It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-27-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

charrup is on a distinguished road
Default Cat defecating

My first and eldest cat has become unbearable. Over the years there has been the odd incident but would soon pass... he used to pick one couch in the lounge to wee on for example.

The problem now is that he is defecating on anything that is a cloth. He has pooed and peed on my bed, in my little girls cot, on towels in the bathroom, on clothing left around, pillows, cushions, picnic blankets... you name it! He's always been a very independent cat and would always find a way out and if he couldn't, he never made an accident.

I say independent but he's also VERY unsocial and doesn't like anybody but myself and possible one or 2 of my female family members. He hisses at people and my kids... he used to just live upstairs then go out a bit and hide back upstairs. He hates my other 2 cats from day one and any dogs that were in the house over the years.

I've now locked all cats out from upstairs which has forced the problem cat outdoors! And even sometimes when he's inside, he'll defecate on any cloth item left downstairs like washing etc. rather than use the window to go out.

He is about 11 years old so I'm not sure if this is medical or he's just so afraid of moving about my house that he ends up having to go on something nearby. It's not fair on my other cats as they have lost some of their comfort/freedom and I don't like litter boxes... I'd have 3 cats using it/them which I could never handle.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 07-27-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Whether you like litter boxes or not, if you have cats, you should have litter boxes, as cats need a bathroom.

When a cat ages he develops special needs. Almost always, litter box avoidance is a medical issue. Arthritis can cause constipation which will cause him to try different places to poop, because it hurts him. Kidney disease can cause constipation, again, it hurts him to poop so he tries different places.

Both of these health problems are not treatable, but they are curable.

You'll notice he chooses soft places to poop. Something is wrong.

Please take your senior cat to the vet for a check up, and give him a litter box he can get to easily so he can go to the bathroom properly.

Senior cats require a lot of gentle handling, understanding, care and love.

Last edited by acerlt; 07-27-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 07-27-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for your feedback. I'll get him to a vet for a check up for sure but just on your litter box comment -- I think having a box in the house with urine and poo in is just plain disgusting and with 3 cats using it, I'd be cleaning it out daily. Also being in beautiful, sunny South Africa, it's not considered the 'norm' here to have litter boxes. My cats have always managed just fine to go out a window and do their thing in the garden which is 3500 square metres big so plenty of sand and space for poops and pee.
Unread 07-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Litter boxes should be cleaned daily anyway... Just sayin. Here's an idea.. I noticed in your first post that you were keeping the other cats downstairs, giving him the run of upstairs.. Try leaving a litter box with him up there, that way none of the other cats can use it. Isn't it at least worth a shot to keep him from going on everything else? I mean, here's how I'm seeing this.. You're choosing having cat poop and pee all over your furniture, clothes, etc over cleaning a small box every day. Sorry, this image just doesn't click in my mind
Unread 07-27-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charrup View Post
Thank you for your feedback. I'll get him to a vet for a check up for sure but just on your litter box comment -- I think having a box in the house with urine and poo in is just plain disgusting and with 3 cats using it, I'd be cleaning it out daily. Also being in beautiful, sunny South Africa, it's not considered the 'norm' here to have litter boxes. My cats have always managed just fine to go out a window and do their thing in the garden which is 3500 square metres big so plenty of sand and space for poops and pee.
That may be, but you now have a senior cat and his needs are changing. As cats get older, just like people, they can no longer do things they once could.

It may be a hardship for your boy to jump up to the window and jump out it and jump back in. Please do think about this, and what else he will need as time goes on.

Older cats have special needs and your boy will require adjustment from you to care for him in his senior life. And one of the things that will mean is giving him a safe clean easy to access place to go to the bathroom.

Of course you have to clean it every day. I have three cats and four litter boxes and scoop out the boxes four times a day.

Before my last little old lady left me she got too old and arthritic to make it down the stairs to the litter boxes. I put one in my bathroom for her. I hated having a litter box in my bathroom, but that was beside the point, my Ootay Princess deserved the best care I could give her for so many years of love and joy.

Incidentally the other, younger, cats never used that litter box, they continued to go down to the boxes they'd always used. They knew it was just for her.

It doesn't matter where you live. What's important is you have a senior cat who, in addition to a senior check up at the vet, now needs special accommodations. That's all there is about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49BWL View Post
Litter boxes should be cleaned daily anyway... Just sayin. Here's an idea.. I noticed in your first post that you were keeping the other cats downstairs, giving him the run of upstairs.. Try leaving a litter box with him up there, that way none of the other cats can use it. Isn't it at least worth a shot to keep him from going on everything else? I mean, here's how I'm seeing this.. You're choosing having cat poop and pee all over your furniture, clothes, etc over cleaning a small box every day. Sorry, this image just doesn't click in my mind
Excellent point!

Last edited by acerlt; 07-27-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Unread 07-28-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

hahaha... okay thanks ladies Yes had given the litter box lots of thought and yes, an idea was to keep him upstairs with this in mind but he also loves the outdoors and freedom....

My other cat had an injury a few months ago and couldn't jump... we guess the dog (he isn't afraid of the dog and the dog likes to have a game with him) may have hurt his back during a game... anyway, my poor cat could barely walk and the vet did x-rays etc and couldn't see anything wrong so we just had to dose him with pain med and keep him separate in a closed room which we did and of course needed a litter box... oh it killed me but I did it as there was no way for him to jump!! So ya, I will do it if thats what is needed.

We are also moving to a new house soon which doesn't have an upstairs area or any area I could cordon off for the senior so I will have to see what will work in the new house too.

As for his jumping ability... he's still brilliant. I will get him to a vet asap and let you guys know what their feedback is.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 11-08-2012   #7 (permalink)
Newborn

sever is on a distinguished road

Your cat is obviously trying to catch your attention. I'd bring him to the vet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
addition , art , beautiful , boy , care , cat , cats , cleaning , constipation , defecate , dogs , family , feedback , female , furniture , game , hey , house , hurt , image , litter , litter box , litter boxes , lost , mat , medical , moving , pee , poo , poop , problem , problems , senior , senior cat , small , social , urine , vet , window

Sponsored Cat Links