It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-27-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

lae21 is on a distinguished road
Question I thought my cat was spade, now I'm not sure...

Hi, my name is Leslie and my cat's name is Baby. She's about 3 years old, has been living with me for over 2 years now. She was a rescue found on the outskirts of town, so I have no idea about what kind of life she had before I got her. But since she was already declawed, I figured she was spade too. In two years there has been no reason for me to doubt, until now.

We live on the third floor of an apartment building. I started letting her go out on the balcony late this summer, thinking there would be no problems. A big white tomcat started coming around, but I thought nothing of it because a. she's spade, and b. he has no way to get to her.

Well, Baby is going crazy over this cat. She watches for him from one of our windows, and yowls like crazy when he comes into sight. I can't let her out on the balcony anymore because she jumped down onto the roof of the main door to the building, and then onto my neighbors porch, in an effort to be closer to Romeo. Now I am wondering if she just wants some feline companionship (she is an only and is likely to stay that way), or if she really isn't spade & needs to be.

Anyone ever hear of this happening before?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-29-2009   #2 (permalink)
Cool Cat

lovemeow is on a distinguished road

Hi Leslie,

The best way to find out if your kitty is spayed is to have a vet exam Baby. Did you find her from a shelter? If so, they should have all the records about her.

If a cat is in heat, she shows obvious signs:

1. she carries her tail to one side
2. keeps her hindquarters elevated
3. exhibits treading movements of the hind legs
4. unusually affectionate, rubbing her hind quarters against furniture, toys, etc.
5. rolls on the floor a lot
6. more restless than usual
7. her voice is more piercing and keeps calling for 1-2 days
8. excessive licking in her genital area
9. may spray with a strong scented fluid

Did you see them together when she jumped down to the neighbors?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- my blog dedicated to our furry buddies
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~|
|~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-29-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

No, she didn't come from the shelter. She either ran away from her first home or was abandoned on the outskirts of town. A lady with 6 cats found her and gave her to me. That's why I don't know her history.

She doesn't exhibit any of the other signs of being in heat. She acts fairly "normal" (what is normal for a cat? LOL!) except when Romeo comes around.

No, they haven't gotten together. She's had all her shots, but I wouldn't want her to be around any cats I didn't know, even if he looks like he has a home. He was still down in the yard when she jumped on the neighbor's balcony. They are on the second floor.

Thanks for the info. I guess my cat is just WEIRD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeow View Post
Hi Leslie,

The best way to find out if your kitty is spayed is to have a vet exam Baby. Did you find her from a shelter? If so, they should have all the records about her.

If a cat is in heat, she shows obvious signs:

1. she carries her tail to one side
2. keeps her hindquarters elevated
3. exhibits treading movements of the hind legs
4. unusually affectionate, rubbing her hind quarters against furniture, toys, etc.
5. rolls on the floor a lot
6. more restless than usual
7. her voice is more piercing and keeps calling for 1-2 days
8. excessive licking in her genital area
9. may spray with a strong scented fluid

Did you see them together when she jumped down to the neighbors?
Unread 10-30-2009   #4 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Hi Leslie,

This sounds more like a territorial issue. sometimes cats get stressed out because they see another cat outside with all the freedom esp. if the cat is urinating (marking his territory). One of my cats does that sometimes, but he doesn't keep yowling since we have 2 other cats here to keep him busy.

You probably have seen videos of cats looking out the windows, seeing a stray/feral cat and they just start yowling and howling. They are not happy that they can't go outside to show the stray cat their dominance, thus get frustrated.

It doesn't mean that we should let our cats roam outside by themselves. There are alot of dangers in the outdoors. Some people walk their cats with a harness, but it's definitely not for every cat. Cats don't like to be restrained.

anyway hope this helps .

~|
|~
Unread 10-30-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

While I have not seen videos of this, I did have a previous cat who did things like that. And I could tell she wasn't happy. Baby doesn't take that angry stance (just the yowling), which is why I was afraid she wanted to mate.

I've had cats for about 38 years of my life and I am a firm believer in keeping my housecats inside, just thought she'd like some fresh air out on the balcony once in awhile. Then Romeo came around and she decided to play "mountain goat" and I have to keep her in again. Ah well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeow View Post
Hi Leslie,

This sounds more like a territorial issue. sometimes cats get stressed out because they see another cat outside with all the freedom esp. if the cat is urinating (marking his territory). One of my cats does that sometimes, but he doesn't keep yowling since we have 2 other cats here to keep him busy.

You probably have seen videos of cats looking out the windows, seeing a stray/feral cat and they just start yowling and howling. They are not happy that they can't go outside to show the stray cat their dominance, thus get frustrated.

It doesn't mean that we should let our cats roam outside by themselves. There are alot of dangers in the outdoors. Some people walk their cats with a harness, but it's definitely not for every cat. Cats don't like to be restrained.

anyway hope this helps .
Unread 10-31-2009   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

Yea cats are hard to read sometimes, but it's great that your kitty has a wonderful cat mama to look after her. My kitties are sleeping right now. One in his bowl shaped bed and the other 2 are snuggling each other. It's really cute!

It's so much more obvious to tell if a boy cat is neutered than a female cat. Though you could look for a small scar on her underside, if she was spayed long time ago, the scar is prob too small to see. In some cases it heals so well that it simply disappears.

Another way to see if she is spayed is to keep watching her for a while and see if she will come into season. If you want a definite answer, a vet will be able to determine if she's spayed.

Or maybe she is just an extremely curious kitty. Here is a link to a video about an indoor cat meets a bobcat. It's very interesting.

When an Indoor Cat Meets an Outdoor Cat | Love Meow - for Ultimate Cat Lovers

~|
|~
Unread 10-31-2009   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome! I agree with what has already been said. If she was not spayed, after living with her for two years you would have known it by now.

Cats don't choose who they want to mate with, so I do not think she wants to mate with this big white cat. When they are in heat they want to mate because their body tells them to, it is not done with the brain or emotions

It may be she knows him, or knew a cat like him, or she just is a cat friendly cat, or it is a territorial reaction. You could install a feliway plug in diffuser or two to help her feel more secure in her home and less territorial, but I agree with you about keeping her in from that balcony. If she lunged at him and fell......well it's too awful to contemplate.

If you can find a way to secure the balcony with some type of cat proof screening, (they sell kits for that kind of thing) or train her to harness, and only let her out there when you are with her and can pull her in as soon as white cat appears, either of those might be a solution.

Another idea is to just get her a nice cat tree and set it up by the balcony window or door so she can have her perch but stay safely inside.

Thank you for taking in this stray girl Leslie and welcome to you and Baby. I had a cat named Baby too. But he's been waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge for 12 years now.

please read this first

Tags
affectionate , aggression , another cat , apartment , art , baby , boy , cat , cat lovers , cat's , cats , crazy , dominance , feral , found , friendly , fur , furniture , girl , great , heat , hey , home , in heat , interesting , kitty , licking , play , problems , rescue , shelter , sleeping , small , spayed , stray , territorial , toys , type , vet , video , videos , weird , window , yowling

Sponsored Cat Links