It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-25-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ristakrat is on a distinguished road
Question Kitty Depression???

My fiancee and I have been living together for about three months. He has an almost three year old cat named Meowser. I have known this cat since he was a tiny kitten and have treated him as my own and adopted his sister at the same time.
In the three months of us living together Meowser has become completely depressed. He is lethargic, hides under the bed all day, rarely eats or grooms himself and as of last night and today, he now hisses at me too. He also just looks SO SAD.
We recently moved to an awesome house with tons of windows. My cat is always in the windows watching and chattering at birds and squirrels. Meowser is under the bed. It is so sad because before my fiancee and I moved in together he was really playful. I feel like he hates me and would rather spend all day hiding than be in my company. It really hurts my feelings. I just leave him be though for fear of making things worse. He comes out only when my fiancee comes home and then just sits in his lap the whole night.Its a pretty sad existence really. Everything points to me being the cause of his depression, but I'm not going anywhere.
We are considering putting him on anti-depression meds as we are adding a puppy to the family in a week and I'm sure he'll hate it... he hates everything now it seems.
Do they work? Will he be happier? Is it a good idea to medicate a cat in this way?
I have done a small amount of research on holistic anti-depression meds for cats... know of any?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-25-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

Hello to all of you.
Have you had Meowser checked by a vet to rule out any illness that may be causing his lethargy?
You've all had a lot of changes recently, moving in together & moving house. Perhaps Meowser needs more time to adjust. People on this forum swear by Feliway plug in diffusers to help reduce stress in cats.
Does he get on with your other cat?
I wouldn't blame yourself for causing him to be unhappy. Some cats just take longer to adjust to change than others. Tell your fiance to continue to pay Meowser lots of attention & to make a big fuss of him (especially when the puppy comes along) as he may be feeling very insecure at the moment.
I really hope things settle down soon & Meowser returns to his usual playful self. It must be very upsetting for you. Let us know how you get on.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-26-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
maggiemay is on a distinguished road

Just a thought, has your finacee possibly done anything to your kitty? Whether deliberate or otherwise? Is it possible that there is another cat(s) outside that is stressing him out? Not sure it would be good idea to get a puppy right now until you figure out what is wrong with your kitty, good luck!
Former mom to: Rosie, Tigger, Samson, Smokey, Maggiemay, Tasha, Abby, Coco, SmokeyJr, Merlin, and Merlin Jr, Gracie, and Samson Jr, I left you all in Canada with the exception of Rosie and Tigger who I know are no longer with us! I hope that you are all happy, and I'm sorry I couldn't bring you with me!

Tags
adopted , another cat , birds , cat , cats , depressed , family , happy , hey , hiding , home , house , kitten , kitty , moving , night , puppy , sad , small , stress , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links