It appears you have not yet registered with the CAT Forums. To register please click here...

Featured Photos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-19-2010   #1 (permalink)
Kitten

stormalexis is on a distinguished road
Default Mystery plants and taking precautions with proofing

So my mom has about 6 different plants growing in our living room and Im afraid that some of them may be poisonous to my kitty. (adopting soon!) One of them is a spider plant .. and I don't know the name of the rest of them. How can I make sure that the kitten doesn't nibble on them? Bitter spray a good option? And what about using lemon peelings and placing them around the plants? Im still confused about this. I don't want my cat to be confined to my room at all. Here are pictures of the plants ..
(thought I could post! *The PICTURE is on my profile in visitor messages!*)

help greatly appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sponsored Cat Content
Unread 11-19-2010   #2 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Here is the ASPCA list. You can click on any plant name to see a picture.

Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

You are wise to be concerned. I don't keep house plants at all, because I have cats.

Here is the ASPCA poison control hotline number

1-888-426-4435

Put it next to your phone or program it into your speed dial. I have had occasion to use it twice and recommend them highly. There is a charge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to acerlt For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-19-2010   #3 (permalink)
Kitten

My Mood: Breezy
nperine is on a distinguished road

Maybe you could find a friend, who is into plants, who could tell you the names of the plants. If you don't know anyone, maybe try search engines for garden clubs in your area. Then contact one of them and ask if you submitted photos of the plants, could anyone identify them. Let them know you need to know if any of the plants are hazardous to cats.

If you find any that will be a problem if the kitty chews on them, ask your mom if you can remove them.

I'd leave any that aren't harmful to cats. Your kitty may never even touch them. I've had cat and plants and they lived harmoniously together! The cat just ignored the plants.

If you find your kitty likes to chew on the plants that really won't "hurt" him, then take action. I've never found the lemon spray to deter cats from anything. You probably shouldn't spray any cat deterrant on the plants if you want the plants to keep living! Putting lemon peel around the base of the plant could work.

But wait and see what transpires with kitty and plants.
The Following User Says Thank You to nperine For This Useful Post:
Unread 11-21-2010   #4 (permalink)
Kitten

Thank you! So I got the names and 5 out of 6 are toxic, which pretty much doesn't do me any good because some of them are big and cant be hung. But then again, maybe kitty won't bother the plants (god I hope not!)
Unread 11-21-2010   #5 (permalink)
Supreme Cat Lover!

My Mood: Cheerful
acerlt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalexis View Post
Thank you! So I got the names and 5 out of 6 are toxic, which pretty much doesn't do me any good because some of them are big and cant be hung. But then again, maybe kitty won't bother the plants (god I hope not!)
I wouldn't be wanting to take a chance. Once is all it will take, you know? Cats like to chew on plants, and if you are getting a kitten the danger is very great. Kittens are babies, and like any baby, put everything in their mouths.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
please read this first
Unread 11-21-2010   #6 (permalink)
Kitten

yeah, we actually got rid of one of the plants so Ill have to figure out something. thank you

Tags
babies , baby , care , cat , cats , color , confined , found , great , hey , house , hurt , kitten , kittens , kitty , pet , photos , picture , pictures , poison , problem , profile , search

Sponsored Cat Links