It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ZergyPoo is on a distinguished road
Default Our Cat Hissed at Guests for the first time Ever!

I'm not really sure what to do about this. Our cat, Harriet, is almost a year and a half old. She's never been shy, and has always been friendly and sociable. She never hides when strangers come over, and she even lets people pick her up.

However, last night, we had some people over, and she seemed to be her normal self, she was playing, lying down next to people, someone was even using our laser pointer to play with her (that gets her worked up quite a bit and she can chase that for a long while). But then someone picked her up, and she hissed at her! She's never done this before to anyone (other than the vet who was giving her a shot).

Not only that, later in the evening, she was picked up twice more by two different people and hissed at them as well.

Now, my wife and I pick up up all the time, and even when she's not in the mood, she just pushes away instead of hissing.

About a week ago though, she did hiss at us. She had gotten some cat poop (gross) stuck to the hair around... you know... and she got extremely mad when we picked her up and wiped it off.

Perhaps this behavior is a memory of this incident? We're also wondering whether we should stop using the laser pointer, as she gets pretty worked up when we bring it out, and perhaps she was a little over-excited having both the pointer and strangers picking her up at the same time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-13-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi there, I already replied to your post in the meow section.

I've not had specific experience of this - but I do think that cats have long memories and when something has upset or spooked them they can think the same thing is going to happen again in a similar situation, so your suggestion may well be correct, especially if she was a bit hyper

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
behavior , cat , cat poop , cats , friendly , hey , hissing , hyper , laser , meow , night , playing , poop , stop , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links