It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-09-2010   #1 (permalink)
Newborn

putri_deww is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cat only eat wet and expensive food

Hello. I have a cat named Sophie. I just adopted her about a month. Her previous owner said she is fussy in choosing her food. The kibbles I gave to my cats ( Sophie and another male cat ) is Royal Canin Fit 32. Sophie love to eat Whiskas Tuna. Besides tuna, I also gave her Whiskas Seafood Platter. The previous owner only gave her the wet food during weekend only. The rest of the week she gave Sophie kibbles. Sophie is a cat who only eat kibbles when she desperately need food. She's willing to starve as long as she can eat wet food. She started to love the Whiskas Seafood Plastter and top eating Whiskas Tuna.

The problems continues on. I tried to mix the wet food and kibbles together. At first the amount of kibbles were very small. Later on it keep on rising as the amount of wet food become lesser. There's a time where the wet food acts only as flavoring to the existed flavored kibbles. She stop eating the kibbles mix with wet food. Doesn't matter the kibbles only few inside the wet food, she keep on refusing. It become worse when I introduced to my cats a more expensive wet food which is Fancy Feast Royale. I thought maybe sometimes I can give something better than the one they always eat. After few times I give my cats the Fancy Feast Royale, Sophie stops eating Whiskas Seafood Platter. She crave for the Fancy Feast Royale. Like before, she'll starve until she gets what she wants.

Someone advised me before to change her kibbles to Innova Evo, he said the cats will love it because of it's flavour and all its content. I tried to give to her. Yes, refuse to eat the kibbles. Another person said maybe Sophie having a gum or teeth problem. I went to the vet, and it was negative. Sophie is really healthy.

Right now, it's not about the money I must spent to buy the wet food. But I do know that wet food is not good for cats in a long term time. I don't know what else to do with her. I also tried to not give her food for 12 hours and gave her the kibbles. To make her hungry and crave for anything edible. But she still insisting on eating the wet food. So she wait until I give her the wet food although I already put the kibbles beside her.

Very thoughtful if anyone can help me with this problem. Thank you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 10-09-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

You have been misinformed. Cats SHOULD be on an all canned, or mostly canned diet, it is much better for them than kibble.

Cats do not have a high thirst drive and most cats who eat an all kibble diet are in some state of dehydration.

In addition dry food is bad for their teeth.

Wiskas is not an expensive canned food, and it is not a very good food either, though it is surely better than an all kibble diet.

As you have discovered a cat will not eat something she doesn't like "when she gets hungry enough". A cat will starve herself to death rather than eat something she doesn't like.

This is because a cat can only go a few days without food before her organs begin to shut down. Especially the liver.

Since you stated that money is not a problem I recommend you upgrade to a better canned food and put both cats on a canned diet, with a high quality kibble used for snacks and treats only.

Read labels. Find a food that does not contain anything artificial, (no artificial flavors or artificial preservatives) and does not contain sodium nitrites or sodium nitrates.

I prefer foods that do not contain wheat, or "meat by product" or any form of gluten, also.

If whiskas and Fancy Feast are the only canned foods available, feed them, they are still better than a dry kibble diet.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-22-2010   #3 (permalink)
Newborn

KindelFire is on a distinguished road

My male cat loves wet food, but he is very picky about it. He does not like fish, only land animals, like turkey and lamb. I give both my cats half a can of wet food daily, and leave healthy (real ingredients-not processed) dry food out for them all the time. They eat both without issues. Dogs are a completely different animal, but I have a pekingese who would refuse dry food, so I watched how much he would eat in a single sitting, mixed that with his dry food, and slowly decreased that amount until he was able to enjoy a spoonful for taste and had dry food available all the time. It worked! I do not need to mix it now. He gets a spoonful of wet food as a treat, and then eats his dry food when he is hungry.
Unread 10-27-2010   #4 (permalink)
Newborn

Meow is on a distinguished road

i was told by my vet that wet food is fattening, and that my cat should be put on Diet kibbles. But after reading this thread, I am starting to reconsider. I will do my research and see if there is some low-fat canned food I can get my Macha, to protect her teeth and keep her hydrated . Thanks for sharing Sophie`s story ... she sure is an aritocat
The Following User Says Thank You to Meow For This Useful Post:
Unread 10-27-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Canned food is not fattening, in fact most vets advise putting over-weight cats on a canned diet. The main reason is that dry food is full of carbohydrates. Canned food is more protein dense, not to mention mostly water.

In addition many people who feed dry, free feed. When you feed a canned diet you can't just leave food out all the time. Some cats are self regulating and will eat only what they need when free fed, but many are not, and many free fed kibble cats eat way way more than they need. And that, too goes back to carbs vs protein.

They are filling up on junk they don't need, so eat too much and don't have as much energy as they should, to burn it off.

Carbohydrates turn to sugar in the body, which turns to fat. Sugar, in addition, increases the appetite, Carbs and sugar do not satisfy a cat the way a proper wet diet high in protein does.

I'm glad you will look into this and hopefully change your cat's diet.

Just remember to do it very slowly, sudden diet changes can make kitty very sick. And use a probiotic. We can help you when you start to make the switch, just start a thread on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first

Tags
addition , adopted , art , canned food , cat , cats , diet , dogs , dry , dry food , eating , fish , food , healthy , hey , joy , kitty , love , male , mat , money , person , problem , problems , royal , small , stop , story , turkey , vet , weight , wet food

Sponsored Cat Links