It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-28-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Nanalilly is on a distinguished road
Default My cat has gone from a sweetheart to a mean spirit. Help!

My boyfriend and I recently adopted a cat named Biggs from a woman who was taking care of him for her ex. He was an outdoor-turned indoor cat since before we picked him up, and he was darling. From the moment we met him, he was nothing but loving and affectionate. He would wake me up every day so he could cuddle with me underneath the covers, and would always be demanding attention from us.

For the last 3 weeks, his personality has changed. He dislikes being held or picked up, and only seems to give us attention when we are about to feed him. He never comes to sleep with me anymore, and has even changed the regular places where he sleeps to places on our floor. He is generally unfriendly and ill tempered. We haven't given this cat anything but love, and have absolutely no idea what could have triggered this dramatic change in his personality. We miss the old biggs!

We would take him to the vet, but my boyfriend and I are in a tight position with our money right now. I have a few wild guesses as to what may have triggered this, but I am not sure.

1- We feed him 2 cans of Friskies wet food a day. He was severely underweight when we first got him, and he is now a bit more on the plump side. I'm not sure if weight affects temperament. We're wondering if maybe we've overfed him and as a result spoiled him a little too much. Could this be an issue?

2- We had him stay at my boyfriend's mother's for a day when we were gone, and when we were driving him home, he got nervous and had some sort of "episode" (not sure what to call it exactly). He was drooling profusely out of fear, and soiled himself. We were about ready to take him to the vet, but after it happened, he went 100% back to normal. I know that sounds like a poor decision, but he has not shown signs of physical issues since then.

Right now he seems energetic and healthy, and does not appear to be in any pain. He spends a lot of time playing around the house. The only difference in his temperament now with respect to when we first got him is that he doesn't seem to want our company anymore. He used to purr all the time with even the slightest amount of affection--but now he doesn't even purr at all.

I know this is a lot of scattered information, but hopefully someone will make something of it. We'd really like any sort of help from anyone who may understand what would make a cat completely dislike their owners. We would never even dream of abusing him; it's not as if we hurt him or anything. He's given a lot of positive attention and love.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Nanalilly; 09-28-2009 at 02:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-28-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Was there something that happened to him during his stay at your mother's house? Or possibly the stress of the car ride there, the stay, then a car ride back home triggered it.

For the food, do you feed him any dry kibble? 2 cans of wet food a day is a bit much. I'd put him on a schedule feeding, with maybe a 1/2 can of wet food twice a week. You don't want to overfeed, it leads to many problems.
Unread 09-28-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Nanalilly is on a distinguished road

According to my boyfriend's mother, he had a good time and was very well behaved.

We started changing up his diet yesterday, so hopefully that will go over well. Thank you!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-02-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

His diet (so long as it's been consistent) shouldn't affect his behavior. In fact, he's likely to revolt if you switch so dramatically from all that delicious wet food he's been enjoying

The trip to grandma's house sticks out like an eye sore. Is that when it all started to go downhill? Something may have severely traumatized him, and he just can't let go of it.

Any other major changes to the household? Boyfriend moving in or out, new pets, new furniture, change of litter, etc?

I have two cats. One of them apparently thinks I'm some sort of god, the other actually does hold me accountable for my actions. She gets mad at me. Sometimes if I'm gone for a long time, she wants to have nothing to do with me for days afterward. Once I was brushing her, and she just attacked me out of nowhere. (I'm thinking I nicked a sore under her fur somewhere.)

Cats have feelings. Something has upset kitty and he's dealing with it in his own way. Don't pressure him (like continuously approach him or try to brush him, make him love on you, etc.); just let him do his own thing. I'm GUESSING you will be sitting at the computer or watching television one day and boom, there he'll be, jumping up into your lap, as if nothing happened. It seems unlikely that he will just hate you FOREVER now

Of course these are just my thoughts; hope they help ^^
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"

Tags
adopted , affectionate , behavior , boyfriend , car , care , cat , cats , changed , computer , diet , dry , food , friendly , fur , furniture , hey , home , house , hurt , jumping , kitty , litter , love , loving , money , moving , nervous , personality , playing , problems , sleep , stress , television , thoughts , upset , wake , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links