It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-06-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

bobingi is on a distinguished road
Default Will he come back?

We rescue kittens that are homeless, and raise them as our own, if possible at the time. This time we rescued a 5 to 6 yr old Maine Coon (we have a MC already who looks like his brother almost), spent several $$ at the vet to save his skin. He has been with us now for almost 2 weeks, and has not been let out of the house. We had him neutered as well.
He is well now, and wants out bad. Will he come back, or just resume his old habits?

Last edited by bobingi; 03-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-06-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Hello, I think what you are doing by rescuing these little kittens is brilliant I guess a fully grown adult is a little different though..

I know how hard it is to keep cats in who want out - but two weeks doesn't sound a long time for a cat to get used to new surroundings. He might go
out and wander off and get lost and not be able to find his way back even if he wants to. What you could do is get him a harness and take him out in the garden with you, letting him have a good nose around without the fear that he might disappear.

I love Maine Coons, my Sasha is a silver tabby MC - do you have any pics of him? Have you given him a name yet?

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-08-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thanks for response. We did let him out before I got your note (I may have not done so had I read you first), he did come back about 5 hrs later, stayed to eat, and left again, and did not return until 5 am (out all night). I have not let him out since (2 days), and either eats or cries all the time. He WANTS OUT! Unless things change, I am going to keep him in, and hope he gets more used to his neuter job (do the hormones slow down over time perhaps?) He cried all last night, and kept everybody awake. Hopefully, that will slack off each night a bit. Don't know what else to do. Sorry, no pics. He is a gorgeous silver MC. He is called Frosty.

Last edited by bobingi; 03-08-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Unread 03-08-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

I know it's tough! I'm having to keep Sasha in at the moment as she has just had an op and she is not enjoying it.

I let Pixie and Sasha out during the day but I like them to be in at night so I've developed a feeding schedule which means that they get fed later in the evening when I want them in. It works a treat and now they tend to come in even before I start rattling the bowls!

Maybe you could try the same with Frosty - but not sure that will help with his crying. From other posts I've read on here, the male hormones do settle down within a few weeks of an adult cat being neutered - so maybe not too long to wait!

The Following User Says Thank You to supersmithy For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-26-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Well, its about a month now, and things have worked out just fine. Frosty has REALLY settled down, but has not been out of the house yet. He cried the first week constantly, wanting out, but we were persistent!! Now, when we open the door for Snuggles, our other MC, he seems to have no desire to scurry toward the open door. We have talked about making Frosty an indoor cat, but that wouldnt be fair to him, since the other 2 come and go as they please. So, the unveiling is soon...to the outside. All shots are complete, and he is as good as new. Hope he comes home. Wish us luck.
Unread 03-27-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobingi View Post
Well, its about a month now, and things have worked out just fine. Frosty has REALLY settled down, but has not been out of the house yet. He cried the first week constantly, wanting out, but we were persistent!! Now, when we open the door for Snuggles, our other MC, he seems to have no desire to scurry toward the open door. We have talked about making Frosty an indoor cat, but that wouldnt be fair to him, since the other 2 come and go as they please. So, the unveiling is soon...to the outside. All shots are complete, and he is as good as new. Hope he comes home. Wish us luck.
Well, we let him out, and he just came back. I was so nervous and fearful he wouldnt that I was doing "busy work" just to keep my mind of it. He did travel completely "out of sight" and have no idea where he went. My other 2 cats always stay close outside. He was gone about 2 hours. The longest 2 hours I've ever spent.
By the way, he has what I call a "chirp" almost trying to talk to me as best he can. It's kind of a "gutteral stutter". Cute as heck. Anybody elses MC's have that?
Unread 03-31-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Ha ha I know what you mean about wondering where they go! My two are outdoor cats by day and they don't seem to go far but I would always prefer for them to be in my eyeline.

I'm glad everything is going well. Maine Coons do seem to have very quiet voices and do chirp rather than meow. My Sasha very rarely meows, mostly a squeak or a trill really

Unread 04-01-2010   #8 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

That's my favorite Maine Coon trait (along with their normally much larger size and long fur) - The chirp or squeak is adorable. Good to see he came back!

Tags
adorable , adult , art , cat , cats , crying , cute , fur , hey , home , homeless , house , indoor , kittens , lost , love , maine coon , male , meow , nervous , neuter , night , nose , outdoor , rescue , save , tabby , travel , vet

Sponsored Cat Links