It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

irishcatlover is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Hissing and spitting at each other!

Hi!
I have three cats, all of which are female. Our oldest Beau is almost 4, Amber and Black are a year old.
Up to this, all three cats have got on fine together, and barring a few small squabbles, they have not had any problems living together.
Earlier this week, Amber who is a year old went missing for a day and a night, and returned the next day.
Ever since, Black and Beau have been hissing, spitting, and attacking her quite viciously, and my wife and I are at our wits end as to what to do, as we have had to watch them 24/7 to make sure they do not get away with this naughty behaviour.
We don't think that Amber was in anyone else's house during her disappearance, but have noticed that both Black and Beau have been sniffing Amber since she came back.
Can anyone PLEASE help us to restore harmony amongst our cats? Is this normal behaviour, or are the other two just trying to assert their dominance?
All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Martin. (irishcatlover)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 04-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Angelic
Artemis Moonsong is on a distinguished road

I have heard that cats will get very upset when a kitty family member returns home smelling "funny." This usually happens after one cat has been boarded or been taken to the vet; the strange smells assault the other cat's nose and she can barely recognize her housemate.

I'm guessing all three of your cats regularly go outside? My suggestion would be to a] keep everyone indoors for awhile, and b] separate Amber from Beau and Black for a day or two, so that she can soak up the house smell again, so to speak.

Since they keep hissing and spitting at her, she may be going to the same place each day ... whatever that place is, it's obviously insulting her house mate's sensitive noses lol Perhaps she's been playing around/fighting with another "foreign" cat?

My cats will sniff one another when one comes home from the vet, but nothing worse. Both my cats get on pretty well, though. They're not bosom buddies (they squabble), but never fight. So most of what I'm saying is based on stuff I've read
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "The Nefrinator"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , attacking , behaviour , black , cat's , cats , dominance , family , female , fighting , fun , funny , hey , hissing , home , house , kitty , missing , night , nose , playing , problems , small , upset , vet

Sponsored Cat Links