
Unread 09-18-2009   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I can see that it wouldn't be convenient to spray water on top of a flat screen

I also laughed about the note, Beth. What a strange thing to say.

Tags
attack , bite , camera , cat , cats , christmas , device , eyes , fast , feral , food , fun , funny , fur , happy , hey , home , joy , kitties , morning , movies , night , problem , queen , silly , small , social , vet , water , window

Sponsored Cat Links