It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-09-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Cheeks is on a distinguished road
Default Older male Cat / New Female kitten problem

We have had our male tuxedo cat Cheeks for 5 years now and I would gues he is about 8 - 10 years old. In July 2009 we aquired a female kitten who at that time was about 2 1/2 months old.

From day 1 Cheeks will not have anything to do with the kitten and he simply runs away from her all the time. Cheeks will however protect his territory from other male cats in the area and he is not afraid to fight these male cats but with the kitten all he does is run away - returning a few hours later. It is difficult at times to even get him into the house as he just sits outside the door.

Cheeks growels at the kitten but then runs off. Any help on this strange situation would be appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-10-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there, it sounds like a variation on a very common problem on the site! Cheeks has been used to being an only cat with your undivided attention and then along comes this young upstart who smells different and has invaded his territory. Some existing cats react with aggression but Cheeks sounds more confused than aggressive.

One good suggestion a member posted was to try and get them familiar with each of their scent. If you rub Cheeks with a towel and then the kitten you are transferring his scent to her - then if you do it the opposite way you transfer some of her scent to him. Smell is very important and if Cheeks gets used to that he should come round in time, even if they are never bosom buddies they will be able to share the house quite happily!

If anyone else has other suggestions, then come and reply

Good luck, let us know how things go

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-11-2009   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Older male Cat / New Female Kitten problem

Hello Supersmithy thank you for the advice which I will try and let you know the results.
Unread 11-11-2009   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cheerful
tigger481971 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I know this problem as I had the same during the lat few months. The only difference ist that I already had 3 cats and then adopted 2 (13 weeks okd)more in August. The younger cats Fluffy 2 years and Pips 1,5 years) were fine with the kitten after 1 week. but Mimi, the oldest one (6 years) was very upset. Actually she still is sometimes, but it's getting better now. The first 2,5 months were horrible. She has been growling all the time when one of the smalish ones came into the room. The nights were even worse. In the end she even went there and hit them. I got the impression that she wanted me just for herself, even if she had company from Fluffy and Pips before.
I tried everything...feeding her first, greeting her first, playing with her first, takeing extra Mimi-time with her.....nothing helped. I've been asking a lot of friends for advise, but the first positive result I achieved when a friend of mine gave me a pillow with herbs especcially picked for my Mimi. There herbs should support her calming down. It was not too expensive, so I thought I'll give it a try. I put this into her favorite place and she calmed down a lot. I'm also trying some homoeopathic Globulies another friend, a certified alternative practitioner, recommended.
Now it's still not perfect, but at least a situation I can live with. Yesterday I saw Mimi grooming Lulu first time since she came to us. This was a great moment.
If you are interested, I could put together some contacts and send it to you.
Just lt me know.

Good luck!

Cheers
Kerstin
Unread 11-11-2009   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Default Older Male Cat / New Female Kitten problem

Hello Kerstin - Thank you for taking the time to reply. I am interested in anything that has worked for someone else in this situation and I would be very grateful if you would please be so kind as to let me have a note of your contacts.
Cheeks is by nature a nervous cat and as soon as the kitten runs towards Cheeks he bolts away closely being chased by the kitten. To see such a large cat being chased down the garden by a small kitten is a weird sight.

When we first got the kitten and Cheeks ran off he disappeared for hours. Now he does come back quite soon but it is 5 nearly 6 months down the road.

Another thing is that the kitten is not afraid of anything - Cheeks (who is amuch larger than average cat) other adult cats in the area, fireworks and even the hoover!!!!!

One time the kitten was confronted by Cheeks and 2 other cats - lots of growls and hisses but the kitten just sat there looking as if nothing was going on!!!

I look forward to your reply and thank you again. For interest I have recently put a picture of Cheeks on this site.

Tags
adopted , adult , advice , aggression , aggressive , art , cat , cats , female , fight , friends , great , grooming , growling , growls , hey , house , kitten , male , nervous , picture , playing , problem , small , suggestions , tuxedo cat , upset

Sponsored Cat Links