It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-03-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

Felina is on a distinguished road
Question hygiene / grooming

I have noticed my kitten Pooky (who is about 8 weeks old) grooms himself but not often and when he does it is only his paws, privates and once in a while his face and that is it, I found him when he was 6 weeks old and no idea of how long he had been by himself.

Could it be he wasn't with other cats long enough? he has no examples around...

I used a baby wipe the other day to clean his bum because he just wouldn't seem to get around to do it, but I don't want him to get used to it, I don't really mind he doesn't groom his body, I pet him and I could start brushing him if needed, but I would like to encourage him to keep his bum clean! how can I do this?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-03-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

At that age their mamas are usually still grooming them, so they don't do much of it. When Queen Eva first came here, she was 8 weeks old and did not groom much either.

But now at 15 weeks she's shiny clean. Part of that is learning from the older cats, of course, which Pooky doens't have.

Continue to clean him, it won't make him lazy, it will teach him what to do.

Cats and kittens are the original copy cats. When you wipe him down with a damp paper towel do it in short strokes like a mother cat would lick him, and even lower your face and pretend it's you licking him, not the paper towel. (I guess you won't want to do that when cleaning his bottom though heehee)

You can also pretend to groom yourself a little bit. Wipe/pretend lick him a few strokes, then groom yourself a few strokes, then him then yourself and so on.

Key times to do this are, after a meal, or when you see him curling up for a nap.

As he gets older he will get the hang of it and start keeping himself clean. I love watching a cat have a bath. They look so happy and content as they lovingly stroke themselves with their tongue.

Especially Tolly. He's taken bathing to a high art form.

PS start handling Pooky's paws a lot now, too, so you can start trimming his claws soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-03-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

Thank you for the reply, I will "bath" him once a day

Trimming his claws? I did not know they needed to be trimmed, doesn't he needs them to climb?
Unread 10-03-2010   #4 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felina View Post
Thank you for the reply, I will "bath" him once a day

Trimming his claws? I did not know they needed to be trimmed, doesn't he needs them to climb?
Just the sharp tips, to prevent injury. Except, if you are planning on him going outside, his claws may not need to be trimmed at all, he'll wear them down himself on trees. Be sure to get him neutered before you do start letting him out.

Of course that will be some months down the road, he's just a baby now.

Isn't it fun having a baby? Queen Eva is getting to be such a big girl now, and as lovely as she is, I do miss her baby ways, even as I anticipate the nice cat she will be someday. She's 15 weeks now. The little black face and golden eyes in my avatar.
Unread 10-03-2010   #5 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

Please be careful if you trim your cats nails. Like Acerlt says, only the pointy part that curves. If you cut past there, you cut into the quick, and it will bleed and be very painful. You may want to have her nails trimmed professionally the first time and ask the groomer to show you how.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
The Following User Says Thank You to AuntKitty For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-04-2010   #6 (permalink)
Newborn

Oh, then it won't be needed, he will be mostly an outdoor cat, in fact he already spends half the day in the back yard, he can't go out and there is no other cats around that could sneak in so I know he is safe, I do plan to neuter him but that will be long before I let him go out to explore I think, I am not sure what age it would be safe for him to go out by himself
Unread 10-05-2010   #7 (permalink)
Top Cat

My Mood: Blah
AuntKitty is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's safe for a cat to go out roaming by themselves at any age. I know alot of people let their cats out saying that its natural for them to roam, but I've seen too many cats hit by cars and in fights with other animals who got the best of them. I walk my cats on a leash with a harness. My Magic is very good at walking on a leash--she walks alongside me like a dog would, but Midnight stops, lays down, then gets up and walks a little, then stops again, but I keep trying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother of Magic, Midnight, Topaz and Emerald
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a purring kitty
Unread 10-11-2010   #8 (permalink)
Kitten

faybio is on a distinguished road

For the most part, I agree w/AuntKitty regarding outdoor safety. I live in a populated city, and cars are plentiful. Coyotes are now also plentiful. The small risk of danger is one I'm not willing to take with Zeuss. He does get frequent trips outdoors, leashed.

HOWEVER, I have seen with my own eyes cats who go outdoors, roam freely, and safely return home every night and be friendly and loving. These are very happy cats. If an area is countryish, with limited automobiles, etc, then I guess I can see the point of view that it's ok.

Tags
age , art , baby , bath , black , bleed , cat , cats , claws , clean , cleaning , cut , eyes , fights , found , friendly , fun , girl , grooming , happy , hey , home , kitten , kittens , kitty , lazy , licking , love , nails , nice , pet , queen , small , tips , too many cats

Sponsored Cat Links