It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-27-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

jordi is on a distinguished road
Question How to adapt a 15 year old cat to a new cat

Hi,

I have an old cat that is called Lilit, which is female and will be 15 years soon. She was ill for near 2 years and after changing of veterinary 6 times and spending 2500 euros on her health finally an excellent vet I found saved her.

Now she is in good health, but she is like bored most of the time, only wanting to sleep, and receive affection.

I recently found a cat that I feed, that lives in the streets but is very friendly and you can take him in your arms and has no fear. He looks like a fantastic cat, and I wonder if I can take him to my home with Lilit.

Lilit is my old cat, as I said soon she will be 15 years old. She is a tortoise cat, of small size, short legs. She is a female. She is a very well behaved cat but tends to be frightened easily. She is neutered.

This cat is 6 or 7 months old, an european cat, white with the head and the back with gray strips. He is more big, male, and has no fear of humans. He is not aggressive. He is not neutered but if I keep him I will neuter him.

I also have 2 cockatiels, that go out of the cage and are with us, and an aquarium.

Please tell me some advice... to decide if I should try to take this male cat home with my female 15 year old cat... also to know how to introduce him to her the best way so they may be friends soon.

I can't make a safe room for him, because of the way my home is configured and the other animals (can't isolate a room for the new cat).

I am afraid for my cockatiels and for my old cat, but that male cat looks so friendly and we established a good relationship and he may be safe here.

Please advice!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 08-29-2010   #2 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Hi and welcome. First of all, thank you for being so persistent until you found a great vet. You and Lilit are lucky to have found each other, and the young cat is lucky to have found you because I know you are very caring and are concerned about your animals well-being. I was all set to explain the procedure of introducing your old cat to the new cat using a safe room--but then read that the way your house is configured, you are unable to do it. That complicates things. By the way, I am really glad your cat is spayed and your new cat, if you keep him will be neutered. Is there any particular room or rooms your cat prefers? Are there any rooms your cat kind of stays away from? Does your house have a basement or garage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 08-30-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

Thanks AuntKitty.

I live in Spain, Europe. Here most of us live in flats that can be considered big when they are 100 square meters, and most flats in the beach like mine don't have a corridor even, all rooms are communicated, nor have a basement, garage,etc.

Those people that have a garage most of the time it is not communicated with the house.

My old cat uses to be in the same places at the same times. I have think that maybe it's good at the beginning to place a litter tray at a distance of hers in the balcony at the beginning, and see if with time we may remove it. I will also place the food cans at a distance in the balcony.

I also will try to keep some places just for her until they come up, like over the bed or the sofa, where she stays with us at certain times.

I will watch how they behave when they meet. I think I can't do anything more. I doubt the male cat will attack her because I will cut his nails before and she is a female. Maybe she hits him, but she is much small.
Unread 08-30-2010   #4 (permalink)
Top Cat

I understand because my house is the same. No corridors--just rooms that connect with each other, and my last apartment (we call them apartments--you call them flats) was the same way. Can the new cat stay on the balcony safely? Is it high where the cat could jump off and get hurt? Can the cats sniff each other through the door to get used to each other's scent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unread 08-30-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Don't take the stray inside to be introduced to your senior kitty until he has been to the vet, vaccinated and tested for disease.

I'm so glad you have taken an interest in this innocent soul. Keep us posted.
Unread 09-01-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

Thumbs up

Hi!

The cat is in our home now since this morning at 10:00 AM and now is 21:00 PM here.

I talked with my vet, and he said me that it was the best medicine I could get for my old female cat Lilit. Lilit had become neurotic because of the bad treatment that previous vets took on her, and she had a very hard life before being with us (she came from an animal shelter and had bites of rats in her back, and she was only a cub, she even has no skin in her neck because maybe she never had a mother). This has make her become neurotic, obsesses easily and fearful.

My vet said that most of her problems (occasional vomits, coughs) can be of idiopatic/ psychological source. He said that the new cat may help her to be less self-centered, and provide her calm and something to do.

He said me that as my cat was already vaccinated all along her life, we may re-vaccinate her and strengthen her health this way against possible infections. He put her a 5 in 1 vaccine.

So we waited some days as said by the doctor and took the cat home.

I was very worried because some sons of bitch were menacing the cat in the last days so I wanted to hurry, before they killed him or make something.

Some days before I took a cloth and some fur from each of the cats and let the other smell it.

I put both cats anti-parasites and anti-fleas.

And now comes the great part...

The cat let me cut his nails without problems. He is a really calm and good cat, very smart and good "person". We have called him Teddy, because it means, like Theodore, "gift from God", and also because he's like a teddy bear, loves to be hugged and taken in your arms.

When the cat arrived, it seems the trick worked because Teddy and Lilit smelled each other, and there were no problems.

Now Lilit is constantly watching and searching for the cat, and Teddy also, and although Lilit doesn't let him touch her yet, she lets him be near.

They sometimes talk, LOL. Teddy talks a lot, and Lilit answers. This happened since the beginning, LOL!

Lilit even went asleep and when she awake, Teddy was silent, and she went outside the room looking for him, and when she saw he was there we could see a more calm face. Seems she misses him and is all time watching what he does. Teddy also tries to approach as much as she lets him.

And some transformation has started because Lilit, before Teddy's arrival, was constantly frightened and hidden, and now she is active, happy and curious.

We will analyze Teddy's blood next monday, and after that we will sterilize and vaccinate him.
The Following User Says Thank You to jordi For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-01-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

What a great outcome for you and both of your cats. You are a very caring individual. I am so glad it worked out. Will they both be indoor cats? You said someone wa menacing the new cat--what happened?

Unread 09-02-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

Some boys were trying to kick the cats in the streets. Cats are not respected here because few people have them as pets, compared to dogs.

Yes they will be indoor, I think it's the best. Maybe sometimes when Lilit is in better health we take them out with us to the country or beach.

This evening we are taking the new cat to the vet so he can make the health tests and tell us when he will be vaccinated and sterilized.
Unread 09-03-2010   #9 (permalink)
Kitten

Smile

Teddy is ok and has no illness, and now is sterilized, very happy and our cat Lilit too!
Unread 09-03-2010   #10 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

Yaay! Good news!

Tags
advice , aggressive , animal , apartment , apartments , aquarium , attack , bites , cat , cats , cut , dogs , female , food , found , friendly , friends , gift , great , health , hey , home , house , hurt , kitty , litter , lucky , male , nails , new cat , problems , senior , shelter , sleep , small , smart , spayed , stray , vaccine , vet

Sponsored Cat Links