It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-19-2009   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

ChapperIce is on a distinguished road
Default Cat is mean to my kitten

I have an adult cat named Simon and a kitten, not sure how old, whom I rescued after my neighbors abandoned her outside after moving away. She's pretty young, I've had her since summer and she's still tiny. Her name is Russia.

Anyway, usually the two get along fine. They can eat fromt he same bowl just fine, they curl up on top of eachother when it's time to sleep.
Then Simon gets active and he'll chase her around the house. When he gets her, he starts biting her on her neck, which freaks the kitten out and she swipes at him and hisses.
Sometimes he'll chase her down and just lick her instead of biting her when he catches her, but she still swipes at him and hisses.

Other times, they'll just be sitting in the window together and suddenly Simon will start smacking her with his paw (No claws out) and the kitten smacks back (claws out) and hisses.

Simon never seems to use his claws on her, but does bites, not sure how hard. No blood or anything so he doesn't seem to be trying to hurt her..but the kitten obviously hates it so I don't get what he's doing.

Is he just an instigator or does this have a deeper meaning?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 12-19-2009   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

CamiDante is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like he is trying to assert his dominance over her (him being male)
You could try using a squirt bottle, I use one when my male gets too rough with my female. After a while, he's learned to play more gently with her. Simply spray him when you see him biting on her too much. He'll learn that biting her too much=unpleasant things and will probably stop.
Unread 12-20-2009   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Bored
KatrineA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to KatrineA

Is the male cat neutered? Also make sure to have the female cat spayed. She could get pregnant at 5 months of age.
Unread 12-20-2009   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

ChapperIce is on a distinguished road

Yeah, Simon's neutered, so I haven't worried about the kitten getting spayed just yet since, unless she gets outside, there's no chance of her getting pregnant
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
adult , age , bites , biting , cat , claws , dominance , female , hey , house , hurt , kitten , male , moving , paw , play , pregnant , sleep , spayed , window

Sponsored Cat Links