It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-23-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Inspired
HoltWebb is on a distinguished road
Default Cat on a leash

I travel the country full-time in a motorhome and take my cats outside periodically on a leash/harness for some fresh air and exercise. They've both gotten accustomed to the leash, but both have figured out how to squirm out of the harness!

The harness has both a chest and neck loop with breakaway clasp, and fits snugly on each cat without choking or constraining them. But, no matter how well it fits or how tight it is, they know how to escape. The dirty little buggers just wrap part of the leash around a fixed object and then "back out" of the harness. That's right, they manage to apply enough tension on it to squirm out in reverse!

Anyone have any better suggestions? I can't let them run loose because I'm in a different location every couple of weeks (ranging from high auto traffic in town to high predator traffic in the wilderness).
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 03-23-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

kathie is on a distinguished road

You need to leash train your cats. And that requires lots of patience. Try a harness, and leave it on so they can get used to it.Then clip on the leash. Your cats will get bored of playing with it eventually. It just takes time and patience.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 03-24-2010   #3 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Busy
mj29 is on a distinguished road

I totally agree with Kathis.........cats are so smart aren't they. Once they get used to having something on them then they'll decide Why bother? Our siamese Mr. Sim loved his harness and leash. We lived in an apartment at the time and would go for a walk to the park down the street. Of course we'd get stared at but heh he was safe. we taught Lucky as well and would go to the same park. DH would have Sim and I would have Lucky and we would go in the summer to listen to the music in the park. Sim would sit on DHs lap and Lucky would crawl into my sweater sleeve. He was a bit of a suck. Just be patient as I'm sure you've been. I like a harness better then a collar. We tryed a collar on Jasmine when she was a kitten and she got her bottom jaw caught under it when she was trying to get it off. Thank goodness we were home at the time. No more collars in my house.

M.J. Zipper Darby and Liam
A Cat's eyes are windows enabling us to see into another world. Irish legend

A cat has absolute emotional honesty. Human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. Ernest Hemingway

There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast.

R.I.P. sisters Sasha and Jasmine, Lucky, Mr.Sim, my sweet boy Oscar!
Unread 07-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I walk my cats on a leash and they used to back out of their harness too. I started keepeing just the harness on them with no leash for about a week. They got used to having it on and then I put the leash on. Well, that did not work because they still backed out of the harness when the leash was on them. I found a really great harness called "kitty Holster" online at Crazy K Farm and it looks more like a jacket you put on small dogs when walking them in the cold weather, and the cats cant back out of it. Now I am able to put their regular harnesses on them and keep them on and put a leash on them without them backing out of it. I get stared at too but like someone ellse said--at least they're safe. Two children were staring at me one day and they ran into their house and I heard them saying "Hey Mom, theere''''s a lady outside walking her CATS on a LEASH!!!!"

Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
age , apartment , cat , cats , children , clip , cold , collar , crazy , dogs , fixed , found , great , hey , home , house , kitten , kitty , lucky , mat , playing , siamese , small , smart , suggestions , travel

Sponsored Cat Links