It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-16-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

PheebsDadWv is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Advice for growling, hissing, swatting.

Hello folks,

Im new here, and have a question about my 6yr old cat Phoebe. I got her when she was 6 weeks old, and was an indoor cat until 3 years ago. I had to move home with my dad due to a disability, and she at first did not adjust well, my dad has 3 docile beagles, and one tom cat, Herbie, (im uploading his picture too),who is mostly an outdoor cat and is very friendly.

She is healthy, and i have noticed, within the past year, her behavior has changed, and not in a good way. Before she was let outside, she never hissed, growled, or anything in that nature. She avoids me all together, unless it's feeding time, and when i do see her, she growls, swats at me, hisses, bullies Herbie, will not let him eat his food, Herbie and the dogs do not pick on her. They want to be her friend but she will not have any of that.

She also stays out constantly, even in bad weather, i cannot seem to do anything with her, and she used to be the most loveable, sweet cat, and now it's like her personality has changed. Im not sure if it's because i babied her too much when it was just me and her, or if she's mad at me because i took her out of her element.

Last checkup was 2 weeks ago, she had to be sedated just to be examined, everything is fine physically, i wasn't given any advice on her behavior. I just wondered if anybody else has a similar situation, and any advice/tips that would help....I want my old Pheebs back, but i feel like ive lost her

Thanks for any help.
David
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-16-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi David, sorry you haven't had any useful advice

It sounds like a tough situation to be in. I haven't had any experience of this but it does sound as though she misses her old life when it was just the pair of you and has gradually realised that it's a permanent situation and has reacted in this way.

I honestly don't know what to suggest - unless something happened in the house while you weren't there that has caused her to behave in this way - and regardless of how she reacts to you, you continue to only show her love and care hopefully she will return to being the lovely Phoebe she was before.

I hope others will see your post and offer advice based on experience.

Heidi x

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

PheebsDadWv is on a distinguished road

Hi Heidi,
Thank you for your reply, I appreciate you trying to help me solve my problem with Phoebe, I have wondered if she is not liking her new lifestyle, even though she loves the outdoors now. I can't honestly think of anything bad that would have happened when nobody was home, so im still stumped. Tonite, it's cold out, and i decided to keep her indoors, and tried to give her some love, but again, the growling and hissing continued, now she is asleep inside the dogs food bowl.

Again, thank you for your advice, she will continue to be loved and treasured as always, i just hope some day soon, i can be able to hold and listen to her purr again. I posted pictures of her on my album, with my other feline friends, and if anybody else could help me, god bless.
David
Unread 10-17-2009   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hi David.
Your cat photos are lovely.
I'm sorry I can't offer any advice other than to agree with Heidi & hope that in time Phoebe will return more to her old loving self.
One of my cats, Ripley, can be very grumpy at times. She is an indoor cat and she hisses and swats quite a lot, mostly at my other cat Newt but sometimes at me & my husband. She can be really affectionate too and loves to be petted and cuddled when she's in the mood. She's always been like this so I really don't know what to suggest. I'm hoping others here may be able to help.

Tags
advice , affectionate , behavior , care , cat , cat photos , cats , changed , cold , dogs , food , friendly , friends , growling , growls , healthy , hey , hissing , home , house , indoor , lost , love , loving , outdoor , personality , pet , photos , picture , pictures , problem , question , tips

Sponsored Cat Links