It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-02-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

rlp121 is on a distinguished road
Default behavior change?

over the last month, i was away every weekend and then gone the entire last week...during that time, whenever i was home, my male cat (the uber affectionate one) was a lot more vocal with a lot of plaintive meowing. then, at nite, when i'd turn out the light, he wouldn't leave me alone - meowing nonstop and nudging me. then tonite, he was kneading me and purring, and then lied down on my stomach while i pet him...however, after a while he began meowing loudly again and it was as if he was going to bite me...any insight as to why the change in behavior other than him being upset with my absence? and what is the biting about?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-02-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

He is lonely and needs your attention. When you are home please make a special effort to spend a large chunk of time paying attention to only him (and any other cats you may have). Cats are social creatures and do not do well when left too much on their own.

How often does a pet sitter come in? Does the pet sitter spend any time with him at all?

Install some feliway plug in diffusers to help reduce stress, and keep a sharp eye on his litter box habits as stress like this can cause illnesses such as Urinary tract problems, which in a male can become serious or fatal very quickly.

I hope you are going to be home more now. It is not fair to your kitty to leave him alone so much.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-02-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

rlp121 is on a distinguished road

the pet sitter comes every day and feeds/plays with them for a 1/2 hour. they really like her, as do i, and i have felt comfortable with her there. part of why i got the house is bc i feel bad that they're cooped up in the city...when we first moved here, they adjusted very quickly, so i'm hoping they'll adjust to the house, especially when it becomes a regular trip. the house is up in columbia county, in germantown.
Unread 08-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

jadeparis6 is on a distinguished road

Your cat needs more attention from you, cats can get very weird like that when their owner is not home alot. But most cats can feel very in control and feel like their owner doesn't love them as much. So I think that when he acts like he is going to bite you you got to make sure you scold him so he knows it is wrong, and when he is being nice just give him all the attention he needs. That should bring his behavior back to normal. Thats what I do with my cats, so it just might help with yours.
Unread 08-04-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeparis6 View Post
Your cat needs more attention from you, cats can get very weird like that when their owner is not home alot. But most cats can feel very in control and feel like their owner doesn't love them as much. So I think that when he acts like he is going to bite you you got to make sure you scold him so he knows it is wrong, and when he is being nice just give him all the attention he needs. That should bring his behavior back to normal. Thats what I do with my cats, so it just might help with yours.
I disagree with you. Cats do not respond well to "scolding" and discipline.

In this particular situation, what the cat is doing is NOT "wrong".

The cat is communicating to his person that he is unhappy. Something in his world is not right, and he is trying to tell his person that. Scolding isn't going to do anything but confuse the kitty and perhaps teach him to hide away and be afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlp121 View Post
the pet sitter comes every day and feeds/plays with them for a 1/2 hour. they really like her, as do i, and i have felt comfortable with her there. part of why i got the house is bc i feel bad that they're cooped up in the city...when we first moved here, they adjusted very quickly, so i'm hoping they'll adjust to the house, especially when it becomes a regular trip. the house is up in columbia county, in germantown.
That's great that you have a pet sitter you trust and the cats love. I think, if they are good travelers, taking them with you when you go to the other house is a good idea. They need to be with you.

Don't forget the feliway!
Unread 08-06-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

jadeparis6 is on a distinguished road

Well my cats sure dont get confused to scolding. Im not sure about your cats but mine DO respond well to scolding, but if the cat was trying to bite then that is wrong.
Unread 08-06-2010   #7 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeparis6 View Post
Well my cats sure dont get confused to scolding. Im not sure about your cats but mine DO respond well to scolding, but if the cat was trying to bite then that is wrong.
It is the human's responsibility to figure out WHY the cat is biting. A cat that is not prone to biting, suddenly starts biting, means the cat is trying to tell his human something is wrong. You don't "scold" someone for communicating with you.

The OP recognized this, that the cat was having a problem and wanted to know if possibly his frequent times away from home could be causing it.

Scolding a cat who is trying to tell you something is only going to confuse him and cause him to fear you, and possibly make him bite more. There was no need for scolding, in this situation.

A cat who has not been properly socialized and who bites is a different situation, however I still would not "scold". I have trained many biters to not bite, and I have never trained them with punishment or yelling at them. There are better ways to teach and train.

Last edited by acerlt; 08-06-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Unread 08-09-2010   #8 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I agree completely with Acerlt. The poor kitty misses its human companion terribly and is upset and probably worried. Like Acerlt said, Kitty is trying to tell him something and you don't scold a cat for trying to tell you something. The cat is usually extremely affectionate and not a biter. He needs to feel more secure with his human and scolding him certainly won't make him feel any more secure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty

Tags
affectionate , behavior , bite , bites , biting , box , cat , cat needs , cats , color , eye , hey , home , house , kitty , litter , litter box , love , male , meowing , nice , pet , problem , problems , social , stop , stress , upset , vocal , weird

Sponsored Cat Links