It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-01-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Jenpie is on a distinguished road
Default Cat Drama

We just picked up our kitten Toby yesterday from the vet...he had to have a cryptorchid neuter, so he has 4 incisions and is not 100% yet obviously.

Our other cat Max has been really cranky since we brought him home. They are normally best buds but Max has been hissing and growling whenever he gets close to Toby or if I pet him right after. I know Toby smells funny after being at the vet but I would think after a couple hours Max would be fine with that. This afternoon and tonight they get close and Max is fine until he smells Toby's back end (little nasties!) then he will growl or hiss.

We know Max is an alpha cat and Toby is just so laid back and easy going that he hasn't hissed back once or anything. i just feel bad for the little guy because he just had major surgery and I wish Max would give him a break!

Any thoughts or ideas about this? I'm hopeful it will continue getting better as it has since we brought him home but It's taken 36 hours to even get to where they can be a few feet from each other. I just hope they can be snuggle buddies again...Toby definitely wants to be by Max.

I think I attached a picture of them snuggled up...or at least I tried to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (95.4 KB, 3 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-01-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

That is such an adorable picture!!

It may take several days for Toby to get his "regular" scent back as far as Max is concerned.. There are a couple things you can try however. Something I grabbed from another thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerlt
use the 'vanilla trick' at first. Put a dot of cooking vanilla (not perfume) on the nose/chin and root of tail of each cat, so they both smell the same to one another
Also, Feliway plug-in diffusers are good for keeping them both calmer.
Unread 10-02-2010   #3 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

When I had Magic spayed and Midnight neutered, the vet said to keep them apart for at least a week due to Magic's stitches. Since they are brother and sister from the same litter, who always snuggled up together and played together, I thought they would run up to each other and be so happy----but after being apart for a week, they hissed, growled, arched their backs, and Magic's tail got really fluffy. I was SO SAD AND DISAPPOINTED!!! They were swatting at each other, too. But after a few hours, they slowly got used to each other all over again like they were never apart. Maybe some cats (or some different breeds of cats) take longer to reunite and trust each other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Unread 10-02-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Jenpie is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I tried the vanilla thing this morning but Max was still unhappy for a few hours. This afternoon though I had both cats on my lap...Toby kept moving a little bit closer and Max would his but he finally let Toby onto my lap and then he licked him! So that was good news until Toby bit Maxes neck...he does this all the time when they are playing but was not good for right now and Max ran off. After that though they were together again and everything seems much better so I'm happy about that.

I attached another picture of the fuzzy guys, this is from when Toby was about 10 weeks old and we had had him less then a week...he chomped on Max's neck...so funny because he's so tiny. Max just sat there and did nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1232.jpg (97.2 KB, 8 views)
Unread 10-02-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cool
AK49BWL is on a distinguished road

LOL! Max is sitting there like... "Wtf.. There's something wrong with this picture" Love his expression.
Unread 10-03-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road

They are sooo cute!!

sorry no advice here, just coudn't help myself, I love both pictures
Unread 10-05-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Really cute--are they Bengals?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 10-05-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

faybio is on a distinguished road

Great pictures.

I think you may just have to wait a bit longer for the cats to re-acclimate. It will happen, surely, as the foreign smell dissipates from Toby.
Unread 10-11-2010   #9 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Amused
supersmithy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenpie View Post
Thanks for the advice. I tried the vanilla thing this morning but Max was still unhappy for a few hours. This afternoon though I had both cats on my lap...Toby kept moving a little bit closer and Max would his but he finally let Toby onto my lap and then he licked him! So that was good news until Toby bit Maxes neck...he does this all the time when they are playing but was not good for right now and Max ran off. After that though they were together again and everything seems much better so I'm happy about that.

I attached another picture of the fuzzy guys, this is from when Toby was about 10 weeks old and we had had him less then a week...he chomped on Max's neck...so funny because he's so tiny. Max just sat there and did nothing.
That is the funniest pic I've seen for ages - Max's expression is priceless

RIP Ben, Tippy and Simba xxx

Tags
adorable , advice , breeds , brother and sister , calm , cat , cats , cute , fun , funny , growling , happy , hey , hissing , home , kitten , litter , love , moving , neuter , nose , pet , picture , pictures , playing , sad , smell , spayed , stitches , surgery , thoughts , vet

Sponsored Cat Links