It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-10-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

jennaveeve is on a distinguished road
Default changed towards family

Hi there,

Our cat has been in an animal hotel whilst we were on holiday. I quote the term 'hotel' because he had the comfort and joy of a couch, central heating and an outdoor balcony. he was very well treated there, ate well and looked very healthy and happy when we collected him.

Our cat is 10 years old and is extremely loveable and friendly, even to strangers. We are a family of 5 and he is treated like a king. He absolutely adores the kids and they adore him; he even scratches like mad on their bedroom door, to get in to sleep. However, we picked him up from the cattery 2 weeks ago and he was so pleased to see us all. There didn't appear to be any change in him at all. However, we have noticed that he no longer appears to want anything to do with our 14 year old son who he had a fantastic relationship with prior to the holiday. He no longer wishes to go near him. We used to laugh because when the kids went out to play, the cat used to go out with them and sit on the wall, watching them play, following them round like a lost sheep etc. This seems to have stopped now and its as though he has got a sulk on with my son?? Has anybody else experienced this? The cat now snubs the child he was once closest to?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 09-10-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome!

How long have you been back? Some cats do "sulk" by distancing themselves from their human they are closest to, after an absence, but it usually doesn't go on more than a couple of days.

Has there been any change in your son? 14 is a hormonal age. Has his voice changed? Facial hair starting to grow? Has your son started using aftershave or a different kind of deodorant? Does he have a girl friend who wears perfume?

A cat's highest functioning scent is smell, and if your son smells different, that may cause your kitty to be stepping back in confusion.

Any change in behavior can indicate a health problem though, and I recommend you take your senior cat to the vet for a complete check up including blood work, and specify you want thyroid (t-4 specifically) checked, too, not every vet does it routinely.

Please keep us posted on this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 09-18-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

emwilson19 is on a distinguished road

Yes .. I have. My cat greets me very happily at the door when I return from being out of town,howeve moments later he totally ignores me ... he can be upser for up to 2 weeks...
but he does get over it
hang in there

Last edited by AK49BWL; 09-18-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Tags
age , animal , behavior , cat , cat's , cats , changed , family , friendly , girl , happy , health , healthy , hey , holiday , joy , kitty , lost , moments , outdoor , play , problem , senior , senior cat , sleep , smell , vet

Sponsored Cat Links