It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-22-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

montarrcat is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Why does my cat keep attacking me???

I've got a 1 yr old Russian Blue X catten (not really a kitten but not quite a cat yet). Ive always had cats but never one this psychotic. Ever since we've had her she's been very attached to me but can get a bit violent. In the beginning she would sit on my lap and lick whatever she could then bite me. I understand this is her "kiss". Over the last few months, I have been home on maternity leave and she has taken to following me around the house. At least one a day however, she will full on attack me. My arm is currently a criss cross of scratches and bite marks. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the attacks as I'll be sitting there or going about my day when she does it.

I've tried a loud sharp no, the water bottle (which I discovered she thinks is a reward as also very fond of water), ignoring and removing myself from her and of late, a gentle smack (I know but at wits end with it). All of these tactics just result in her attacking again until I physically remove myself where she can't get me. She only does this to me and doesn't attack anyone else. I'm really worried about it as my daughter is due in a month and would like to have some help to decide if she'll be able to stay and not a risk to baby or if she'll be moving to my aunts.

Sorry for the massive entry but at wits end with this animal
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 06-22-2010   #2 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
pinkcar36 is on a distinguished road

i think she might know what is going on and might be a little jealous. that something is about to change. she might notice a change in your breathing,walking.etc. have you been giving her anyspecial attention? letting her know what is going to happen? show her the baby room let her explore in there so she wont be so afraid let her smell the baby loation and stuff like that so she will know that she is still special.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to pinkcar36 For This Useful Post:
Unread 06-22-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

montarrcat is on a distinguished road

i thought it could be a jealously thing. i've tried introducing her to the room and all the new smells and objects. she's decided the toys in there are hers and keeps trying to take down the stickers off the wall so she only allowed in there for small amounts of time. i got pregnant not long after getting her... do you think maybe the she picked up on me changing pretty much since day one?
Unread 06-23-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Happy
pinkcar36 is on a distinguished road

that could be. and cats think everything is theirs! dont know if you seen the pictures of my cats that i posted1 but boy-boy ( actually my daughters cat ) loved to sleep in the baby carrier.i also have one where our other cat baby girl is sleeping in it too!
Unread 08-18-2010   #5 (permalink)
Newborn

Lee W. is on a distinguished road

The cat may possibly have had some bad experiences before you got it. I took in a stray cat once that would just suddenly bite me. Not playing either. I'd walk near it and it would suddenly bite me. I've always had cats and am kind and gentle and usually can turn a cat around as far as getting it to trust me. But I'm convinced that that one had been abused. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this one to stop biting, so we took it to the Humane Society shelter. I felt pretty bad about it...would have liked to have kept it.
Unread 08-18-2010   #6 (permalink)
Cool Cat

My Mood: Relaxed
Val_Kitten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Val_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Val_Kitten Send a message via twitter to Val_Kitten

So has showing him the baby's room and toys helped any? Any time my cats are misbehaving, I give them a sharp hiss. But if your cat was maybe abused like Lee said, you may wanna try a less harsh approach. Maybe whimper instead? You've gotta learn cat talk lol I hope it gets better and that you, your daughter and your cat can live in harmony.
Unread 09-19-2010   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

My Mood: Stressed
Nymarie is on a distinguished road

I was given two suggestions when I was raising my feral kitten. One was to gently bite the kitten back if I could do it without getting scratched. (Apparently this is what her siblings would do.) The other was to let her know that she was hurting me. I tried the second suggestion. It worked for me. My kitten grew up by herself without a mother and kittens to teach her when she was being too rough. She just had me. She was VERY rough with me the first few months. I would cry out when she bit or scratched me and she'd look at me with her big yellow eyes. I think she knew it hurt and after a while she stopped playing so rough.

If your new cat was a stray, she could have just never been taught. Usually cats learn from their mothers and siblings. If she is allowed to bite you, then she won't understand that she's hurting you. If she's not playing, then I'm not sure what else you could do.

Tags
animal , attack , attacking , baby , bite , biting , boy , breathing , cat , cats , eyes , feral , girl , hiss , home , house , kitten , kittens , new cat , pictures , playing , pregnant , shelter , siblings , sleep , sleeping , small , smell , stop , stray , suggestions , toys , water

Sponsored Cat Links