It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-15-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Andreany123044 is on a distinguished road
Default Can a cat ever get used to another?

I hope I explain this good..i have one cat that we got from a shelter. Shes a good cat but likes to be left alone unless she comes to you. We stayed with my mom for a month and brought her with us (of course!) and she has 2 cats. My cat and her cats did NOT get along..I know a lot of it was my cat. She hid in our room the whole time. I wanted to adopt another cat from the shelter..and my question is..Can a cat get used to another cat, or are some just meant to be alone? I was told they will get used to it sometime, but I dont want to stress her. I just need to know if its a bad idea. Thanks so much!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-17-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

It depends on how you introduce them, if you do it slowly, then yes she may well learn to accept your new cat. It is best if you keep them seperate for a few weeks, and transfer each others scent between them, then it is possible that she will come to like the other cat, however it is equally possible that she never will accept the other cat, my Saffy doesn't like Billy even though I followed the above, when he came out of my daughters room, both Saffy and Phoebe hit him constantly, eventually he retaliated and smacked them both, now Phoebe is fine with him, but Saffy still hisses and growls at him all the time. It is possible to buy Feliway diffuser which can help, with pheromones but not always, and sometimes Bach Rescue Remedy can also help too, but bascally just take your time introducing them and it is possible all will be well.
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-17-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello to you & your cat!
She may react differently in her own home then she did in your mother's home. It may take time & patience for her to accept a new cat.
Further to what Maggiemay has advised make sure you give your first cat lots of attention to reassure her that she is still 'first' in your affections.
There is lots of good advice on this forum regarding introducing new cats.
Let us know if you decide to get another cat & how it goes.
Unread 03-09-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

kittyclickertrainer is on a distinguished road

I agree with what the previous posters said. What shelter workers have told me is that it is usually easier to add a cat of the opposite sex or the same sex but younger. My first two cats were 3 and both female when we adopted a third cat. It wasn't really planned and the new cat was also a female and 7 yrs. old. I set up the guest bedroom for the new cat and she stayed in there for one week. I'd visit her in the room but she was stressed and needed to get use to the new environment. The second week I'd lock my first two cats in a different room and open the guest room door so the new cat could explore the new house without worrying about two strange cats.

I did this swapping for about 2 weeks so the new cats scent would mix into the house and the previous ones would get use to it. When I finally did let the new cat meet the other two I didn't force it. I just left the room door open and observed. I also had a Feliway diffuser which was EXTREMELY helpful and worth every penny.

As long as you're very patient and don't force things it is possible to add new cat. When you traveled with your cat it was just too much change (house, new cats) and not enough time for everyone to become use to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adopted , advice , another cat , cat , cats , environment , female , growls , hey , home , house , new cat , new cats , question , rescue , sex , shelter , stress

Sponsored Cat Links