It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-02-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

Zipfelmuetze is on a distinguished road
Default Bonding

Hello,

I am attempting to bond my 8 month old male cat Moses and 1 yr old female cat Gracie.

Gracie tends to want to hide from Moses, because he was the one who was trying to approach her slowly with his hairs standing up.

Now when he gets close to her he tries to swat at her and she groans or hisses at him.

They both have plastic nail covers on since I feared they would scratch each other up.

They don't get into any wrestling fights and haven't bitten each other, but they don't like to be near each other.

Gracie was in a room with three other cats, one of them was male, at the rescue location, so both I and the lady at the rescue thought she would do fine with other cats.

I am wondering if you can tell from what I have written if they will be able to get along? I would like for them to enjoy each other.

I did the whole initial towel rubbing, then switching rooms, then having one in a cage for them to meet. I even have the pheromone thing plugged in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-02-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

They just need time. You can't force cats to like each other. My advice is to let them be. They will work things out in their own with time.

Keep the feliway going, make sure you have enough litter boxes (three) and pay lots of attention to them both.

The one thing you can do is to just get on the floor every day at the same time and play with them. Play with whoever shows interest, and if the other wants to play, divide your attention between them. As they play with you they may be inspired to play with each other too.

With some cats it just takes longer than with others. Moses has been there only a few weeks right? Sounds like it's going pretty well, actually.

Swatting is a form of play. So is wrestling matches, and chasing and rolling and tumbling. It's all play, so if you see any of it, do not interfere. Many cats hiss and growl during play, too. If no one is getting injured, then let them have at it. They'll work it out.

And as it gets cold they may start seeking each other out to pile up together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Tags
advice , art , cat , cats , cold , female , fights , growl , hey , hiss , joy , litter , litter boxes , male , play , rescue , scratch

Sponsored Cat Links