It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-01-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

NumberSeven is on a distinguished road
Default Cat "whip" - BAD KITTY!

We have two cats - one 14, the other about 10 - and I've seen this behavior in every cat I've known, but this one needs help.

Did'ja ever see a cat for no apparent reason just begin to fritz out, running heck bent for leather around the house, stopping suddenly, then running again?

Well Willow (an ex-outdoor cat with her front claws removed) was sitting on my lap being loved last night when she got "that look" in her eyes and before I could put her down from the sofa, dug her back claws into me and gave me many many deep scratches before jumping down and running for her life.
I was not stroking her hard or badly, just the usual.

Now today, she just went at it again, growling and running around like a possessed cat on acid.

Anybody know what this is called and how to alleviate it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-02-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

That sounds like the sign of a nervous cat. If she's never done this before, something traumatic (at least in her mind) may have happened recently to her. She's still on edge, and now maybe little tiny things are tipping her off.

My Bastet is an extremely nervous kitty and used to give me gouge marks in my arms until I started clipping her claws. Obviously, not every cat will let you clip her claws (My other cat Nefrit won't let me do it at all.)

As long as she's eating well and still washes herself, it's probably not health-related.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-02-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

NumberSeven is on a distinguished road
Default Whippy Kitty

Upset? Nah, I don't think so. She's mostly calm as milk toast and a real lover, and loves attention. Cat #1 and her (also a female) have a grudging truce and I've had to let Willow know in no uncertain terms that the older cat is really Cat #1 if you will as Willow has attempted to take over the house, but mostly she's a good girl.

The Whips happen suddenly and without provocation.

As to claws, neither really like it, but I DO keep their back claws trimmed, and now I shall be a bit more diligent in that regard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 4.jpg (78.6 KB, 5 views)

Tags
behavior , calm , cat , cats , claws , clipping , eating , eyes , female , girl , growling , health , house , jumping , kitty , needs help , nervous , night , outdoor , upset

Sponsored Cat Links