It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Ambhyr is on a distinguished road
Default 3yrs. old turtle shell urinating... well everywhere

Hello. I have two turtle shell cats, ages 5 and 3. We`ve been having problems with the 3 yrs. old, it`s a female, she has been spayed. We`ve had her for a yr. now and every couple of months, she just starts urinating on our things.When it first started , it was only my things, and just as of the last month, she`s started urinating on my husband`s shoes. She`s urinated on a binder, brand new pair of boots, anything new thats made of plastic, and lately she`s been urinating daily on our shoes. We`ve cleaned the area, made sure the litter box is clean, tried to block off the area (which works until she finds somewhere new to urinate) and nothing seems to be working.She uses the litter box during the day and it`s only at night when we`re asleep that she urinates on other things, so we have yet to catch her in the act. I really don`t want to get rid of her, so I`m just wondering if there is anything else we can try to stop this behaviour? Thank you very much and help is greatly appriciated.
Ambhyr
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

Some possible quick solutions:

1. Buy a second litter box. General rule is one litter box per cat +1 (e.g. three litter boxes for two cats, but that seems excessive to me). Thing is, cats can get territorial, and someone could decide s/he "owns" a certain litter box, even at certain times of the day.

2. Lock kitty up at night in a small room with the litter box. You don't say if she has free reign of the house. Why is she only peeing at night? It feels like an anxiety thing to me. Do you lock her out of the bedroom at night? Perhaps that's upsetting her. Do you move furniture around a lot? Anything new in her environment? New sofa, new pet, new house mate, new baby, new plant? lol So many things can set them off. But if you can't figure out what it is, making her spend the night in a small (but comfy) place like the bathroom or laundry room will keep her from peeing around the house at night. Put her kitty buddy in there with her.

3. You can also buy special sprays and scents that mimic a cat's scenting/marking. These calm cats and have been known to prevent cats from peeing in unwanted places.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 11-08-2012   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

sever is on a distinguished road

I agree with Artemis Moonsong. A cat urinating outside the litter box wants to let you know that something is wrong.

Cats need their own litter box. Also, any change in the environment can have an effect. Finally, privacy is very important. Your cat needs to feel safe while going to the toilet.

Tags
anxiety , baby , behaviour , box , calm , cat , cat's , cats , dry , environment , female , free , fur , furniture , house , kitty , litter , litter box , litter boxes , night , peeing , pet , problems , shoes , small , spayed , stop , territorial , upset

Sponsored Cat Links