It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-25-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Katydyd4063 is on a distinguished road
Default kitty sucking on my clothes

I took in a 8 mo old stray kitty and she always wants to get in my lap and suck on my clothes likes she's hungry. I know she's not, because it's usually after I feed her. Please help me understand why she does it and what I can do if anything to stop it.
Thanks....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 02-25-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hi! I know what you mean because I used to have a cat that did exactly the same. My Tippy would always suckle on my clothes whenever she was on my lap or I picked her up so I researched it.

It was called something like retarded juvenile behaviour (which actually sounds horrible!) and usually stems from a kitty being removed from its mother too early. I had Tippy and her brother Ben from 8 weeks old, but it was only Tippy who ever did this - so maybe she needed her mama for a bit longer than Ben did? She was always an incredibly loving cat as well.

Tippy lived until she was 17 and never stopped doing it, so yours may not either - but I found it quite endearing and loveable

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 02-25-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Cool
Mokie is on a distinguished road

Hi, I think it is a comfort thing for them as well, like when you see a two year old sucking on a pacifier, they don't need it but just want it for comfort. And like a two year old it would be very hard for them to stop it. It may decrease in time but I doubt it would fully ever go away.
Unread 05-12-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

HyperSaurusRex is on a distinguished road

My 11 week old kitten will suck on any available part of my skin if I let her. I think it's adorable, but she sucks until the skin is red and raised. She also wakes me up every couple of hours at night trying to suck, so I'm trying to get her to stop.
Unread 05-21-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

sunni is on a distinguished road

expect this to not go away my cat whos 1 years old i call her my gaint suck i think she was taken away from her mother too earlier she sucks on EVERYTHING shes put her paws out and do that little thing they do and suck on her blankie , her cat bed , my clothing ect ect its really rather cute she doesn't have a full meow eitherits very little a sqwaky and then she'll fall asleep or go eat
Unread 08-18-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Lee W. is on a distinguished road

I've had several that did that. Two were feral kittens that we adopted. Obviously they'd been separated a bit too early from the mother cat...and it couldn't have helped that the feral kittens were trapped and were in cages until we brought them home. They hid under furniture for quite a while after we adopted them. In that case, I got a little bottle and milk for them, even though they were weaned, and would let them suck on it once a day for a while. Probably isn't what you're supposed to do, but it seemed to help, along with being real gentle with them and gradually socializing them. Then I stopped doing it. The male stopped doing the sucking fairly early, but the female continued for a while. Eventually she stopped also. I realize that not all will stop the sucking, another cat we had never did.
Unread 08-18-2010   #7 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

Another name for it is sucking wool (no matter what the material may be). My friend gave me two of her cats' kittens at only 6 weeks old! I had no idea, because when she told everyone in the grooming salon that she was gonna be giving away kittens, she told me "it'll be a while because they're not ready yet" so I thought she knew what she was doing lol Anyway, they're 10 weeks old today and they are doing wonderful. I thought my female was gonna start sucking wool, because a few days ago, she grabbed ahold of a hoodie of mine and started sucking (or maybe it was chewing) on it. I removed the hoodie and she hasn't latched onto anything else yet.
Unread 09-28-2010   #8 (permalink)
Newborn

bestmann is on a distinguished road

Three months ago, I found a kitty off the streets. He's about 5 months old now, and he has this sucking habit. Whenever he gets sleepy, he'll climb onto our laps or snuggle inside the covers with us and lick our clothes for a very long time. Our clothes always get soaked and when discourage him from licking our clothes, he'll start licking the sheets. Is there any way to stop this behavior?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
adopted , adorable , another cat , art , behaviour , cat , cats , chewing , cute , female , feral , found , fur , furniture , grooming , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , loving , male , mat , meow , night , stop , stray , weaned

Sponsored Cat Links