It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-21-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

rychu is on a distinguished road
Default My constantly worried cat.

Hi Im new here so i will use this chance to say hi to everyone your forum helped me and my cat Puzon a lot already but this is actually the first time i'm about to post a question and i'm really hoping you guys can help me.

In december 2009 i took a cat from a cat shelter. Hes a male and he is 8 years old (Indoor cat.) In general he is a very quiet cat. No problems like scratching stuff, jumping around. He keeps very much to himself. He loves being combed and scratched but only if you call him. He is quite shy but very curious and not worried about big numbers of people (a small house party for example)

It's been been almost 5 months now as Puzon lives with us but he still wont trust us 100% I always accepted that it will take time for the cat to feel at home specially a senior one but he keeps on running away from me if i move to quick or if a phone calls and by running away i mean EVACUATION! He runs for his live. If i call him he will come round and let me scratch him for hours but if i move my hand to quick he runs! There is no way i could for example pick him up from the floor. If i reach for him he'll hiss and get angry sometimes but mostly will just run away the second he sees me reaching..
If Im watching tv he will come lay next to me, and poke me with his head and nose wants me to give him a scratch but if i turn or pick up a mug of tea from the table he will run away. (and then come back)
He also seems to treat my hand and me as a separate objects. Im not really sure how to explain that but he constantly follows my hands rather than just paying attention to me as a person (?#^&%$) sorry not to sure how to put it. The "hand" thing is not really as much as a problem but him still being so afraid of me when i get up from a sofa or drop something seems strange to me.
To summarize this thread somehow id like to say that I find it strange that after 5 months of Puzon living with me he still is scared but on the other hand he loves to be combed and scratched and is not afraid of a croud and seems comfortable. Is there something i could do to make my cat feel comfortable and confident? I dont wont him to be afraid of me. I honestly would rather him not to come around if he's to run away again and get stressed out.
And why is the sudden movement so stressful for him
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by rychu; 03-21-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: additional thought + spelling :)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-21-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
hallan is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering if something that happened to him in the past is making him afraid of sudden movement. Did the shelter tell you any history of how he came to be there?
I wouldn't worry too much, it sounds as if he has settled in with you really well, he sounds like he's really happy and enjoys your love and attention. I think something may have scared him badly in his past and it might take a while before he's fully relaxed.
Some cats can be quite skittish though, my two run for cover at full speed everytime someone knocks on the door!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-21-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

rychu is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately the shelter did not provide me with to much detail. I will try to send an email to the shelter and see if they know more.
Thanks for that.
Unread 03-22-2010   #4 (permalink)
che
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Fine
che is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome to you and Puzon,
My Dylan can be really skittish, any sudden movement and she looks so startled and petrified. And if there is any rustling noise like a carrier bag she scarpers.
Have you tried some Bach's Rescue Remedy, or a feliway plug in? One of our other members swears by them. xxxxx
Unread 03-22-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

Hello you and Puzon. My Zipper is very skittish as well although not with DH and myself. She doesn't like plastic bags and will run when she sees them. My sister accidently frightened her when she was young. We were having a BBQ at my house and the women were all in the kitchen. My sister was cutting something up at the sink and Zipper jumped up on the counter and my sister screeched and Zipper went and hid for hours. She's been like this ever since. I would try the Bach's Rescue Remedy. I give it to the kittens and Zipper before we go to the Vets and it calms them down. It really sounds like he had some bad experiences. Just be patient and consistant with all you do. I know what you mean about the hand thing. All three of my cats watch my feet like they are separate from me. Its most noticable in the morning when they want to know if meowmy is going downstairs for breakfast or going back to bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!

Tags
angry , cat , cats , cut , happy , hey , home , house , jumping , kittens , love , male , morning , person , problems , question , rescue , scared , scratching , senior , shelter , small , worry

Sponsored Cat Links