It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-11-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

tankgirl is on a distinguished road
Default 5 month old kitten has pretty severe food aggression?

A friend of mine found a stray tortoiseshell kitten walking around in the city and took her home without hesitation. She was starved, covered in fleas, and lethargic. We nursed her back to health, and initially took her to the vet, of course. She had no health issues, and vet said she was about 7 weeks old at the time. Her name is Spot.

Well now she is fully recovered, and doing very well, she is very friendly too.

She has one problem though - food agression/obsession. She will try to jump up at you if you are holding human food, and if you shoo her away she will growl, and even try to bite at you. If you leave chicken or any kind of meat out on the kitchen counter to thaw, she will tear the packaging open and eat almost all of it as soon as you are not looking. My friend also has a young child, and the kitten tries to snatch food out of the child's hands, and even bit her in the face once.

My friend also has two other cats, and they both get along very well with Spot. They have one of those automatic feeders( one for kitten food in another room, and one for the adult cats), so they always have cat food available all day and dont have to compete for it or anything.

Can anyone help me find a solution for this kitten's food behavior? Thank you in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to tankgirl For This Useful Post:

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Fine
happyhippie is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Food Aggression

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl View Post
A friend of mine found a stray tortoiseshell kitten walking around in the city and took her home without hesitation. She was starved, covered in fleas, and lethargic. We nursed her back to health, and initially took her to the vet, of course. She had no health issues, and vet said she was about 7 weeks old at the time. Her name is Spot.

Well now she is fully recovered, and doing very well, she is very friendly too.

She has one problem though - food agression/obsession. She will try to jump up at you if you are holding human food, and if you shoo her away she will growl, and even try to bite at you. If you leave chicken or any kind of meat out on the kitchen counter to thaw, she will tear the packaging open and eat almost all of it as soon as you are not looking. My friend also has a young child, and the kitten tries to snatch food out of the child's hands, and even bit her in the face once.

My friend also has two other cats, and they both get along very well with Spot. They have one of those automatic feeders( one for kitten food in another room, and one for the adult cats), so they always have cat food available all day and dont have to compete for it or anything.

Can anyone help me find a solution for this kitten's food behavior? Thank you in advance.

Hello Tankgirl I thank you for being so kind an taken in a stray kitty.

It is a HARD life for a stray cat they must learn at young age to fight for every bit of food they find an at 7 weeks old this poor kitty had to fight off older cats for her food now that she is no longer a stray she still thinks that she has to fight. put out a food bowl just for her get a spray bottle one with a long range spray an every time she try's to take food from you or your kid try's to bit spray her an use a commanding voice an say "NO BAD KITTY" then take her to her food an walk away. If you leave chicken or any kind of meat out on the kitchen counter hide with bottle in hand when she jumps on the counter let her have it and with your commanding voice say "NO BAD KITTY" in time she will learn that she don't have to fight or steal food. It just takes time. I hope this will help.

Take care my friend an once again thank you for taken in a stray.

HappyHippie =^..^=

I love all cats and kittens the strays and the ugly one's too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
adult , age , aggression , agression , behavior , bite , care , cat food , cats , color , fight , fleas , food , found , friendly , growl , health , hey , home , kitten , kitten food , kittens , kitty , love , obsession , problem , stray , strays , vet

Sponsored Cat Links